Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Glacier Peak 1921
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 7:53 am 
The University of Washington Digital Collections has a series of Mountaineer's Summer Outings photographs dating back to 1907 (I may have posted this before). They're assembled chronologically in albums that portray a detailed account of these outings. Here's one of Glacier Peak in 1921:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 7:53 pm 
This was a popular outing, judging from the photos. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 1:25 pm 
Looks like a great rainy afternoon thing to check out all these photos closely. Thanks for the information. The Mountaineers annuals are all on their website. Here's the 1921 annual that details the trip; 1910 is the first club trip to Glacier Pk (after several recons"cruises" by individuals); 1921 is the 2nd Glacier Pk trip. The 1910 volume details early ascents of Glacier Peak I have an original 1st Mountaineers annual. I got it at a used bookstore. Good stuff!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 5:22 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Here's the 1921 annual that details the trip
Great! The narrative that goes with the photos.

contour5

contour5
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 8:00 pm 
Ah, the olden days when there was nobody out there... Great combined post- an awesome treasure trove of priceless material. I once passed up an enormous collection of annual bulletins, and still regret it.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 8:37 pm 
Wow, dig the boots on the guy in picture #71 And looks like there were well established trails already. Sheep-herder trails, no doubt; but they look built. I am quite a loser and haven't been to the Glacier Pk area from the east side. I haven't seen any modern photos of the rock formation on photo #20. Looks pretty cool. Such a treasure, Randy!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 8:46 am 
contour5 wrote:
I once passed up an enormous collection of annual bulletins, and still regret it.
While I totally get what you are saying, I have come to a realization that most of that stuff eventually gets tossed into the fire like the final scene in Citizen Kane. Unless I can properly archive and/or display these bits of history, I leave it to its fate. Otherwise it ends up in a box in an attic waiting to be thrown out when I die. I wish I had the time and energy to properly archive stuff like this. It really is a treat to see it and note how things have changed and what has stayed the same. Rumi PS: This forum is often the most interesting of all the Nwhiker forums.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 8:49 am 
Kim - Great post on the '21 annual. I found the "light weight commissary for back packing" on page 55 (page 56 of the PDF) to be facinating. Ultra-light: Everything old is new again.