Forum Index > Trip Reports > Clark and Luahna and no Cookie - 20 oct 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 3:58 pm 
This is a bitter-sweet trip for me, since this was the first ever hike I did without Cookie and I missed her an this trip. I was concerned that the route might be to dangerous for her and in the end I think it was a right decision to make her stay home. Instead I went with my friend Maxim, who already beat me to the trip report here: http://mvkazit.blogspot.com/2018/10/clark-and-luahna.html I only want to add following: 1. My biggest concern was the road, since many earlier reports indicated that white river road is really bad. Looks like white river road was recently graded with fresh gravel and is in absolutely perfect condition, any car can make it. 2. Lots of mushrooms. Chanterelles, king boletes, hedgehogs, califlower, chicken of the woods. Yummm.... 3. Shepherd's trail is really easy to find and well maintained, even some logs are cut. 4. 7200 feet gully is trivial to find, in fact there is an actual visible trail in the sand leading to it. 5. Just below 7200 feet we met a very grumpy solo climber who is trying to finish all the bulgers. Clark mountain is the new Mount Si. 6. The 7200 feet gully is steep, but not too bad. 7. Views from Clark are amazing. 8. There is another gully we used to get from Clark down to the ridge. This gully is a lot steeper, frozen and very nasty. 9. It becomes progressively worse after that, with the whole route to Luahna made completely out of loose rocks. 10. Mountain goats are assholes and make it look way easier than it actually is. They choose to sunbathe on Luahna peak just for fun. 11. We liked Clark so much, we climbed it twice in one day. Well, we actually wanted to go around Clark and went down on the snowfield first, but than we looked around the edge and it looked way to scary to do in the dark. We started at the trail head at 8:30 am and only got to Luahna at 5:00 pm. By the time we got to the edge of Clark's rib it was already 6:00pm and pitch dark. We had to retrace our route by GPS to the frozen gully and climb it in the darkness to the Clark's summit, than go down and climb the 7200 feet gully, etc. The solo climber we met was smarter than us and camped for the night. 11. It gets very cold very fast. Night trail goes on forever. We got to the car at 3:00 am the next day and home at 6:00am. 12. After that I took shower, changed and immediately went on another hike with Cookie since I promised her before. I was so sleepy we barely made it to Tupso/Louise lake.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 4:24 pm 
That gully just below the summit of Clark was really nasty when completely dry, I can't imagine doing it with snow and ice! And that endless sandy sidehill traverse to Luahna...ugh. I wish I had done this as a spring trip on skis. Nice work doing this as a day trip!

contour5

contour5
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 4:28 pm 
Wow!

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 4:49 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
That gully just below the summit of Clark was really nasty when completely dry, I can't imagine doing it with snow and ice! And that endless sandy sidehill traverse to Luahna...ugh. I wish I had done this as a spring trip on skis.
Yeah. Going down was scary and climbing this snowy/icy/slippery/loose rock gully back up in the darkness was even worse. I was really scared in a few places and we moved very slowly. This second gully is the reason why I figured out not taking Cookie with me was a good idea. I'm happy I don't have to climb this gully again smile.gif Not sure how it will work on skis, the traverse would be nice, but you would still have to get down the gully somehow, right? It was a very long day trip smile.gif I'm not very fast, so my day hikes are often day and night hikes smile.gif

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 5:05 pm 
kitya wrote:
Not sure how it will work on skis, the traverse would be nice, but you would still have to get down the gully somehow, right?
In spring I think it would probably be a lot easier to just traverse the Walrus and Richardson glaciers but I'm not positive

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 5:46 pm 
Was the solo climber possibly grumpy because you were flying a drone? Small world...

If not now, when?
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 6:48 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
Was the solo climber possibly grumpy because you were flying a drone? Small world...
Sorry! But I was not flying a drone. It was my friend (way to throw him under the bus!) smile.gif Also I think he landed it right after you? complained. But I think you? looked grumpy even before that frown.gif

Leafguy

Leafguy
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 9:39 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 5:25 am 
Time for Grumpy hikers to stay home

bgs8379

bgs8379
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 6:20 am 
The dick with the drone, needs it shoved up his ass !

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 7:12 am 
bgs8379 wrote:
The dick with the drone, needs it shoved up his ass !
Well, I would not have stated it quite that way, but the sentiment I wholeheartedly agree with. Those noisy things are technologically interesting, but have no business in the back country. And that's what I think.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 8:22 am 
For the record, it wasn't me. It was a friend of mine. My jury is still out on drones. I have one. I fly it in the mountains occasionally. I don't find them any more annoying that the myriad of low-flying helicopters and fighter jets (there is a whole thread here about how cool it is to get buzzed by them), or the omnipresent freeway noise on the I-90 hikes. And far less so that wild running dee oh gees and people blaring music from their cell phones. That said, it's disingenuous to label someone as unreasonably grumpy and omit that they were so because you'd buzzed them with your drone in a wild place.

If not now, when?
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 12:30 pm 
Oh, this thread escalated quickly! Well, people seem to think that drones have no place in urban areas, because of privacy concerns, but also no place in back-country because of noise concerns. I agree that everything we do has some impact, while we should thrive to leave no trace, there is no such thing as actually leaving no trace (except by not going at all), as everyone is leaving some traces. There are far worse things to do in nature (from fires to hunting), compared to flying a drone for a few minutes over some barren rocks. Extreme anger towards drones I think is just motivated by our inner luddite - drones are new.
cascadeclimber wrote:
That said, it's disingenuous to label someone as unreasonably grumpy and omit that they were so because you'd buzzed them with your drone in a wild place.
Please tell your friend that I'm sorry we upset him. The reason why I didn't say anything about the drone before, is because I didn't connect these things - I don't know what is your definition of being reasonably grumpy vs. unreasonably grumpy, but my impression was that your friend was grumpy way before the drone, my friend didn't buzz him (he flew drone on the other side of the little ridge) and landed it after your friend told us he doesn't like the sound, but grumpiness continued even after that. My impression, possibly wrong, was that your friend is generally not one who smiles often! Anyway, again, please tell him I'm sorry.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 12:36 pm 
So much for the "no spray" rule in the Trip Reports forum, huh? Thanks for the report and the beautiful photos, kitya. Your photos are (as usual) outstanding. Is that a Shiba Inu in your other reports? = Since the door's been opened here:
kitya wrote:
Extreme anger towards drones I think is just motivated by our inner luddite - drones are new.
This generalization is not entirely true. There are several threads (in "Trail Talk" or "Stewardship", as I recall) dealing with drones. I have gone to great lengths to cite details of drone incidents worldwide and the problems that have been created by them. (The "search" function above should lead to the correct threads.) ( HERE is a good starting point. ) Sorry about the thread drift.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 1:23 pm 
Ski wrote:
Is that a Shiba Inu in your other reports?
Thank you! Yes, Cookie is a shiba. Inu just means dog in Japanese, so I usually think that saying "Shiba Inu" is a bit wrong. A more polite way (in Japanese) would be to say Shiba Ken (something like 'shiba breed'), but only old people say it like this smile.gif I'm sure there are problems created by drones, but there are also ways of not creating them. Flying for 10 minutes above barren rocks with no people or animals nearby is not the most irresponsible way of done flying. But the reaction to it is pretty angry and common. My observation was based on fact that there are other things people do that also create lots of problems. Obviously hunters kill way more people accidentally every year in the wilderness than drone people. Yet common response to that is 'huh? wear orange!' not 'ban all guns in the backcountry'. So why is the response to drones so often more angry than response to hunting? My only guess is that this is because drones are 'new' and hunting is 'old'.