Forum Index > Trip Reports > Little Giant, LCHR, Buck, High Pass 10.19 - 10.21.18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 6:26 pm 
I had been wanting to visit L. creek basin in larch season since gazing upon it from the summit of Clark a couple years ago. But when the stars (ie weather, schedule, health) aligned this year, I had major anxiety about it for some reason. Maybe because the last time I dabbled in Routes and Rocks I ended up on crutches. Possibly because trip reports made the LC High Route sound horrendous and not doable for meanderers like Ruby and me in the limited daylight of October. Ruby's been slowing down this year and I was concerned it would be too much for her. I postponed the trip twice trying to scrounge up a partner, but everyone I know who would be up for a trip like this is either out of PTO or injured. So in the end I made a pretty detailed plan, with many options and contingencies, and went solo (plus dog). Well, it turns out my anxiety was a total waste of energy. After spending a second night in Leavenworth instead of sleeping at the trailhead (bad decision - another hour of daylight would have been nice), Ruby and I set out from the LGP trailhead around 9:30am Friday. We reached the pass at 12:30 and LC falls at 4. I had figured that if we got to the base of the falls by 4, we could probably get to the top of the falls by sunset, IF we didn't have any routefinding issues. And if things started to go south by 5, we should turn around and head for the R&R red dot camp a bit further up the Napeequa valley. Fortunately we had minimal issues and were able to easily follow the route described by wolffie and Steve in some old posts on this site. We arrived the R&R red dot camp at 6400' at 6:10pm - almost exactly sunset.
colors along the little giant trail
colors along the little giant trail
napeequa valley
napeequa valley
clark
clark
snakey napeequa
snakey napeequa
clark
clark
walrus glacier
walrus glacier
l. creek falls
l. creek falls
goats across the falls, climbed about 600-700 ft so far
goats across the falls, climbed about 600-700 ft so far
retreat!
retreat!
losing light, climbing higher
losing light, climbing higher
middle falls
middle falls
going up there somewhere
going up there somewhere
we came up climbers left and then around, a bit lower down
we came up climbers left and then around, a bit lower down
On Saturday I got up at sunrise and ran around like a maniac taking photos of Clark and Luahna across the valley.
clark
clark
clark at sunrise
clark at sunrise
luahna
luahna
sunrise pano
sunrise pano
looking upstream into l. basin
looking upstream into l. basin
clark
clark
l creek
l creek
clark & creek
clark & creek
l. creek basin
l. creek basin
basin & clark
basin & clark
I was a little sad to leave the upper falls area before the sun lit up the larches there, but according to my peakfinder app the sun wouldn't crest the ridge above us until 11am. We climbed to the upper basin / pumice plateau and my sadness quickly disappeared at the sight before us. In fact, my sadness was replaced by one of those stunned giggle fits of euphoric disbelief. Holy crap, this place is amazing! I had estimated it would take about 30 min from camp to intersect the standard route to Buck at ~6800', where I planned to stash overnight gear. Actual time 1 hour 30 minutes due to view and photo breaks!
views on the way to the pumice plateau
views on the way to the pumice plateau
OMG
OMG
OMG2
OMG2
larchy pano
larchy pano
my nemesis
my nemesis
pumice
pumice
pumice plateau
pumice plateau
larches all around
larches all around
pumice, larches & clark
pumice, larches & clark
fortress, chiwawa, red
fortress, chiwawa, red
our route to high pass, for later
our route to high pass, for later
Eventually we did stash overnight gear and make our way up Buck, following the footprints of Jake and Trace from last month. After a short summit nap for Ruby, we climbed down, retrieved gear, and headed up another larchy ridge toward Mt. Berge. There was a bootpath most of the way, then an easy scramble on slabs and large boulders up to ~7500, then a quick traverse and climb up to the saddle south of Berge. We skipped the summit since we were behind schedule due to the earlier photo time warp and continued to High Pass, first descending southwest from the saddle to an obvious green ramp, then wrapping around to the north and the lake basin just south of High Pass, where we camped.
looking back on the pumice plateau
looking back on the pumice plateau
buck snowfield. footprints everywhere.
buck snowfield. footprints everywhere.
summit left of the white stripe
summit left of the white stripe
views west from the saddle
views west from the saddle
king lake
king lake
buck summit nap
buck summit nap
summit view east
summit view east
layers
layers
cooling paws
cooling paws
our route ahead
our route ahead
looking back at buck
looking back at buck
view just below berge saddle
descending to high pass
descending to high pass
lake south of high pass
lake south of high pass
On Sunday morning we climbed up to High Pass where I tried in vain to avoid taking all the same photos I took last time I was there. Then we headed for Buck Creek Pass and had a long, leisurely descent. We arrived to Trinity just in time to catch a ride back to the LGP trailhead with Ryan, a solo climber who had just come down from Fortress. Thanks again Ryan!
camp at sunrise
camp at sunrise
first light on clark & luahna
first light on clark & luahna
high pass
high pass
triad
triad
fortress and chiwawa - closer
fortress and chiwawa - closer
triad vicinity
triad vicinity
sitting nap
sitting nap
GP
GP
glacier peak and flower dome (not toasted)
glacier peak and flower dome (not toasted)
buck creek trail, buck in the distance
buck creek trail, buck in the distance
~30 miles, 10k' elevation gain All the photos Definitely one of my favorite trips this year!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 6:38 pm 
Good stuff... good. stuff!!! This area is quickly moving to the top of my to do list! Great photos as usual. up.gif up.gif up.gif

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 6:48 pm 
Such a nice trip...that area is really special. Thanks for documenting it so well with your exceptional photos and writeup up.gif

RichP

RichP
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 7:18 pm 
I enjoyed your report and photos. up.gif

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 7:40 pm 
rubywrangler wrote:
Love that one of Buck! I went up to high pass about a month ago, awesome area. Unfortunately i was fighting a cold and bailed on Buck the next day. frown.gif Well put together tr and nice job to you and ruby! Cheers!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 10:11 pm 
So many stunning pictures, I’m just going crazy over them! dizzy.gif Glad to hear Ruby could make the trip and handled it well!

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 11:42 pm 
up.gif up.gif

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 5:20 am 
That's a beautiful area

DaddyJoe

DaddyJoe
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 8:27 am 
Awesome post. I guess I should have just stopped looking on here for TR's and actually started posting as it would have been good to have a partner on this same trip only last weekend, always safer. I ended up going up the west shoulder of cleator approach, 10/14-10/15 to the buck Berge basin, That was my only goal to get up there and see the larches as my wife only gave me 2 days away from kids. I updated that route on summit post corrections, but may post it here eventually as well, it's probably the quickest... made it up in 5 hrs to the basin from trinity, although I was not taking my time, and basically bonking by the time I got to the basin. The Burn area along Buck creek has made that approach easier for now. Although in a few years the schwack up there will be miserable as the underbrush begins to grow in. I especially enjoyed the pictures of the lower basin as I didn't explore down there and yes the sun doesn't come up until like 11! OH, well Glad someone else got to see it! and one of the most beautiful areas in the state! Here's to missed opportunities.

geyer

geyer
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 9:16 am 
rubywrangler wrote:
clark & creek
clark & creek
That's a nice picture you have there wink.gif But seriously eek.gif I love this place. It's one of those places I'd want to go back to year after year, and I never feel that way. So good

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 9:40 am 
Thanks all for the comments! It's a pretty awesome place. As a general rule I don't do repeat trips, ever, but I will do this one again. With one more day you could add on the Massie HR and see the larches at Massie lake...
geyer wrote:
That's a nice picture you have there wink.gif
I tried to get Ruby to pose for a glamour shot, but she would't cooperate. moon.gif

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 9:59 am 
Very nice! I've been to LGP, and up Buck Creek to the pass and on to High Pass. Just need to fill in that missing section.

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 12:22 pm 
Magnificent. Thank you

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 10:35 am 
rubywrangler wrote:
I tried to get Ruby to pose for a glamour shot
I got some of my best corgi pics up there (both Al and Gwynnie), including them posing at, of all places, Little Giant Pass.
Buck Mt. in background; after Gwynnie showed the way, Al climbed it some years later.
Buck Mt. in background; after Gwynnie showed the way, Al climbed it some years later.
Nothing like a pupsicle on a hot day.
Nothing like a pupsicle on a hot day.
Gwynnie's masterpiece; standard route on Fortress Mt. 8750.
Gwynnie's masterpiece; standard route on Fortress Mt. 8750.
Fortress Mt. from near Liberty Cap.
Fortress Mt. from near Liberty Cap.
View of Fortress Mt. from the col between Buck and Berge; Louis Creek High Route.
View of Fortress Mt. from the col between Buck and Berge; Louis Creek High Route.
Near the summit of Fortress Mt.
Near the summit of Fortress Mt.
324. Fortress_summit2
324. Fortress_summit2

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 10:07 pm 
Wonderful!
rubywrangler wrote:
As a general rule I don't do repeat trips,
Maybe one of these years I'll learn not to repeat the same trips over and over. cool.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still