Forum Index > Gear Talk > Coffee Cup System
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostSat Oct 20, 2018 11:23 pm 
Ok i will bite and not make fun of you. On the Colorado trail this summer the elevation was kicking my ass. Hard choices were made a few nodoze pills replaced my mug, via coffee, sugar, creamer and extra fuel. Definitely the lightest set up for a caffeine addict. The coffee was going away no mater what, but the ability to have something hot to drink at night would have been nice. Perhaps hot nunn? This little device could turn your pot into a mug. Since my cozy is a pot wrap it would provide insulation. No lid though. https://www.backcountry.com/snow-peak-hotlips-2-piece-set

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 8:34 pm 
Remember that old Army system where a kidney shaped pot with handles nestled a hip hugging canteen and the whole thing fit in an insulated cover that attached to a special belt? That was a coffee/chow system even if it was quite heavy. I am curious about two aspects of your system: why do you want insulation and how do you make the coffee? The making coffee system is more important for me given I drink and go. That said, a super light, high insulation thermos-like container would be nice to have in an ideal world.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 9:50 pm 
Bernardo, you said, "The making coffee system is more important for me given I drink and go." When Starbucks came out with instant coffee, that pretty much solved my camp coffee-making issues. Easiest, lightest, best-tasting "system". A ridiculous price, but when I bought it the first time, I guessed correctly that the taste would be decent. I only use it on camping trips. However before my next one I'm going to do some side-by-side taste tests with other "higher-end" instant brands and the Sbux left from my last trip. One thing I found is that the Starbucks is so strong I can get more than 8 oz of coffee per serving packet.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 7:31 pm 
OK, I just read a review of Starbucks Via and that seems like a good but expensive option.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 8:56 pm 
If you need the occasional sugar fix in the morn, the cafe mocha is pretty good; same price but fewer packs in the box. I usually get the French Roast. Will report back when I do the side-by-side taste tests w/other brands. I try not to subsidize SBUX any more unless there aren't other options. There were some desperate times on a road trip some years back between here and Arizona. Some great mom-&-pop diners with "local color", but worst-coffee-ever.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Damian

Damian
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 1:02 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
why do you want insulation and how do you make the coffee?
Insulation- to minimize convective heat transfer. Process- cowboy coffee strained with a modified commercially available fine mesh device that fits my coffee cup perfectly. I preheat the mug, lid, and strainer with boiling water first (of course) to take advantage of the entire system's thermal capacitance. I too use a red mug. I believe this particular red has a low coefficient of radiative emissivity. Important. But it is also the only color Texaco had. I have experimented with instant coffee when I learned that was all Harvey Manning drank. Then one morning Kim Brown made fun of me with cruel comments for not using real grounds. It still hurts.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 10:35 pm 
What! I come back from the mountains only to find that I am not the only one with a red cup??? Geeze, now I'm gonna have to find another color. Clearly, I am no longer special.... I did not know that red was radioactive....maybe that's what has kept the bears away at night. I'm not going to disclose my proprietary process of how I make coffee..... better to keep it a secret....we'll, OK. At the risk of ridicule, I'll admit it involves decaf....hey, don't laugh...the consequences of drinking caffeinated aren't good. I would be bouncing off the trees...,

When I grow up I wanna play.
Damian

Damian
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 12:09 pm 
No problem with radioactivity. The emissivity refers to the heat loss from the cup to the universe via electromagnetic radiation. Same process as heat travelling from the Sun to the Earth. Most don't consider this factor when selecting a cup system. They should though. Brushwork it would certainly be a faux paux if we ended up at the same camp both with red cups. But not as bad as if we were wearing the same dress clown.gif .

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 2:08 pm 
Damian wrote:
Then one morning Kim Brown made fun of me with cruel comments for not using real grounds. It still hurts.
O for crying out loud. You're blowing it not only way out of proportion, you're blowing it out of your lily-livered ass. And you're giving people the wrong impression. I make fun of everything you do.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 6:19 pm 
Damian wrote:
No problem with radioactivity. The emissivity refers to the heat loss from the cup to the universe via electromagnetic radiation. Same process as heat travelling from the Sun to the Earth. Most don't consider this factor when selecting a cup system. They should though. Brushwork it would certainly be a faux paux if we ended up at the same camp both with red cups. But not as bad as if we were wearing the same dress clown.gif .
Ok, so I've learned a new word. obviously I don't know enough about real cup selection and just got lucky choosing a red one. Whew, I could have kept the purple one.... Yea, lets not wear the same dress. That really would look bad. Of course, what you don't know is that I often wear a skirt! I have many to choose from so the chances of us both wearing the same one, well it could be pretty high...... "Lilly livered ass" -that's so sweet Kim I envy your way with words :-) May have to copy that sometime......

When I grow up I wanna play.