Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Cabin @ Lyman Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Shred

Shred
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 1:30 pm 
Dick B, The cabin remains that I ran across were below Upper Lyman Lake and on the north side of the valley. Judging from the view of Tom's photo, I am pretty certain that this was the cabin that I saw. agree.gif The trees have grown quite a bit and the glacier has certainly shrank... I will see if I have a photo that is close to the view of the "1921" cabin photograph. Next summer I plan on taking my daughter backpacking through the area, and I will be sure to snoop around and see if I can locate the cabin that you speak of! up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dick B

Dick B
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 2:31 pm 
Shred:Ah, the mystery of the missing cabins goes on. The PUD cabin was at the lower lake, mostly hidden down in the trees and had no view of the glacier. The entrance to the cabin was facing east down the creek and the 1921 one obviously was oriented westerly towards the glacier. Also it appeared the craftsmanship that went into the PUD cabin was superior to the 1921 one. I would appreciate hearing of anything you might find next summer. I'd love to make it back up there again, but I'm afraid age won't permit it. Will just have to be content with the memories. Dick B

Shred

Shred
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 2:42 pm 
upload_-1
upload_-1
Here is a photo of the glacier now a days.

Dick B

Dick B
PostSat Oct 27, 2018 9:18 am 
Check Schroder's post re Glacier Peak 1921. Pages 75 and 80 show pretty clearly what the Lyman glacier looked like in 1921 especially the shot of Upper & Lower Lyman Lakes and the glacier from Cloudy Pass. It looks like the toe of the glacier was about half way down the basin.

Dick B

Dick B
PostSat Jun 15, 2019 6:23 pm 
Just a reminder for those of you that might be planning a trip into Lyman Lake this summer. If you have the time and are so inclined please check out the remains, if any, of the old Chelan Co. PUD cabin at the foot of the lake. The preceding threads give a pretty good history of that cabin and the one that was higher up towards the glacier.

Faintclimberstrail

Faintclimberstrail
PostThu Jan 26, 2023 9:04 pm 
Posted this to the more recent continuation of this thread, but adding it here as well so people from the original one see it. Here’s some film of the Lyman glacier, lake and cabin the UW recently digitized!https://digitalcollections.lib.washington.edu/digital/collection/filmarch/id/838/

pimaCanyon, jaysway, gumby, Julia, Bramble_Scramble, geyer
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostThu Jan 26, 2023 10:19 pm 
Faintclimberstrail wrote:
Posted this to the more recent continuation of this thread, but adding it here as well so people from the original one see it. Here’s some film of the Lyman glacier, lake and cabin the UW recently digitized!https://digitalcollections.lib.washington.edu/digital/collection/filmarch/id/838/
Very oool find! I'm curious if anyone has been on or knows anything about the trail on Gaia numbered 1256.4 East of Lyman. I could see some sections of trail on google earth but only a couple mentions online about avoiding it because of dangerous spots. I'm assuming it was a mine access route to the mine by Spider Gap. Maybe it was made due to glacier conditions at the time of mining activity. I'm also still unsure of exactly where the mine is near Spider Gap. I'm very interested in any info people have of the mine/locale.

pimaCanyon
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostSun May 14, 2023 3:34 pm 
I went to a presentation by Lowell Skoog on Washington ski history at the Wenatchee Valley museum years ago. He had some footage that the Hesseys had taken from a ski trip into the Lyman Lake cabin around 1960 iirc. They approached via Lucerne/Holden and had supplies dropped at the lake by air. They found the cabin by the shovel mast and had to dig their way in. All that can be seen in the film is the shovel sticking above the snow surface. I think they spent a few weeks ski touring in the surrounding area and I want to say it was March or April but can’t be sure.

pimaCanyon, geyer, hikerbiker