Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Federal Land Designations
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Jan 12, 2002 12:12 pm 
Wow. That is disturbing. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. After Sept 11, I really have no faith in humanity anymore. If someone could make money off of it, we'd blow up the sun without regard for the fact that we sort of need it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Jan 12, 2002 12:16 pm 
If that means *dirt* road access for the Sky area, meaning Beckler and N Fk, I'm all for it. If it means they close everything but the main beckler road and the N Fk, and that's the "special deal", nada.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
spanky

spanky
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 7:44 pm 
The Blue Ribbon Coalition (BRC), the motorized access group out of Pocatello, ID is currentyl working Congress to get "backcountry recreation areas" created. The BRC wants to allow dirtbikes, 4-wheelers on trails in these backcountry rec. areas and permit some modest selective logging and road decommissioning for forest health if situations warrant it. They're putting forth their motorized backcountry rec. areas as an alternative to designating roadless areas as Wilderness.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 8:05 pm 
Spanky, if I understand it correctly, this BITES. I love the idea of a Wilderness Buffer as previously discussed, but this mixed use as described totally flies in the face. Bleah! rant.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 9:18 pm 
I favor recreation areas for all the different recreation communities, but not in the same places together. Multiple use doesn't work. Motorized recreation can make hiking distinctly unpleasant. The trail gets churned up to a talc-like consistency, the U-shaped rut makes your feet ache, and the smell and the noise are exactly what you are hiking to get away from. There is also a distinct funding inequity for trails in Washington. From the NOVA funds, about 80% goes to motorized trails and 20% goes to non-motorized trails, even though the NOVA revenue is about 80% from non-motorized users. In recent years We have seen a dramatic decrease in hiking trail miles while the number of hikers has dramatically increased. If you go hiking in the G-P you'll see what happens when the land manager favors motorized users. Even the rangers ride motorcycles on the trails there, and the results is trails in terrible condition. Motorized and non-motorized recreation are incompatible and should have separate designated areas with different land management rules.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?