Forum Index > Food & Grub > Are Cheerios poisoning you?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 8:30 am 
Interesting development in the GMO department, cotton genetically engineered to deactivate the gene that is produces the toxin that renders cotton seeds inedible. The article pitches the idea that people would eat the seeds. I think that might take a long time, but the seeds could be put to use as animal feed. An open question is whether deactivating toxin production will make the cotton more susceptible to pests and negate the value of this "dual use" GMO crop. https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10612-edible-cotton-breakthrough-may-help-feed-the-world/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 8:57 am 
Cotton seed MEAL has been a high protein livestock feed for many years. Especially in the south where cotton is grown, it is fed in cattle feedlots. I’m pretty sure whole cotton seed hulls and whole cotton seeds have also been used for animal feed at times.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 9:58 am 
... and that would be a surprise? they feed cattle corncobs and cardboard.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 12:36 pm 
Ski wrote:
... and that would be a surprise? they feed cattle corncobs and cardboard.
and other cows...that is where mad-cow disease comes from. Anything for a $$$.
Ski wrote:
I have the satisfaction of knowing that sooner or later, the progeny of all those fat cats sitting around the tables on their Boards of Directors will be born with flippers instead of arms and other horrible physical deformities.
except they don't feed that poison to their own children...that is reserved for us. If you have the cash you can get untainted food. For now. The biggest contradiction in the Utopian capitalist manifesto, Atlas Shrugged, was that the owner of the steel mill and his family actually lived within sight and smell of the steel mill. If this was the case in the real world we would have no pollution problems at all. IF the people responsible for building Nuke Power plants had to live right next to their plant we would have safe nuke power today. They would make sure it was good if their butts were on the line. But since they can pollute with no direct repercussions to themselves, or their loved ones, we get shoddy workmanship, corner cutting and obfuscation of the real dangers - the trademarks of crony capitalism. Not quite what Ms Rand had fantasized about with her heroic capitalists.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 1:44 pm 
iron wrote:
Ski wrote:
Not really a hell of a lot you can do about it unless you want to move off the grid and grow all your own food.
or move to europe where they value family, health, community, a social support systems.
Interestingly on the issue of glyphosate the EU food safety authority found it to not be a cancer risk.
Quote:
In November 2015, the European Union’s Food Safety Authority (EFSA) weighed in on the carcinogenicity of glyphosate as well. Their review, which was concerned only with exposure to glyphosate through food, declined to classify glyphosate as a carcinogen, noting that “all the [European Union] Member State experts but one agreed that neither the epidemiological data (i.e. on humans) nor the evidence from animal studies demonstrated causality between exposure to glyphosate and the development of cancer in humans.”
https://www.snopes.com/news/2018/08/17/cancer-juries-scientific-certainty-monsanto-roundup-ruling-explained/

iron

iron
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 1:46 pm 
and still banned it in the interest of protecting citizens. the horror.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 1:58 pm 
iron wrote:
and still banned it in the interest of protecting citizens. the horror.
I'm unaware of an EU wide ban on glyphosate. Rather there are country by county laws/regulations of considerable variety. What is your source for the idea of a Europe wide ban? https://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/toxic-tort-law/monsanto-roundup-lawsuit/where-is-glyphosate-banned/

iron

iron
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 2:01 pm 
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 5:02 pm 
Interestingly, European company Bayer AG is now owns Monsanto.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 6:42 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Interestingly, European company Bayer AG is now owns Monsanto.
It may well be that EU governments follow aspects of the American model: they have the finest government that money can buy.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 7:44 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
except they don't feed that poison to their own children...that is reserved for us. If you have the cash you can get untainted food. For now.
It is not to late to learn to grow your own food - and source those out that do it, to buy from them. I might not tell you to uproot your entire life and move...and buy land to homestead on, but if you did, you might be in the right direction. Grow what you can, preserve it, and save seeds. Build a community of like minded people to work with. It's not as crazy as it might seem. https://www.instagram.com/p/BoNnG7DB1Ok/

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.