Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > total knee replacement surgery
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobcoleman0321recon

bobcoleman0321recon
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 4:39 pm 
You literally have no idea at all who he is do you? It’s far from the marketing scam you tried to make it out to be.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 5:03 pm 
Dude, a high traverse next summer for sure.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 5:18 pm 
bobcoleman0321recon wrote:
It’s far from the marketing scam you tried to make it out to be.
You make a false attribution. I never claimed it was a marketing scam. I never said anything close to that. That webpage looks to me to be 90% marketing. He may or may not be a fine OS. I wouldn't know. If I were interested in finding out about him, I surely would not rely on his website. I'd do some research, including talking to other healthcare providers, post surgery patients and researching databases with info re complication rates. I did all those things before choosing my OS. FWIW, my OS appears on at least similar informational videos (one a TV interview), but I placed no reliance on those in making my decision to engage his services. I will double down on my suggestion re finding general information re joint replacement from sources other than people and entities who profit from performing joint replacement surgeries. It's not a slight on him or any other OS who markets themselves with a website. It's all about incentives. Furthermore, IME even the best OS or OS staff is a poor source of information re recovery because the OS is only marginally involved in recovery. The consensus is that recovery takes a full year, yet that was never mentioned by the three (very competent) OSs I consulted pre-op. During the year of recovery, the OS will typically see the patient 1 or 2 times. An experienced PT is a much better source of info re recovery. Another good source are GPs with TKR patients in their panel. IME, the best source of real life info re recovery is the BoneSmart forum, where hundreds of TKR patients have shared the their experiences. I found BoneSmart only a week prior to surgery, and now wish I had found it months before.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 5:34 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Steve, what's your understanding of how this would effect moderate backbacking with medium loads, 2000-3000' gains, 5-10 miles a day?
I think I could do that now at less than 4 months out, although I'm not ready to try it because it would surely invite swelling which, in turn restricts my ROM. (My flexion has a way to go.) Recovery takes a full year. A commonly stated rule of thumb is that, if everything goes well, a typical TKR patient will be 80-90% recovered at 6 months. (Of course, sometimes not everything goes well.) I plan to backpack next year and, based on where I am now, I expect to hit those parameters early in the season and exceed them as my knee allows. I likely won't know the full extent of my abilities until next summer, although based on my progress so far, I am optimistic. Based on research and communications with numerous post-TKR patients (ranging from 2 to 10+ years out of surgery), the range of activities that one can take on varies greatly among individuals. There are backpackers who have posted on BoneSmart forum. I know or have communicated with skiers with TKRs who ski many days a year. One of them, a friend, is a ski instructor who skis 100+ days/year. He got new knees 10 years ago and he's doing fine. All the TKR skiers I've talked with avoid hucking and take it easy on the bumps. FTR, all those skier were advanced skiers before TKR surgery. One factor re post-TKR activity is the range of activities the patient was able to do up to a couple years prior to surgery. Another factor is the condition of the patient's ligaments and tendons. Fortunately, my knee ligaments are big and robust (per radiologists' comments re MRIs), and I've never had a ligament injury (other than a strain and an avulsion fracture that completely healed years ago). If you've been diagnosed needing a TKR, do your research (which I would expect because you're an inquisitive guy). I did a couple hundred hours of research, which is no surprise to those who know me. Feel free to PM me for more info. And good luck.

reststep

reststep
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 5:37 pm 
Glad your TKR went well Steve. What is your range of motion now?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 5:37 pm 
Randy wrote:
Dude, a high traverse next summer for sure.
Hell yeah. I should know by June what kind of terrain will be in my wheelhouse. Honey wants to do the PT (your name comes up when we talk about it) although I might want to get a full summer on my knee before taking on the PT (v.2 for me).

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 5:40 pm 
reststep wrote:
Glad your TKR went well Steve. What is your range of motion now?
Thanks! Extension is 0 (full), flexion around 100 after I warm up, although it varies day to day due to swelling. On that subject, I may well be overdoing it some days. Today I walked 36 holes of golf, which is great for my gait, strength and fitness, but may well prolong swelling window. My flexion needs more work, but it'll come. I was only 105 pre-op due to bone spurs (which were removed during surgery). I'd like to get to 115 or so, and I think I will, but it'll be whatever it is and I'll deal with it. My walking gait is very good, better than the 4 or 5 years pre-op, when my bad knee forced me to develop a bit of a swing with one leg.

bobcoleman0321recon

bobcoleman0321recon
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 6:35 pm 
the real point is you and others on this site are too quick to jump on people who post. In my case you made conclusions - mainly because you wanted to jump - I'm just happy to call BS. Of course people should do their homework.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 7:05 pm 
bobcoleman0321recon wrote:
In my case you made conclusions
That's rich coming from the guy who targeted me with a false attribution shakehead.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Nov 06, 2018 11:25 am 
Thanks for the comments on my question Steve. I wanted to know from someone here who's done it what is reasonable to expect from a well done replacement and proper post op work, and it sounds like you've been diligent with the post op phase

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Nov 06, 2018 12:58 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I wanted to know from someone here who's done it what is reasonable to expect from a well done replacement and proper post op work, and it sounds like you've been diligent with the post op phase
So far, I'm confident that the surgery was well done by a very competent OS. My OS came highly recommended by numerous HC providers and several of his TKR patients. As with nearly all things, I did lots of research. The range and scope of post-TKR activities varies greatly among individuals. I suggest you talk those who have had TKR surgery and take a look at the real life experiences of people on the BoneSmart forum. As a general observation, athletes tend to eventually fare better. A majority of TKR patients lived relatively sedentary lives pre-op, and that skews general trends. Yes, I've been diligent, although some informed people might say I've been overdoing my activities. It's very possible that my hiking and golfing have delayed the abatement of swelling which, in turn, may have prolonged my flexion progress. OTOH, I am at 0 (full) extension, my strength is very good and my gait is sound. Recovery is a balance of activity and rest. My PT emphasized function over numbers, i.e., achieving full extension and walking with proper gait, and said the flexion will come with time. The myth that ROM numbers must be achieved within a certain "time window" of 2-3 months has been largely debunked. (There are cases of adhesions forming that require manipulation under anesthesia, but those are quite rare.) Many people experience significant flexion range improvement 6 months, 9 months and even a year after surgery and beyond. Good luck!