Forum Index > Trail Talk > White Pine Creek Trail (from US2)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 10:36 am 
This is the one from which Wildhorse Creek Trail forks off to the left at 2.5 mi.. I assume the White Pine Creek bridge is still out, as it was about 15 years ago when I hiked that trail downstream and forded it in Sept. That would be a nice bridge to get replaced. Anybody know who makes such decisions? Might there be some reason, good or bad, why they don't want to reopen that trail? Just funding, or something else?

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 11:01 am 
The trail was closed this summer upstream of the fork you mentioned due to wild fire. Not sure if any bridges were destroyed or what kind of damage there is.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 6:13 pm 
Fifteen years ago there was a huge sign which read abandoned trail. Even back then the trail was difficult to follow because of the brush. I imagine the slide alder has completely obliterated the trail in the open areas . It was bad back when I was trekking back there. I am not sure it was ever an official trail. It was originally a sheep trail for herders. Rumi EDIT: I misread the OP and thought the old trail going up along Whitepine Creek to Josephine was the trail in question.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Damian

Damian
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 10:24 pm 
Trail was in great shape last year. Check with Skykomish ranger station 360 677-2414.

wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 10:28 am 
I was talking about the trail that forks right at Wildhorse Ck Trail, soon crosses White Pine Creek, and continues up to Icicle Creek Trail (which continues on the Lake Josephine). It's prominently shown on my old Green Trails map. Without the bridge, I'd expect the ford to be impassable until late season. One could do a nice loop White Pine > Wildhorse > Frosty Pass > Doelle Lakes > Chain Lakes > Icicle > White Pine, but the White Pine crossing is the crux.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Damian

Damian
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 11:24 am 
RumiDude wrote:
EDIT: I misread the OP and thought the old trail going up along Whitepine Creek to Josephine was the trail in question.
Likewise due to the "forks to the left" in the OP. I get it now. Anyway, I'm interested in the answer too. The ranger station would know for sure.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 11:27 am 
It sure would be nice if they re established the bridge at the confluence. I know a lot of people say they hiked up to Grace Lakes via Whitepine trail when really didn't since Whitepine crosses the creek and Wildhorse continues up.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 11:54 am 
wolffie wrote:
I was talking about the trail that forks right at Wildhorse Ck Trail, soon crosses White Pine Creek, and continues up to Icicle Creek Trail (which continues on the Lake Josephine). It's prominently shown on my old Green Trails map. Without the bridge, I'd expect the ford to be impassable until late season. One could do a nice loop White Pine > Wildhorse > Frosty Pass > Doelle Lakes > Chain Lakes > Icicle > White Pine, but the White Pine crossing is the crux.
Yes, you can do that and I have done that. But like I wrote, if you cross the creek there is a huge sign which reads "Abandoned Trail", or at least there was the last time I was there about 2003 or so. The trail was in poor condition then. The vine maple and slide alder were almost impenetrable in some places. Brush was up around my eyes in some places. So unless they decided to maintain it again it is a jungle. That area was used for sheep for a while. Not sure the time frame. There were corrals and the meadows we kept open by the grazing. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 12:41 pm 
No longer like that and no longer is there a sign

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 1:18 pm 
wolffie wrote:
One could do a nice loop White Pine > Wildhorse > Frosty Pass > Doelle Lakes > Chain Lakes > Icicle > White Pine, but the White Pine crossing is the crux.
This loop is in The Mountaineers Books loop book. At least one NWHiker was on the beta trip for that write-up. The White Pine crossing can be deep and swift, but yeah, it is a very nice loop and worth the White Pine hassle.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 3:32 pm 
wolffie wrote:
One could do a nice loop White Pine > Wildhorse > Frosty Pass > Doelle Lakes > Chain Lakes > Icicle > White Pine, but the White Pine crossing is the crux.
Indeed. I did it in reverse 25+ years ago. Currently, connecting the old FP-to-Doelle trail at the slide NW of FP can be a bit of an issue.

Damian

Damian
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 8:38 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
connecting the old FP-to-Doelle trail at the slide NW of FP can be a bit of an issue
The current trail fades out going in both directions but both loose ends parallel each other quite closely for a quarter mile or so. So, when you encounter the dead end heading NW to Doelle, backtrack for 5 minutes and head NE for a hundred feet perpendicular to the trail you were on and you will positively intersect the trail to Doelle. Heading SE to FP, backtrack 5 minutes from the abrupt end (above a steep spot) and head SW. You will likewise intersect the trail to FP. A bit of rouge trail work would permanently solve this problem. Was meaning to accomplish this task this summer. Maybe next.

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 1:54 pm 
My first TR on nwhikers was about a loop starting at White Pine TH. Park there, go back 0.9 mi. to a gated logging road, ascend about 7(?) switchbacks -- getting your elevation gain done on an easy road in the morning shade -- then follow the road's left fork. At a culvert, bushwhack upwards towards the ravine. There's a big clearing en route that makes this easier. Thwack up the ravine to the ridge, and you're a couple hundred meters from the trail. Thence to McCue Ridge, Chiwaukum Creek Trail, Timothy Meadows, Ladies Pass, Frosty Pass, Chain Lakes, and out White Pine Ck Trail (you're quite committed to it and the ford at that point). On that logging road, I watched two Boeing 767s enter the railroad tunnel portal.

timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 5:28 am 
That old road you mentioned is used quite a bit by hunters. Did the 767s ever fly out the other end or are they stuck there for eternity?

timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 5:38 am 
Report from WTA: My party of three set out on July 19th from Stevens Pass, intending to camp at Chain Lakes and Frosty Pass before returning to Whitepine Trailhead (where we previously shuttled a car to -- it is only about 30 minutes by car from Stevens to Whitepine TH, making for a quick setup). We deviated from that plan. Trail conditions along the PCT were excellent. Skeeters were pretty thick by the time we reached the first of the lakes (Susan Jane), and built until we arrived at the shore of Josephine Lake (having switched from the PCT to Icicle Creek Trail at the intersection above the lake). We realized that our fuel canister was much lower than we needed, and that with most of our meals requiring cooking and fires not allowed anywhere near the lakes or above 4k', we wouldn't have enough food for the planned trip. So, we set up camp at Josephine. There are lovely sites on the south side of the lake, just over Icicle Creek's headwater, and a clean pit toilet along the trail on the way in. Around sunset the mosquito swarms became maddeningly intense, despite the constant breeze. The 99% DEET wasn't sufficient, we all ended up with many welts. In the morning, we continued along the Icicle Creek Trail another two miles to the junction with the Whitepine Trail. Note that the Whitepine Trail is NOT maintained between Icicle Creek Trail and Whitepine campsite, which is on the south side of the creek approximately 2.7 miles from the trailhead. Immediately after switching on to the Whitepine Trail, the trail disappeared in to a flooded meadow. We spent about a half hour locating it on the far side of the meadow - it is covered by a downed tree that you need to climb on and walk the length of in to the forest to spot. In the process, we noted that the trail marked on the maps we had (Forest Service and Green Trails) did not match reality. This continued to be true along the unmaintained portion. With the trail reestablished, we continued hiking, following switchbacks and crossing several more downed trees, up to a saddle between Nasikelt Peak to the north and an unnamed peak to the south. For the most part, the trail through this section is obvious. From there, the trail proceeds down towards Whitepine Creek. Shortly after reaching the creek, the trail disappeared in to extremely thick overgrowth. It was literally impossible to enter the brush. Following the wall of brush to the left (uphill) was fruitless, there was no way around it on that side. Following it downhill to the creek, the area was still impassable, so we entered the creek and hiked along that, scrambling through tree branches that overhung the areas where the creek became too deep (chest height). Very slow going. After perhaps a half mile of this, we noted a blaze orange marker tied to a tree up the south bank. Investigating, there was a trail to a small campsite. Turning around, and crossing to the north bank, the spur trial continued back to the main trail. Hallelujah! The trail through this section is under very thick growth - salmon berry, ferns, devil's club, etc. - but you can follow it with your feet. It does not correspond to the mapped trail, but it is on the north side of the creek throughout. I have never seen such fields of devil's club: they are as much a six feet tall, and there is no avoiding them. Again, slow going. In patches though you pass through forested land, which is much easier going. This whole section is only about five miles long, but don't expect to do anything like your normal pace - we were closer to one mph. At the end of the unmaintained trail, one must ford the creek. Given that it was late July, there was plenty of opportunity to get one's legs swept out while crossing. Proceed cautiously across. On the other side of the creek is Whitepine Campground: a large, flat, sandy, shaded camp with easy water access. After a day of bushwacking and difficult navigation, we decided to set up camp here rather than complete the remaining 2.7 miles out. We lit a roaring campfire, ate well, nursed our wounds, and crashed. In the morning, the brief hike down to the trailhead was pleasant, and we went off to breakfast in Leavenworth.