Forum Index > Trail Talk > The last northbound PCT thru hiker
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 7:52 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
Navy salad, I did give credit to the other NWHikers helping out a few pages ago on page 8 of this thread.
Nancy -- Sorry!! I should have said "And several others..." instead of "But several others...". I was just trying to give recognition to everyone (especially YOU) who helped in this rescue!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 7:55 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
On CNNs main webpage now
See https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/01/us/snow-mountain-rescue-trnd/index.html

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 3:24 am 
Still on CNN main page this morning.

bk

bk
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 5:02 am 
A German YouTube story (1:37) ("PACIFIK CREST: Deutsche Wanderin in letzter Minute gerettet ...") The video is interesting and informative even without knowledge of German because of somewhat decent graphics. Various German print stories: • Spiegel OnlineStuttgarter NachrichtenMittelbayerischeNTVWelt ReisenBild ...and many more, it seems...

Samwise

Samwise
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 6:06 am 
The infamous Scott here! It’s so funny to read about myself in such a caring community! Safe and sound on a train to Seattle and then back home to Oakland! What an amazing journey, I said from Campo that I’d just keep going as long as I could with no expectations and it got me 30 miles from the border! As quoted before, that stretch from Stehekin in the snow was that hardest thing I’ve ever done... the first 2 days were fine but after Rainy Pass I got into the real messy stuff. Admittedly inexperienced I figured a “little” snow wouldn’t be a big deal but oh was I wrong! Luckily I had an out in the way of the Hart’s Pass trailhead and just followed the road down to Mazama. Conditions were so bad I was averaging under a mile an hour in the worst of it. An amazing and in hindsight perfect end to start in the brutal desert in June/July and finish waist deep in snow! Truly blessed to have Cam and Cori in my life since Stehekin. They didn’t even hesitate to come pick me up, host me for the night and take me to the train this morning, truly amazing and beautiful people! Been chatting with my German counterpart though her story is much more harrowing than mine I could have just as easily ended up in a helicopter. I’ll be back up in August to finish that last little piece and I think I’ll be making this forum my home for all things hiking! You northwesterners are a fantastic bunch! cheers.gif Also if you find Scott Spencer Oakland on Facebook I’ve made all my PCT albums public (including the final snowy stretch) so you don’t even have to friend request me.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 6:49 am 
The Washington Post has picked up the story. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/11/02/german-hiker-thought-she-would-die-snowstorm-stranger-was-looking-out-her/?utm_term=.bf19a6edf70f Hey Scott! Glad you made it out. Sorry you didn't finish, but at least you got to hike down one of the "most dangerous" roads in the world, from Hart's Pass. winksmile.gif I searched for Scott Spencer and Scott Spencer Oakland on FB and didn't find you. Can you post a link?

Samwise

Samwise
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 7:54 am 
Well that’s weird, people usually have an easy time finding me on FB... Maybe finding me through my Spencer’s Pantry business page? I’m not sure of a way to share a link to a FB profile. Many, many pictures await if you succeed! And, that road was dangerous!?

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 8:05 am 
rbuzby wrote:
I searched for Scott Spencer and Scott Spencer Oakland on FB and didn't find you. Can you post a link?
Here ya go! https://www.facebook.com/barcodebmx Scott, thanks for your story and pictures, glad to see you're safe! up.gif

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 8:12 am 
Samwise wrote:
And, that road was dangerous!?
It's on a list of dangerous roads, so it must be perilously dangerous! https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/1853-harts-pass.html To us it's just another mountain road. I did get a bulge in my tire when I drove it back in July, so maybe it's a dangerous road for tires. Thanks for the link sooperfly.

Samwise

Samwise
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 9:12 am 
rbuzby wrote:
It's on a list of dangerous roads, so it must be perilously dangerous!
Hah! Well after what I was in that road was a cakewalk. All the pictures I took were before the actual weather hit for two days of misery...

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 10:12 am 
Scott, thanks so much for checking in and sharing your story! We're all so relieved because we know what the Cascades can be like when winter comes. So happy your journey has ended well, with many stories to tell I'm sure. Am looking forward to checking out your photos.

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
reststep

reststep
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 12:37 pm 
Hi Scott, I am glad you made it out ok. Thanks for posting here and welcome to the site. I am not on facebook and when I go to your facebook page and try to look at the photos it tells me I have to log in.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 12:45 pm 
Maybe it's time to create a facebook account just to view? Doesn't have to be real.

AuroraSky

AuroraSky
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 1:01 pm 
From Nancy's first post this whole thread is riveting clear through, even knowing the outcome. Then to pop in and see Scott has answered too! Wow, chills. Thanks to everyone for being part of both these marvelous stories.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 1:05 pm 
Bet you'll hike with a map from here on out, eh Scott? Glad you're out safely; when the snow starts to fall, the North Cascades are no joke.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin