Forum Index > Trail Talk > Smugmug buys Flickr (free accounts now limited to 1000 photos w/ excess purged Feb 2019)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostTue Jan 01, 2019 2:30 pm 
http://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/01/changing-flickr-free-accounts-1000-photos/ Good news is we have cached* flickr images posted on NWH so there is no need to pay flickr a ransom in perpetuity to preserve display of your images here (we will display the cached version). If you only use flickr to post images here it should be safe to delete them on flickr (to get under the 1000 photo limit to be able to post more). *Flickr images posted prior to and still available as of Jan 2019 were cached. Flickr images posted thereafter are automatically cached. Due to space constraints we only cache the largest size available up to ~1600 pixels wide or tall. If the image is a panorama or a very tall image (longer side more than 2x the shorter side) we cache the largest size available and resize as necessary to constrain the shorter side to 1024 pixels. The lightbox will display the cache (with links to flickr to view larger sizes or video). Flickr videos will not be cached so if you are debating what 1000 photos or videos to keep on flickr, videos would be the logical first choice.

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:22 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
nordique

nordique
PostWed Sep 12, 2018 9:32 pm 
So far, so good for me, with just 90,00 images on Flickr. I assume that Flickr's giant user image database will eventually end up in the domain of a friendly site--one that does not make me learn Russian....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 8:01 am 
Anyone with a Pro account have issues with them doubling the cost to $50 per year? Anyone without a Pro account finding they don't see $50 a year in value for upgrading to a Pro account? I am starting to wonder about the value of my Pro account and I am tempted to drop it and live with the ads on a free account. Am I overlooking a major benefit?

friluftsliv
slood
Daffy Hiker

slood
Daffy Hiker
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 9:54 am 
boot up wrote:
I am starting to wonder about the value of my Pro account and I am tempted to drop it and live with the ads on a free account.
I'm pondering the same thing. My Pro account doesn't come up for renewal until spring 2019, so I have several months to decide. Other than no ads, the main Pro feature I use is the stats page, and I could easily live without that. I'm nowhere near filling up even the 1TB you get with a free account, so I could also live without the unlimited storage space. For those who use flickr without having a Pro account, how obnoxious are the ads? If they're not too intrusive, I'm leaning toward dropping my Pro subscription.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 6:03 pm 
I ditched my Pro account years ago. Absolutely nothing of value added right now. If you're gonna pay for an account, pay for an actual Smugmug account instead - that way you have an actual personal, customizable website at least. Ads are not a problem if you use an adblocker.

day_hike_mike

day_hike_mike
PostSat Sep 15, 2018 9:45 am 
Ads? I've never seen an ad on Flickr and I've no Pro account. Guess they can't be too obtrusive then. I put my good stuff, not that good yet, on Flickr. Like the way the app works on my phone and tablet. Website works OK as well.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 12:03 pm 
still no sign of "improvements" with SmugMug" buying Flickr, but they have started mining the Flickr users to see how much money they can squeeze out of them before they give up. Free account now loses effectively all of its storage capacity with a 1000 photo limit on the free account. $50 a year pro account now gets 1 terrabyte storage instead of unlimited. No "improvements" spotted yet. Other changes to kill the site while mining the loyal users are likely in work. That means that all the photos on the hundreds of trip reports I have on NWhikers site will become a mass of broken links. As will all the links I have put in elsewhere. Eff you too SugMug.

friluftsliv
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 12:13 pm 
WTF? Not only is there a 1000 picture limit but on February 5th, 2019 they're going to start deleting your images (starting from oldest to newest) if you don't pony up or delete them yourself? This is on par with what imageshack did. Truly lame. I'll see what I can do to download a backup of all flickr images posted here.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 12:42 pm 
Their announcement says pro users have unlimited storage. Is there fine print somewhere that says unlimited is actually 1TB? Here is the free users fine print: "*Free members with more than 1,000 photos or videos uploaded to Flickr have until Tuesday, January 8, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download content over the limit. After January 8, 2019, members over the limit will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. After February 5, 2019, free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos or videos will have content actively deleted -- starting from oldest to newest date uploaded -- to meet the new limit."

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 3:39 pm 
The 1 TB limit was for free accounts. They're replacing that with a 1000 photo limit. Paid accounts have unlimited storage. We all know how "unlimited" is going to work out long term. It's too bad SmugMug chose the ransom route for free accounts. They could have done the honorable thing and continued to host images uploaded prior to some date with a stipulation that only some maximum image size would be preserved. That would have maintained web continuity and freed up a lot of their server space. But I think they went into the flickr deal planning to severely castrate and ransom free accounts all along.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 4:32 pm 
Hopefully I can write a script to download all flickr images posted here to preserve TRs. That should free you up to choose whatever host you want going forward. Just don't delete any images.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 5:24 pm 
Dang. Pretty much the only reason I put photos on Flickr was to use for TR's here. I've got 1500+, so some are certainly going to be deleted. I'll just wait for them to do it to me I guess... What site would you suggest going forward Tom?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 6:17 pm 
I'll come up with something. Most likely a way to directly host photos. The reason we don't host them is our host does not offer much storage space but I've been planning to dump them for a while so this will provide the requisite prodding.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Nov 01, 2018 7:49 pm 
I have 19,809 photos on Flickr, but only taking up 14.7Gb of space because I always compress photos I post. Most of those photos are linked here and other places. That represents a lot of broken links if I let it lapse. Really sad is that it includes a bunch of the WWII shots that my dad took, including the liberation of Buchenwald.(linked to other sites) But hey, some CEO wants to get another Lamborghini so what the heck, blow em out of there and I am guessing it is likely Flickr will be shut down completely within 1-2 years when they find out no one wants to pay double for pretty much zero changes other than raising their prices.

friluftsliv
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 2:03 am 
yeah, this is a bit of a bummer. I have like 5k on there probably 90% linked to nwhikers trs, etc. I'll probably go in and nuke all the pics except pics of folks and maps.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 11:03 am 
Don't nuke anything until we can download a backup. I'm hoping to make it so that if a picture disappears it automatically displays the backup. There are hundreds of thousands of flickr pictures posted here so it will take some time to download them all.