Forum Index > Trail Talk > The last northbound PCT thru hiker
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
reststep

reststep
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 1:15 pm 
Good point Tom. I think I will try that.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gametrails

Gametrails
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 1:45 pm 
From mexico. Cali. Oregon. Washington. 30 miles from the finish line. No map. Why would he need one now. Lol. Great job scott. Glad to call you my friend. Glad cori and i were able to be there for ya. See ya soon!!!!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 6:47 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
It's on a list of dangerous roads, so it must be perilously dangerous! https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/1853-harts-pass.html To us it's just another mountain road. I did get a bulge in my tire when I drove it back in July, so maybe it's a dangerous road for tires.
I popped a front tire in my Subaru on a sharp rock at Dead Horse Point. There was nowhere to jack up a car safely and I had to drive on it all the way to the pavement. Shredded almost beyond recognition. But you take that part of the road at 5 mph so it's not like you're going to lose control and go over the edge. Sorry for the off topic post, I wanted to share my experience and confirm about it being dangerous for car tires. (No problem on a gravel road bike though.)

Jake Dogfish

Jake Dogfish
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 3:39 pm 
I read the first page of this thread last week, and just caught up with this amazing and inspirational result. Thank you Nancyann, SAR and all those involved! True heros! Respect Mother Nature and the elements as it might not be just your life you are risking.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Nov 04, 2018 6:31 am 
I thought this was movie worthy, then my girlfriend told that part of city girls inspiration was the Witherspoon movie. can any one say sequel?!? $$$ who do you think they should get to play Nancy ann? if another takes the bait, we could make this into trilogy! or like that time I took a video of my turkeys gobbling, then a video of them gobling at their gobling..×12....

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Nov 08, 2018 7:48 pm 
congratulations Nancyann for following your instincts and contacting SAR! you are a true trail angel angel.gif I'm so happy to have met you this past summer!!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 7:26 pm 
Coverage Alert~! I'm pretty sure the Nancy Ann story is going to be on CBS evening news at 6:30, in just a few minutes. Stuff like that they usually save for the end so maybe it wont air until close to 7. The promo said something like "a story about how being nosy can save a life". You can probably see it on the CBS Evening News website too.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 7:50 pm 
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 7:57 pm 
Thanks rbuzby, yes, it is on Steve Hartman’s On the Road 2 1/2 minute segment tonight. We did allow them to come to my house to do the interview a few days ago, and they were very nice. I don’t get good internet up here, so I only heard the audio from the online version, and a little of the video, but I am pretty sure our Calendar Contest photos are in the video. The cameraman asked me to scroll through NWHikers while he filmed me, so naturally I went to the contest to see if there were any new entries. biggrin.gif I hope to see some more entries this weekend before the deadline! I took Katharina to SeaTac today, and when Condor Air found out who she was, didn’t charge her the expected $180! She is going to be filmed by a German news agency when she returns home, where her family is anxiously awaiting her.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 8:02 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
Thanks rbuzby, yes, it is on Steve Hartman’s On the Road 2 1/2 minute segment tonight. We did allow them to come to my house to do the interview a few days ago, and they were very nice. I don’t get good internet up here, so I only heard the audio from the online version, and a little of the video, but I am pretty sure our Calendar Contest photos are in the video. The cameraman asked me to scroll through NWHikers while he filmed me, so naturally I went to the contest to see if there were any new entries. biggrin.gif I hope to see some more entries this weekend before the deadline! I took Katharina to SeaTac today, and when Condor Air found out who she was, didn’t charge her the expected $180! She is going to be filmed by a German news agency when she returns home, where her family is anxiously awaiting her.
Thanks for the update Nancyann. Nice to hear Katharina is on her way home to a happy reception. I saw the segment on CBS just now and it was really nice. I noticed Hartman had his red plaid flannel shirt on at one point. I love how some people dress like that when they come up here to mingle with us frontier types. hockeygrin.gif

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 8:08 pm 
He and the cameraman are from upstate New York, so the shirt was legit. agree.gif I just saw the TeeVee version and YES, our Calendar Contest photos are in the clip!
Saying goodbye (for now) to Katharina at the airport.
Saying goodbye (for now) to Katharina at the airport.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 8:11 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
our Calendar Contest photos are in the clip!
I noticed that too. Only we know that though.biggrin.gif I still feel inspired every time I think about this story. I look forward to the German report when Katharina gets home. Great photo, Nancyann. up.gif

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 8:17 pm 
Thanks, Rich, we were happy that they focused on how Katharina’s faith in humanity was restored. On another positive note, Sargent Adams said that there has been an increase in donations to SAR since the interviews. The pilots and I have been invited to the German Consulate in Seattle next week for a function launching a year of events promoting German-American relations. After that, I hope to be done with media events. biggrin.gif

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 9:07 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
the shirt was legit.
Looked like he was dressing for an episode of "Hear Come the Brides!" Thanks for being such a great Ambassador. About the time you are tired of talking about this, someone will probably invite you to Germany, so you can go over there and talk some more. Be sure to file a trip report.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 9:33 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
The pilots and I have been invited to the German Consulate in Seattle next week for a function launching a year of events promoting German-American relations.
Wow. Very nice. Congratulations! ~z