Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Global Warming
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Nov 05, 2018 12:46 pm 
gb wrote:
some random words and labels - talking points, political but meaningless.
Arguments you don't like don't turn into random words just because you don't like them. Nor do arguments become invalid because ones you don't like get labeled as talking points. Evasion won't work with me. Deal with the arguments. If I decided to use your tactics, I'd just label every one of your arguments a talking point and then refuse to deal with it because talking point. this is a lazy and invalid tactic. The fact is that their research uses model outputs, and this implicitly means their research relies upon accepting those models. When I point out the fact that change is consistent with natural change, this assertion means humans didn't cause the radical increase to 15% of acreage compared to historical fires.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Nov 05, 2018 12:49 pm 
Quote:
That is baloney. For one statistics before satellites are not very accurate. Secondly, there wasn't the technology of aircraft, fire suppression chemicals and equipment to fight and control fire perimeters until fairly recently. In any case, you apparently couldn't comprehend the National Academy of Sciences published study that proved the correlation between ACC and fire acreage burned since 1984 when climate changes started to become obvious. That is the period of this study.
Oh, they proved a 'correlation'! ....But not causation. Climate 'change' started to become obvious in 1984.... when the 'anomalies' were even smaller and the claims and models were cruder? Did climate 'change' cause the fires to drop radically as shown in the lead graph? And I'll note that disagreement with you or those you agree with is not an indication of " apparently couldn't comprehend", a lazy ad hom. It's merely indication of disagreement.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Nov 05, 2018 4:16 pm 
the latest in catastrophe...
Quote:
Climate Change Is Scary; ‘Rat Explosion’ Is Scarier Scientists warn of global warming of 2 degrees Celsius. If you think that won’t affect you, think how it may affect pests.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Nov 06, 2018 10:10 am 
Wind turbines are the world’s new ‘apex predators’, wiping out eagles, hawks and other carnivorous birds at the top of the food chain, say scientists
Quote:
Researchers at the Indian Institute of Science in Bengaluru studied lizard and bird populations at three wind turbine sites in the Western Ghats. They found almost four times fewer buzzards, hawks and kites in areas with wind farms – a loss of about 75 per cent. In areas without turbines around 19 birds were spotted every three hours, while nearer to the machines this number dropped to around five. This led to an abundance of the fan-throated lizard, a species only found on the Indian sub continent and a favourite snack of the predatory birds. The reptile also had lower levels of the stress hormone corticosterone and this changed how it lived. For instance, humans were able to get much closer than usual before they ran off, as without predatory birds around, they had become less fearful. The analysis has implications for wind farms all over the globe – including Britain, where the top predators include many birds of prey such as owls and eagles.
study

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Nov 06, 2018 10:17 am 
Catastrophism's Catastrophe - global warming to harm corn production..uh, not so much. Quite the opposite.... The cornpocalypse as predicted by a study!
Quote:
A new study published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America finds that climate change will not only increase the risk of food shocks from world corn production but that these crop failures could occur simultaneously. “Increased warming leads to global crop failures because plants are not adapted to really high temperatures,” explains Michelle Tigchelaar, a research associate at the University of Washington. "Most of our crops are really well-adapted for our current climate. There is an optimum temperature at which they grow and beyond that their yields decline. Extreme heat has really negative impacts on … the flowering of crops and also increases their water usage.” Tigchelaar’s study looked at two warming scenarios: One in which the global mean temperature rises by two degrees Celsius, which is roughly in line with the Paris Agreement targets, and a second scenario of a four-degree warming, which is the temperature rise the world could see by the end of this century if humanity fails to change the way it currently does things. With two degrees of warming, corn yields would decline by 20 to 40 percent in the main growing regions on Earth; a four-degree-warmer world would see 40 to 60 percent yield declines.
Only one problem. There are 'studies',... then there is reality.
Quote:
“One of farmers’ biggest decisions is what they plant and when they plant it,” said Ethan Butler, first author of the paper and former graduate student in EPS. “We are seeing that farmers are planting earlier – not only because they have hardier seeds and better planting equipment — but also because it’s getting warmer sooner.”
Cornucopia
Quote:
Over the course of the 20th century, US maize yields have improved by more than a factor of five. Whereas this trend is often attributed exclusively to technological improvements, here, we also identify contributions from improved temperatures during the growing season. More than one-quarter of the increase in crop yield since 1981 is estimated to result from trends toward overall warmer conditions, but with cooling of the hottest growing-season temperatures, and from adjustments in crop timing toward earlier planting and longer maturation varieties.
Open access paper

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Nov 06, 2018 12:56 pm 
Have you seen my tin foil hat?
Have you seen my tin foil hat?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Nov 06, 2018 10:28 pm 
The expensive and useless energy tax looks like it failed... badly. Good job WA state voters! cheers.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 10:04 am 

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 11:11 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
That seems odd. I thought King County controlled the whole state? rolleyes.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 11:25 am 
Interestingly the 8th Congressional district went blue for the 1st time since it was created and since it was redrawn to spill over Snoqualmie pass into central Washington. More evidence that Cle Elum and even Wenatchee have become subsumed into the ever expanding Pugetpopolis.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 11:51 am 
treeswarper wrote:
That seems odd. I thought King County controlled the whole state? rolleyes.gif
Which tells you exactly how popular this was everywhere else. It took all the rest of the counties put together, minus one, to beat King Co.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 1:00 pm 
A friend of mine voted for it. The reason was that "something must be done". That makes one for Okanogan County. smile.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 1:07 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Interestingly the 8th Congressional district went blue for the 1st time since it was created and since it was redrawn to spill over Snoqualmie pass into central Washington. More evidence that Cle Elum and even Wenatchee have become subsumed into the ever expanding Pugetpopolis.
That makes my point that those places are too close to Seattle. Not because of the winners, but just because of growing pains. Wenatchee always has had a bit of gridlock because of the bridges, but now it is so much worse. I wiped it off of my move to list because housing prices have zoomed up beyond what I consider to be affordable. Omak?? It's also growing, but at a slower pace and is fairly affordable. I lucked out on the latter. I found an older decent house in a really nice neighborhood. I have trees and shade in the yard. The highway 97 stoplight by Walmart is the place of congestion, and I can't complain about it at all due to having experienced a few episodes on I-5.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 2:31 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
A friend of mine voted for it. The reason was that "something must be done". That makes one for Okanogan County. smile.gif
Ah, the 'do something' vote. It feels good to 'do something', even if it actually harms what your cause is.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 2:42 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Wenatchee always has had a bit of gridlock because of the bridges, but now it is so much worse.
I used to think Seattle traffic was annoying, then I lived in NYC for two years. Now when Seattlites complain about traffic and tolls, I just laugh. I've been hanging in Spokane for the last few months. At rush hour, sometimes traffic on I-90 slows to 40 mph and the locals get annoyed. Why is it that people have the expectation that they can jump in their car at anytime and drive ten over and not have to deal with anyone else using the road.