Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Vesper Peak Stewardship
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostMon Sep 24, 2018 11:53 am 
Please keep this topic within the boundaries of stewardship. Feel free to link alternative discussions below in this wiki post but do NOT spam this topic with such discussion or invite requests. Such posts will be deleted. Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Washington/comments/9erxip/sam_sayers_still_missing_in_washington/ 2nd Reddit Thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/SeattleWA/comments/9hc0em/missing_hiker_on_vesper_peak_chaos_in_the_cascades/ Teton Gravity: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/321860 Facebook: Official page and alternative facebook group no longer public New Facebook study group created by Steve Monchak on 10/8 The Truth of the Sam Sayers Case https://www.facebook.com/groups/698480987181194/ (no longer public on 11/8/18, reappeared as a closed group 12/7/18)

Wiki summmary last edited by Windstorm on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:00 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
snowmonkey

snowmonkey
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 7:06 am 
That’s ok to eat your words in this case- I’m glad it appeared better than anticipated!

Ocian in view! O! The joy! William Clark
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
thxII38

thxII38
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 7:31 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I went up there today. Kind of a last minute decision. I didn't look real hard, but honestly didn't see much in the way of signs that a group had been camping up there for an extended time. They did better than I assumed, I have to eat my words.
Just a guess, but I think with all the "chatter" about the concern for the environment, from all the skeptical comments, that may have influenced them to do the best job they could to "prove" that their intention was always to LNT. Regardless, it is good to read that the area appears to be in good shape.

I love sports-bars. Because they collect all the people I don't want to hang out with and put them in one room.
AuroraSky

AuroraSky
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 10:10 pm 
It hasn't been determined if this is real or PhotoShop, but Bud posted it on his insta today (before deleting it). Unknown exactly where this is, but his description that 'he found it like this' is def BS!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Oct 21, 2018 11:40 pm 
Oh boy, if that is for real then never mind any good will I thought the group might've earned. I didn't see that while I was there, but lots of terrain up there and I didn't see all the minutiae.

BugGurl747

BugGurl747
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 8:05 am 
A few days ago he carved a wood stick in honor of his buddy with the same style letters- all caps, while up on the mountain. It's an IG video. Shortly after posting the "f### NWH" photo to IG, people questioned how he just stumbled upon that random spot? Not only do the letters mimic his, his vulgar language mimics him as well. Would there be any ramifications for something like this?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 9:09 am 
Nothing quite like showing your true colors to the world.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 11:08 am 
Implicit admission of an impact upon them.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 6:04 am 
AuroraSky wrote:
It hasn't been determined if this is real or PhotoShop, but Bud posted it on his insta today (before deleting it). Unknown exactly where this is, but his description that 'he found it like this' is def BS!
I was just wondering this morning what had become of the grand expedition, and in what condition they left the area. Now I suppose I can guess. Sounds like he (and his ilk) would be prime candidates for Elon Musk's expedition to Mars...not!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Vertec

Vertec
PostTue Nov 06, 2018 10:20 pm 
Vesper Camp Damage - before and after photos of the tent site. Before photos are frame grabs from video taken on 9/17/18 (the day the mountain was 'taken'):
Photos of the same location on 10/22/18. Notice the trench dug to divert rainwater from the tent pad, and dead "grass".
Sorry for the delay in posting this (been busy). Also had to consider implications of what has been observed in social media, specifically the "rants" about taking photos of the area. I find it strange that someone can be so "rattled" by pictures taken on public land. I enjoy courteous interaction with other wilderness travelers, including polite questions. I obey all laws and public land regulations. However I must assert that I have no obligation or desire to discuss the multiple freedoms I exercise on public lands including hiking, photography, and other well regulated but constitutionally protected rights.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 12:57 am 
Thanks for sharing Vertec. I didn't look very closely when I was up there, I definitely missed that. Didn't see the trench or an area with so much heather that had obviously been damaged. Disappointing.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 1:32 pm 
My thanks also, Vertec. up.gif up.gif The trench is particularly concerning since it will enlarge over time without intervention. Some remediation should definitely happen.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Vertec

Vertec
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 3:15 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
My thanks also, Vertec. up.gif up.gif The trench is particularly concerning since it will enlarge over time without intervention. Some remediation should definitely happen.
The trench has already enlarged. I'm surprised no one noticed it because it appeared in camp photos posted to their social media, which have been mostly taken down. However, one such "resolute" post remains:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoXiy8DHyki The albeit smaller trench is clearly visible along the edge of the tent in the above photo posted on 9/30/18. Also visible is the point where it diverts away from the covered "porch" tarp at the main tent floor corner stake. I don't know if the above post will also be expunged. If others have their own photos of the tent+trench, please post them.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Nov 08, 2018 8:10 pm 
Bud Garulo is still up there? He still making forays into the area?

pula58

pula58
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 3:40 pm 
It is a real bummer that those idiots built a trench. Such utter selfishness to dig a trench just to avoid a wet tent floor. I suspected that those guys would leave mess behind.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 5:50 pm 
Has this issue been brought to the attention of Mr. Forbes?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."