Forum Index > Trail Talk > Latest Fatalities in Yosemite
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 8:01 am 
Freedom of religion does not mean freedom from criticism by other religions or no religion. So it goes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 8:29 am 
Schenk wrote:
What I find amusing is that some folks here get away with ridiculing religion and a belief in God, but any negative reference towards any other Federally Protected group is met with accusations of discrimination and hatred. Agree or not, please respect other folk's religious beliefs and don't condemn or ridicule them.
Umm. I do not its very common to kill in the name of no god. Sorry, but I feel way more hatred coming from Christians toward non-Christains and other types of Christians than any group...

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 9:35 am 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Sorry, but I feel way more hatred coming from Christians toward non-Christains and other types of Christians than any group...
Yeah, there are those... I've not run into any personally, but read of them occasionally, so I have to wonder if that mindset is all that common. I don't know, but if so, I figure they are a bit ignorant of what the basic tenet of Christianity is all about. And regardless of what anyone's belief's are (or are not), I'd be quite happy to share a table and enjoy a cheeseburger and an IPA and compare notes of various mountains! Anyway, back to hiking...we surely do not need to start yet another 'squabble fest' here. Winter is only just starting. wink.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 10:25 am 
moonspots wrote:
Schenk wrote:
What I find amusing is that some folks here get away with ridiculing religion and a belief in God, but any negative reference towards any other Federally Protected group is met with accusations of discrimination and hatred. ... Agree or not, please respect other folk's religious beliefs and don't condemn or ridicule them.
I agree, thank you for that. And using "amusing" is being polite, I'd say. I feel bad for those who ridicule the notion of God. But, I can't fix that so I continue on as best I can, sometimes good, other times not so great.
That goes for respecting the beliefs of atheists as well, they feel bad for those who need the promise/threat of eternal bliss/suffering in order to be good people. I didn't see any ridicule of God or religion in this thread, just the trite catch phrases which people use to excuse their poor decisions and actions. I want freedom from religion in my life. And that has nothing to with freedom from God, the creator, as it is known in our constitution - totally nondenominational. I like to hike solo so its just me and God. We have some pretty cool conversations, well mostly its just me doing the talking...

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 10:42 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
I want freedom from religion in my life. And that has nothing to with freedom from God, the creator, as it is know in our constitution - totally nondenominational. I like to hike solo so its just me and God. We have some pretty cool conversations, well mostly its just me doing the talking...
up.gif Yeah, I like that! It's taken me many years to understand and to separate God from "religion". smile.gif The most welcoming and truly friendly church I've attended is one my grandson introduced me to: ECC, a nondenominational in Olympia.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology