Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Backyard bird bonanza
Previous :: Next Topic  
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve

seeking hygge
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 4:14 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I heard 2 Hermit Thrushes 10 days ago up the NF Teanaway. This is the brief time of year the males will come out and be seen. Be on the lookout.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 2:46 pm 
Saw a Western Tanager in the yard this afternoon.  At one point it landed 10 feet from my front door.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostTue Sep 11, 2018 5:49 pm 
I'd heard from others that great blue herons visit the lake at Boeing Creek Park, but I'd never seen one despite numerous visits.  Until today.  Finally spotted a GBH.  On the opposite shore from me, trying hard to look invisible.  Was also a bit surprised to see about a half a dozen Canadian honkers.  They aren't usually there.  Heard but didn't see a kingfisher.  As usual a whole bunch of mallards.  As usual they come running (or swimming) as soon as they spot a person, always hopeful for handouts.  None of this year's juvenile males are showing any green on their heads yet.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Hesman

Hesman

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 7:02 am 
I was at Nisqually this last Sunday and as usual, I missed seeing a Bittern. I have been going there for several years now in hopes of seeing one and always hear from another birder that they had seen one, and I had missed it by so many minutes.

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
ale_capone

ale_capone

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 6:25 am 
we have a swarm of hummingbirds wintering in our yard.

making friends with this guy. he has no problem being photographed. photographing him, on the other hand, is a problem...

ale_capone

ale_capone

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 6:33 am 
extended back yard this summer... this is from the hatchery on reiter road. there where 2 of them in the hatchery ponds. flew away when we walked up. never seen a herron up in a tree before.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve

seeking hygge
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 7:54 pm 
Cool pic. Great Blue Herons nest pretty high up in trees. Here's a pic of a heron rookery in Marymoor Park in Redmond:

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve

seeking hygge
PostFri Nov 09, 2018 7:55 pm 
I saw two Wilson's Snipes yesterday on the Colockum Ridge golf course south of Quincy
tmatlack

tmatlack

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 4:39 am 
Did a high tide paddle along river-side Jetty Island in Everett last week and saw 9-12 Great Blue Herons at once in several places as they scattered and regrouped upriver.  I know rookeries are usually in fairly tall trees, of which there are none on Jetty Island.

I wonder where those rascals go at night?

Tom
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve

seeking hygge
PostSat Nov 10, 2018 5:04 pm 
tmatlack wrote:
.  .  .  saw 9-12 Great Blue Herons at once in several places as they scattered and regrouped upriver.  I know rookeries are usually in fairly tall trees, of which there are none on Jetty Island. 

I wonder where those rascals go at night?

Great Blue Herons are typically solitary foragers, occasionally in small groups or 2 or 3. As you know, they nest in larger groups. (A rookery aka heronry can have a couple hundred nests). That you saw 9-12 of them suggests a heronry was nearby. I recall seeing a small heronry a few years ago at Riverview Wildlife Refuge 3-4 miles SE of Jetty Island. I wouldn't be surprised if a heronry exists in the Snohomish River estuary.

At night GBHs often sleep in trees.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 3:48 pm 
I am used to seeing towhees thrashing about in the leaf litter for food. It was a surprise to see one perched in a backyard apple tree pecking away at an apple still attached to the branch. I had been cutting the apples up and feeding them to deer but will leave some for the towhees now that I know they enjoy them too.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Backyard bird bonanza
Jump to:   
Search this topic: