Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Global Warming
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 2:51 pm 
Because it's worse somewhere else, there's no reason to complain about problems locally? I've never understood this kind of reasoning.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 3:16 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Because it's worse somewhere else, there's no reason to complain about problems locally? I've never understood this kind of reasoning.
My grandmother had a saying: "Every dog needs a flea, it takes their mind off of being a dog". If you spend your life looking for stuff to complain about, you'll always find something. I raised my kids in Bellevue, but not the most expensive section of Bellevue, my daughter in Middle and the 1st two years of High school was always envious of the wealthier kids and how much dough they got to drop at Bellevue Square. Then she did a semester of High School in Israel-- which is a wealthy country by international standards , but not as ridiculously affluent as Bellevue. After that trip she no longer suffered angst over stuff like her stupid parents not buying her a Mercedes for her 16th birthday like some of her classmates and was generally much much happier. Perspective can help one appreciate the blessings in one's life.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 3:43 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Why is it that people have the expectation that they can jump in their car at anytime and drive ten over and not have to deal with anyone else using the road.
Because we often can do that.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 3:56 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Why is it that people have the expectation that they can jump in their car at anytime and drive ten over and not have to deal with anyone else using the road.
Because we often can do that.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 6:57 pm 
Natural Variations
Advance and retreat of the Alpine glaciers during the last glacial cycle from Julien Seguinot on Vimeo.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 7:02 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
My grandmother had a saying: "Every dog needs a flea, it takes their mind off of being a dog". If you spend your life looking for stuff to complain about, you'll always find something. I raised my kids in Bellevue, but not the most expensive section of Bellevue, my daughter in Middle and the 1st two years of High school was always envious of the wealthier kids and how much dough they got to drop at Bellevue Square. Then she did a semester of High School in Israel-- which is a wealthy country by international standards , but not as ridiculously affluent as Bellevue. After that trip she no longer suffered angst over stuff like her stupid parents not buying her a Mercedes for her 16th birthday like some of her classmates and was generally much much happier. Perspective can help one appreciate the blessings in one's life.
I appreciate the answer, thank you. That said, the blessings of having traffic not as bad as somewhere else doesn't mean there is no reason to argue to improve it, so it's even better than that other place than the point you began with.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 7:43 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I appreciate the answer, thank you. That said, the blessings of having traffic not as bad as somewhere else doesn't mean there is no reason to argue to improve it, so it's even better than that other place than the point you began with.
Thanks for listening. Not to get too zen, but my perspective is that pain( and traffic) is inevitable, but suffering is a choice. In terms of the inconvenience of traffic I think it is useful to figure how much time in a week that traffic adds compared to how long the drive would take during a non busy period. Is the traffic burden a matter of minutes or hours per week? Fixing traffic is an interesting idea, but as Los Angeles demonstrated , building more roads doesn't fix traffic. For rural communities in Washington it's only going to increase in coming decades as Pugetpopolis continues to grow and tech nerds increasingly work remote from places like Omak, where they can buy a house on acreage for less than the downpayment on a condo in Ballard. But I think these are better sorts of troubles than the sort of troubles faced by Detroit.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 8:02 pm 
People live where they can work. The big bucks are in the cities. If jobs want talented workers they have two choices 1. Locate where those people want to live good restaurants, good entertainment, good medicine, low taxes, and good services. or 2. Allow workers to telecommute and live where they want. So it goes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Nov 08, 2018 2:01 pm 
In re Initiative 1631,
Thunderhead wrote:
Good job WA state voters! cheers.gif
Glad this thread is still going so I have somewhere to do my happy dance about it chickenleg.gif I hadn't seen the county distribution until MtnGoat posted it. Not surprised re King County, but what the heck is going on in Jefferson? That's a puzzler. BTW - Cliff Mass did a last blog entry re political analysis (before election day, so neither gloating or sour grapes), for those interested. (Don't wish to get that argument going again, tho') I do think something on the order of "more carrots, fewer sticks" could be worked out, so back to the drawing board, legislature!

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 08, 2018 2:32 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
"...what the heck is going on in Jefferson?"
Short answer: Port Townsend. I think it was pretty clear it was a poorly written piece of legislation written by some unfortunately misdirected people. Perhaps individuals with a better grasp on reality might be able to come up with something better.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Nov 08, 2018 3:04 pm 
Wow, Ski. Wouldn't have thought PT could swing the whole county. I haven't visited the town in over a decade. Must be growing from lotsa folks fleeing the east side of Puget Sound. I drove thru Sequim two years ago, the first time in 20+ years and went into shock: Subdivisions. Strip malls. Wal-Mart. Divided highways. Mostly been a Hood Canal side visitor this last decade.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 3:53 pm 
Like Moonshine (and everything else), prohibition merely raises prices on what people are going to use anyway, and further enriches producers...
Quote:
Once again Green economics amounts to Wish Fairy Declarations. The first Law of Free Markets is Supply and Demand. The Greens might have changed the “supply” slightly (temporarily, and only in some countries) but demand hasn’t changed, so supply will rebound. To help the poor afford coal the only ethical thing to do is invest in coal mining: Nick Cater, The Australian
Quote:
History is unlikely to be kind to them. Coercive attempts to stop the use of fossil fuels are delivering the same perverse economic consequences as the attempts to close down American saloon bars in the 1920s. The consumers pay more for a substance they choose not to live without, while the producers count the profits. A report released last week by international financial analysts Redburn predicts a similar result from the activist-driven campaign against fossil fuel companies. The attempt to starve coal producers of capital has impeded their attempts to build new coal mines but it hasn’t got in the way of profits. The price of coal has risen to a six-year high, which is good news for the coal business but bad news if you’re living in, say, India’s Bihar state, where three out of four households don’t have electricity. “Energy prices will need rise to the level at which the marginal consumer of fossil fuels is incentivised not to be a consumer,” Redburn reports. “In other words, the 1 to 2 billion people on the planet with zero or unreliable access to modern energy would remain priced out of the market.” Redburn’s analysts turn the ­tables on so-called ethical investors by forcing them to confront the consequences of fossil fuel ­divestment, a phenomenon that has swept university campuses, shareholder meetings and boardrooms, much as anti-alcohol mania did a century ago. “Given the pernicious consequences of energy undersupply, we would go so far as to argue that the socially responsible investor has a duty to ensure capital is available to the fossil fuel industry, for as long as it is needed,” they write. One pities those who may have taken their financial advice from Choice, which in 2014 seized on a dismal report from the Australia Institute to predict that fossil fuel shares were heading south.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Nov 12, 2018 4:46 pm 
Great article, MtnGoat, thanks for the link. Carrots, (affordable carrots!), not sticks, I keep saying. A "moonshot" initiative by western nations to come up with a green substitute for carbon fuels, and a means to make it available to all. And I don't mean "mass transit", either. I find it curious that industrialized nations keep thinking in terms of centralized mega-projects, even for green energy. We can't totally get away from that, I suppose, but it seems a return to de-centralization and locally produced "everything" is in many respects better for communities and individuals, although not necessarily for corporate profits.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostMon Nov 19, 2018 10:51 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Great article, MtnGoat, thanks for the link.
Yes, looks like a great resource. Most of the blogs providing info on the great AGW hoax are hosted by people with no science background, but JoNova (Joanne Codling) has a bachelors degree in biology from the University of Woolamaloo in Australia, where she also won the prestigious Swan Brewery prize. Thus she is obviously supremely qualified to critique global-warming models. She is apparently also somewhat of a polymath as illustrated by the perceptive above-cited economic-based article.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Nov 20, 2018 12:54 pm 
Ah, logical fallacies rears their head for the zillionth time in defense of the ideas which rely on so many fallacies this time, we have only the white robed experts can judge things ....which are visible to anyone, regardless of the fact that so many claims are not dependent upon the specific expertise of any expert. When an expert makes a mistake adding 2+2, it's still a mistake and anyone who knows the correct answer has the ability to notice the mistake, and it's still a mistake. When those darned non experts are wrong, *show* they are wrong in the details of their argument, in short, falsify it. Maybe she is wrong. If so, show it. No need for the logical fallacies. IF you can. When you can't, then go for the logical fallacy. tongue.gif