Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 11:51 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
From walking 200 yards?
Yes, what is so puzzling about that? Feet sweat more per sq. inch than any other part of the body...that is a simple fact. 200 yds is not the whole story of how the sock's day went and you have to ask: "how long were the boots on before walking 200 yards???" Check your own footwear at the trail head after driving an hour or more to get there...I'll bet your socks are "damp". Check them sock o' yours after sitting at your desk for a couple-3 hours and I would bet that your socks will be damp. Notice that I did not use the word "soaked"...

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 4:16 pm 
Last time I timed it, walking 200 yards took quite a bit less than 1 to 3 hours. YMMV

Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 6:14 pm 
A teaspoon of cornstarch in the toe of your sock will go a long way in keeping socks dry.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 6:23 pm 
For me boots are like wetsuits. My feet get wet one way or the other, but between the think leather, sole and wool socks my feet stay warm. Does anyone hike in warm, dry weather and not end up with very damp socks and saturated leather?

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Nov 14, 2018 9:29 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Last time I timed it, walking 200 yards took quite a bit less than 1 to 3 hours
lol.gif I didn't say the socks were dampened in 200 yards, I said the dampness was most likely due to sweat. I considered the real possibility the OP was wearing those socks on the drive to the trail head. A couple other things I considered about the damp socks: Leaky boots don't result in damp socks in 200 yards. If the boots leaked then the socks would be wet near the leak and not spread throughout the entire sock as "dampness". The OP did refer to "socks", so one other consideration is what are the chances both boots leaked the same amount, and that water magically spread evenly throughout the socks in 200 yds? My posts attempted to provide some food for thought about what the OP experienced. At least one of your posts was simply to disagree and argue. Carry on

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Nov 14, 2018 10:31 am 
Schenk wrote:
Leaky boots don't result in damp socks in 200 yards.
disagree

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Nov 14, 2018 1:53 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Schenk wrote:
Leaky boots don't result in damp socks in 200 yards.
disagree
Of course you do. I stand by what I posted before being baited by you. None of this banter has helped the OP.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Nov 14, 2018 7:00 pm 
Schenk wrote:
None of this banter has helped the OP.
But your assumption with less than full information that it was likely sweat did?

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 1:41 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Schenk wrote:
None of this banter has helped the OP.
But your assumption with less than full information that it was likely sweat did?
Do you mean that suggesting water in a boot can come from more than one source, not just a leak in the upper somewhere, is not helpful? OK, sure. That is your opinion. At least I tried to help. BTW, to me "damp" means a small amount of water distributed evenly throughout the sock (like from sweating!) and "damp" is not a good description of water concentrated locally around a leak point. Regardless, I suggest the OP makes sure the boots actually leak first before trying a leather treatment. PRAY FOR SNOW EVERYONE!!!

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 1:50 pm 
I am going to agree with both DIYSteve and Schenk. Like Steve mentioned, there is not much information to give an accurate estimation of the cause for the dampness. Was this extremely wet snow, almost slush? Were you also in snowshoes? How much use had the boots got before this? But I do agree with Schenk, it is most likely due to perspiration. It doesn't take long to sweat enough to get a damp feeling in your socks, especially if the OP had worn the socks and shoes previous to actually getting out and trudging 200 yards in the snow. Anyway, I recommend Obenauf's LP or Oil. It is used by most working people like firefighters, timber industry people, etc. If you are more worried about preserving the original look of your boots rather than waterproofing and preserving them, then don't go out into the woods. Rumi PS: I just cleaned and treated my leather boots. If you keep on top of the boot maintenance, it does not take much time to freshen up the treatment. It is when you let it go that it takes lots of time and energy to get them in good shape.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Bergamo

Bergamo
PostFri Nov 30, 2018 6:08 pm 
I wear leather boots by Peter Limmer & Sons. I use their boot grease. By following their regime from the start , I have a well protected boot. Check their website