Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Wolves need our help NOW!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 14, 2018 2:37 pm 
I had a phone conversation a while back with somebody, but I cannot recall who or when - although I believe it was somebody at WDFW. (Sorry, my memory fails me at the moment.) There is a pack in the Teanaway. It was (at the time of that phone conversation) the westernmost pack in Washington State. If you pick through all those WDFW "Wolf Update" reports, however, you will find mention of a report of wolf presence in the vicinity of Nile, but (as I recall from my fuzzy memory) it was not confirmed by WDFW. They're more than reluctant to divulge any information to the public (for reasons which should be obvious.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Nov 14, 2018 5:01 pm 
What about the sighting in Granite Falls

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Nov 14, 2018 5:11 pm 
Ski wrote:
I had a phone conversation a while back with somebody, but I cannot recall who or when - although I believe it was somebody at WDFW. (Sorry, my memory fails me at the moment.) There is a pack in the Teanaway. It was (at the time of that phone conversation) the westernmost pack in Washington State. If you pick through all those WDFW "Wolf Update" reports, however, you will find mention of a report of wolf presence in the vicinity of Nile, but (as I recall from my fuzzy memory) it was not confirmed by WDFW. They're more than reluctant to divulge any information to the public (for reasons which should be obvious.)
Your conversation was sometime this year? Jolly Mt. fire was summer '17. Haven't heard much about wolves in the Teanaway since then. Nile is quite a ways from the Teanaway. Given it's accessibility and the numerous roads throughout the area, I thought it would be a good area to go spend a few days quietly poking around with a long lens on my camera. I don't think the Granite Falls sighting was officially confirmed...? In any case, it's been known for awhile that wolves are on the West side of the crest. Heck, one was killed by a car on I90 near North Bend a couple years ago. I just don't think there are any confirmed packs on this side yet.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 14, 2018 5:35 pm 
Sir Bedivere wrote:
Your conversation was sometime this year?
As I recall, sometime in the last three or four months. Yes, there have been reported sightings, but WDFW hasn't confirmed any of them so far as I know. There was a report of one in eastern Skagit County as well. I'm actually surprised that they haven't wandered over this way yet - there are no shortages of migratory corridors for them.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 1:01 am 
After watching the news discussion about Granite Falls I expected neighborhood to be to east of town. I caught name of street of neighborhood. It was SW of town. Photo that neighbor had taken wasn’t calendar quality but I thought Wolves when I saw it. I assume eventually wolves will be south to Dog Mountain & N to the 49th and beyond. Maybe they’ll use the new I-90 wildlife bridge.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 5:56 am 
I am hoping they follow the I-90 corridor all the way into Seattle.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 8:06 am 
weird. I could swear I read a few months ago that the breeding female was killed, and the teanaway pack had dispersed. skyhiker.. dont know if you have caught this before.. a friend* of mine snowmobiled up towards grotto mt from beckler a few years back. there was a solo set of tracks he thought looked like a wolf, but took it as large k-9. he asked me about it, and I said no wolves. probably was a dog from the same house with the goat that stole your lunch.(jimmy?) turns out, it's highly possible it was a break off from teanaway. the reports here confirmed that some males had gone missing from the pack for a few months that winter. so, could the granite falls guy be from rhe T-pack? *professional photographer from Montana. has photographed wolves in Yellowstone, and out.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 8:45 am 
That's interesting Ale. I have seen some rather large tracks up the Beckler but can't say they were wolf and not some large coyote. I have seen some pretty big canine tracks in the mud at an off trail lake. What I can confirm is an increase in the number of cougar in the area.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 10:11 am 
my friend had a term he used, I think he said "walkabout". the track went up the road for miles, with a purpose. this was in January on a very snowy day. not sure if a coyote would choose to leave the valley mid winter. he really was skeptical, but said the tracks screamed wolf or wolf hybrid. I take one part back. it was reported that the missing wolves returned. so, it did not continue on to granite falls.... if it was a wolf we have had quite a few cougar sightings lately as well. got some bold young ones about.hope then learn avoidance and grow old.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Nov 16, 2018 8:55 am 
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Nov 16, 2018 10:19 am 
Wow that's an interesting article. I could see that working here to generate funds for the public lands. They could have viewing areas where the animals feed like the bears at Catmai. They might have to bring in additional food sources to keep them in the viewing area. They could run the buses or vans straight from Sea Tac for people from out of state. This could Definately generate another source of income. You would have to make the area off limits to hiking or other recreational opportunities.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 16, 2018 7:37 pm 
Wednesday November 07, 2018 15:10 PST WDFW NEWS RELEASE WDFW director authorizes removing wolves from 2 packs preying on cattle OLYMPIA – Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) Director Kelly Susewind today authorized the use of lethal measures to remove wolves from two packs that have repeatedly preyed on cattle on grazing lands in northeast Washington. The two wolf packs subject to lethal action are the Smackout pack in Stevens County and the Togo pack in Ferry County. Susewind authorized the removal of one or two members of the Smackout pack after WDFW field staff confirmed that the pack preyed on five cattle since Aug. 20. Four heifers were killed and one calf was injured in those attacks on privately owned pastures. The pack includes four or five adult wolves and no known pups, said Donny Martorello, WDFW wolf policy lead. Martorello said the latest depredations were confirmed in the last week, crossing the threshold for considering lethal action under WDFW's wolf-livestock interaction protocol. Under that policy, WDFW can use lethal action to deter wolves if department staff documents three predations by wolves on livestock within 30 days, or four within 10 months. "The purpose of this action is to change the pack's behavior and deter continuing predation on livestock," Martorello said. "That strategy is consistent with the guidelines established by the state's Wolf Conservation and Management Plan and the department's protocol." Susewind also authorized the removal of the remaining members of the Togo pack, which has accounted for the death or injury of six cattle over the past 10 months in Ferry County. On Sept. 2, the department removed one male wolf from the pack after documenting six depredations by the pack, then suspended that operation to determine whether it would deter further attacks. On Nov. 1, WDFW staff confirmed another injury to a calf by the Togo pack, prompting Susewind to reauthorize removing additional wolves from the pack. The Togo pack consists of one female adult wolf and two pups. Because the affected cattle are on private land, Susewind issued a permit to the rancher allowing him, his immediate family or his employees to kill wolves if they enter the private fenced pasture where the livestock are located. Consistent with WDFW's wolf-livestock protocol, the ranchers whose cattle were killed or injured by the two packs have employed range riders and other non-lethal measures to deter predation by wolves, Susewind said. "Authorizing the removal of wolves is one of the most difficult decisions I've had to make in my professional career," he said. "Our department is committed to working with a diversity of people and interests to find new ways to reduce the loss of both wolves and livestock in our state." As of the first of the year, the state was home to at least 122 wolves, 22 packs, and 14 successful breeding pairs, according to an annual field study conducted by state, tribal, and federal wildlife managers. That compares to 27 wolves, five packs, and three successful breeding pairs documented in 2012. For more information about the director's authorization, see Update on Washington wolves at https://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/. -WDFW- ========================================================= Wednesday November 07, 2018 07:42 PST
WDFW, in its Wolf Update of 11/07/18 wrote:
WDFW Director Kelly Susewind today reauthorized lethal removal in the Togo pack to remove the remaining three wolves that have repeatedly preyed on cattle in Ferry County. On Sept. 2, the department initiated an evaluation period to determine whether removing one wolf from the Togo pack had changed the pack’s behavior and reduced the potential for recurrent wolf depredations on livestock. The Wolf Conservation and Management Plan and the department’s 2017 wolf-livestock protocol indicate that a post-removal evaluation period should consider any depredations that take place after one or more wolves are removed from a pack. The department documented a wolf depredation to a calf on Sept. 7, which occurred after the removal period. That incident could have supported a decision to remove more wolves, but the Director sustained the evaluation period because there was no clear path to removing all the wolves without risking the orphaning of one or both pups given their age and size at the time. The department documented another wolf depredation to a calf on Oct. 26, bringing the total to 6 depredation by the pack in the last 10 months (and eight in the last 12 months). The calf had bite wounds and lacerations in the inner rear legs. Based on the stage of healing of the wounds, the attack likely occurred in mid-October. Director Susewind re-authorized lethal removal of the remaining wolves in the pack because the latest depredation is an indication that the pack behavior of preying on livestock has not changed. Director Susewind has decided to issue a permit to the livestock owner allowing him, his immediate family, or his employees to kill wolves if they are within his private fenced pasture where the livestock are located. Susewind decided to issue a permit rather than having department staff conduct the removal because of limitations of resources; the department is set to have three concurrent lethal removal operation underway in the OPT, Smackout, and Togo packs (see public notice today on the Smackout pack) Based on a recent court order, the department must provide one business day (8 court hours) advance public notice before initiating lethal action on wolves. Consequently, the department will issue the permit no earlier than Thursday morning, Nov. 8. The affected producer has met the expectation in the wolf plan and 2017 protocol for implementing at least two proactive non-lethal deterrents and responsive deterrent measures. Those details were provided to the public on updates on Aug. 20, Sept. 13, and Nov. 6, found here. Director Susewind may direct department staff to directly undertake the removal if more resources become available in the coming weeks.
-WDFW- ========================================================== Wednesday November 07, 2018 09:49 PST WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM Gray Wolf Update A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website HERE
WDFW, in its Smackout Wolf Update of 11/07/18 wrote:
WDFW Director Kelly Susewind today authorized department staff to lethally remove wolves from the Smackout pack, which has repeatedly preyed on cattle on private grazing lands in Stevens County. WDFW staff have confirmed that on five separate occasions since Aug. 20, one or more members of the Smackout pack injured one calf and killed four heifers on private pastures. The depredations were reported to the public on Oct. 1 and 25, and Nov. 1 and 6. •On Aug. 20, WDFW staff that conducted the investigation documented bite lacerations and bite puncture wounds to the left hamstring, lower left hindquarter, the groin, lower right hindquarter and right flank. Hemorrhaging to the underlying tissue could be seen on the lower left hindquarter and left hamstring as indicated by swelling. Infection had set in on three of the wounds. The injuries to the calf are consistent with a signature style wolf attack. •On Oct. 14, WDFW staff that conducted the investigation documented bite lacerations associated with hemorrhaging, large canid tracks at the scene, and collar locations near the site. The bite lacerations and puncture wounds to the rear legs and tail consistent with a signature style wolf attack. •On Oct. 21, WDFW staff that conducted the investigation documented several bite lacerations, bite puncture wounds, and hemorrhaging to the underlying tissue adjacent to the wounds were discovered. The wound types and high target areas on the cow are consistent with a signature style wolf attack. GPS data from a collared member of the Smackout pack places the collared wolf in the same location that the cow was discovered deceased. •On Oct. 31, WDFW staff that conducted the investigation documented bite lacerations and puncture wounds on the right and left hindquarter on an external examination of the hide. Lacerations and puncture wounds were present on the inner and outer portion of both legs, as well as both sides of the rump. There were also bite lacerations and puncture marks on the right front leg just behind the elbow. Skinning the carcass in those areas revealed hemorrhaging to the muscle tissue. •On Nov. 1, WDFW staff that conducted the investigation documented bite lacerations and puncture wounds on the right and left hindquarter on an external examination of the hide. Lacerations and puncture wounds were present on the inner and outer portion of both legs, as well as both sides of the rump and the tail. There were also bite lacerations and puncture marks on the left front leg just behind the elbow. Skinning the carcass on the left portion of the hindquarter revealed hemorrhaging to the muscle tissue. Susewind authorized “incremental” removal of wolves from the pack, consistent with the guidance of the state’s Wolf Conservation and Management Plan and the department’s 2017 wolf-livestock interaction protocol. Both the plan and protocol define initial incremental removal as meaning one or two wolves. Under the guidance of the protocol, WDFW considers lethal action against wolves if department staff confirm three predations by wolves on livestock within 30 days, or four within 10 months. Depredations confirmed by WDFW since Aug. 20 meet both those thresholds. Based on a recent court order, the department must provide one business day (8 court hours) advance public notice before initiating lethal action on wolves. Consequently, the department will initiate lethal removal efforts no earlier than Thursday morning, Nov. 8. WDFW will use humane lethal removal methods consistent with state and federal laws. The objective is to use the best methods available while considering human safety, humaneness to wolves, swift completion of the removal, weather, efficacy, and cost. Likely options in this case include shooting from a helicopter, trapping, and shooting from the ground. Per the guidance in the plan and protocol, incremental removal includes periods of active removals or attempts to remove wolves followed by periods of evaluation to determine if pack behavior has changed. The department documented the presence of the pack in 2011. Recent surveys indicate the pack includes four or five adult wolves, including one collared adult female. There is no evidence of pups this year. The protocol sets the expectation that livestock producers employ at least two non-lethal measures to deter wolves from preying on livestock before WDFW will consider lethal action. In this case, there are two affected producers and both have met the expectation for using at least two non-lethal measures best suited for their operation. Details of the non-lethal measures were provided to the public in the Nov. 6 update found below. The goal of lethal removal as described in the Wolf Conservation and Management Plan is to manage wolf-livestock conflicts to minimize livestock losses without undermining the recovery of a sustainable wolf population. The purpose of the Smackout lethal action is to change wolf pack behavior to reduce the potential for continued depredations on livestock while continuing to promote wolf recovery. More information is available online at https://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/livestock/final_protocol_for_wolf-livestock_interactions_jun012017.pdf. Consistent with the terms of the plan and protocol, the rationale for lethal removal of Smackout wolves is as follows: 1.WDFW has documented five wolf depredations by the pack within the last 10 months and four in the last 30 days. All of the incidents were confirmed wolf depredations, resulting in one injured calf and four dead heifers. All five depredations in this area occurred since Aug. 20. 2.At least two (2) pro-active deterrence measures and various responsive measures, put in place after the initial depredations, have failed to meet the goal of changing pack behavior to reduce the potential for continued predation on livestock. 3.WDFW expects depredations to continue based of the history of depredations. 4.The department has documented the use of appropriate deterrents and has informed the public in a timely manner, as described in the protocol. 5.The lethal removal of wolves is not expected to harm the wolf population’s ability to reach recovery objectives statewide or within the state’s eastern recovery region. Comparing the actual level of wolf mortality to that modeled in the Wolf Conservation and Management Plan (appendices G and H), actual average wolf mortality is about 8.6 animals or 11 percent of the estimated population from 2011-2018. This level is well below the 28 percent baseline annual mortality assumed in the wolf plan model before any simulated wolf removals, which incorporates a 30 percent lethal removal mortality in addition to the baseline mortality. The modeling assumed the regional wolf population was at the regional recovery objective. In fact, the wolf population in the eastern recovery region has increased to more than three times the regional recovery objective. The Department will keep the public informed about this activity through weekly updates, and will issue a final report on any lethal removal actions after the operation has concluded. Packs Referenced: Smackout Last Updated: Nov. 7, 2018 9:49 AM
-WDFW- ========================================================= Thursday November 15, 2018 16:43 PST WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM Gray Wolf Update A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website HERE
WDFW, in its Smackout Wolf Update of 11/15/18 wrote:
On Nov. 8, a Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) marksman shot and killed an adult male member of the Smackout wolf pack, which has repeatedly preyed on cattle on private grazing lands in Stevens County. At that time, the pack included four to five adult wolves and no known pups. WDFW Director Kelly Susewind authorized the incremental removal of one to two members of the Smackout pack after WDFW field staff confirmed that the pack preyed on five cattle since Aug. 20. The affected livestock producers had several proactive non-lethal wolf deterrent measures in place while livestock were on the range, including calving outside of known wolf territory, containment of livestock in fenced pastures, human presence around livestock, range riders, Fox lights and radio-activated guard (RAG) boxes in specific pastures, hazing wolves with nonlethal munitions, fladry, and the removal and/or confinement of sick and injured livestock and livestock carcasses (see wolf update on Nov. 6 for details for each producer). After moving their cattle to private pastures, the producers also maintained human presence around livestock, deployed range riders and fladry, and observed approved sanitation practices place. Four heifers were killed and one calf was injured in those depredation incidents, meeting the criteria for considering lethal action under WDFW's wolf-livestock interaction protocol. Under that policy, WDFW can lethally remove wolves if department staff documents three depredations by wolves on livestock within 30 days, or four within ten months, and depredations are expected to continue. Because the most recent depredations involved larger cattle located on private pastures, WDFW wildlife managers expected the pattern of livestock depredation by wolves in this area to continue, leading to the recommendation of lethal removal. After WDFW staff reported removing the adult male wolf, Susewind suspended removal operations and initiated an evaluation period to determine if that action will disrupt the pack’s pattern of depredating livestock. If WDFW documents another livestock depredation that likely occurred after removing the wolf, the department may consider another lethal removal action under the guidelines of the 2017 Wolf-Livestock Interaction Protocol and the Wolf Conservation and Management Plan of 2011. The goal of lethal removal as described in the Wolf Conservation and Management Plan is to manage wolf-livestock conflicts to minimize livestock losses without hindering recovery of a sustainable wolf population. The purpose of the Smackout lethal action was to change wolf pack behavior to reduce the potential for continued depredations on livestock while continuing to promote wolf recovery. Packs Referenced: Smackout Last Updated: Nov. 15, 2018 4:41 PM
-WDFW- =========================================================
WDFW, in its Wolf Update of 11/15/18 wrote:
On Nov. 13, WDFW Director Kelly Susewind paused action seeking to lethally remove the two remaining wolves from a pack that repeatedly preyed on cattle while occupying the old Profanity Territory (OPT) in Ferry County. However, the agency has not moved into a formal evaluation period. On Sept. 12, Susewind authorized the initial incremental removal of OPT pack members after WDFW field staff confirmed that the pack had killed one calf and injured five others during the previous eight days on a U.S. Forest Service grazing allotment in the Kettle Range. The Director’s action was consistent with both the state’s Wolf Conservation and Management Plan and the department’s Wolf-Livestock Interaction Protocol, which allows WDFW to use lethal means to reduce future livestock depredations if the department documents three depredations by a pack on livestock within 30 days, or four within ten months. Previously, on Sept. 28, WDFW had suspended the use of lethal measures after removing two wolves (a juvenile wolf and an adult female) from the pack, and initiated an evaluation period to determine whether that action would change the pack’s behavior. However, by Oct. 23, the department documented six more depredations by the pack during the evaluation period for a total of 16 depredations (13 injured and three killed livestock) by the pack in under two months. The additional depredations prompted Susewind to reauthorize the removal operation. Using aircraft, WDFW staff attempted to remove the remaining two pack members (a collared adult male and an uncollared juvenile wolf) multiple times over a two-week period. Staff were unable to locate the uncollared wolf due to the dense forest canopy. The proactive non-lethal deterrents deployed in the area are described in the wolf updates on Sept. 28, Oct. 19, and Oct. 26. By Nov. 9, the producer had removed all but a few of the 198 pairs from the grazing allotment. Director Susewind is assessing the situation before considering any further action. Last Updated: Nov. 15, 2018 5:04 PM
-WDFW-

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Nov 17, 2018 7:01 pm 
Good news for Eastern Washington! Congress passes bill to drop Wolf protection in lower 48!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Nov 17, 2018 7:04 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Finally some news! Congress drops ban on wolf hunting in lower 48!
Passed the house 196 -180, a fairly narrow margin , Senate will need to take up the bill. Could be the type of legislation that the lame duck Congress might pass, but they will need to to do so before the xmas recess. Sounds like a bit of "feel good" legislation for the "base" that is unlikely to become law, sort of like the many "repeal Obamacare" bills passed by the house that went nowhere in the Senate..

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Nov 17, 2018 7:27 pm 
What a joke, the legislation contains the following text:
H. R. 6784 wrote:
(1) shall not be subject to judicial review
Sounds tailor made to be tossed out by the courts and then used as a fund raising issue by rural members of Congress. Tim Eyman made a career of crafting one unconstitutional initiative after another and doing big fundraising when they were tossed out. Looks like Rep. Duffy is borrowing from Eyman's playbook.