Forum Index > Trail Talk > Smithbrook and Slednecks
Previous :: Next Topic  
AlpineRose

AlpineRose

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 8:47 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
christensent, I'm curious about that wand attached to the rear of your vehicle.  Is it so you can find it after the snow gets deep enough to completely bury it?
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Chico

Chico

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 8:50 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
christensent, I'm curious about that wand attached to the rear of your vehicle.  Is it so you can find it after the snow gets deep enough to completely bury it?

CB radio antenna!

--------------
http://capitolriders.org
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
christensent

christensent

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 6:43 pm 
Yes, it's a CB antenna

CC wrote:
Nope.  Looks like about 30."  If you drive Smithbrook now I'll believe you about the 6'.

Well obviously a vehicle doesn't sink all the way to the bottom of the snowpack. My Jeep has a footprint of about 15 square feet when the tires are aired down and the full tire diameter is contacting the snow. That's on the same order as someone on snowshoes in ground pressure.

No photographic evidence of 6 feet, but here's a true 5 feet in the middle of the road, and higher up a road sign buried (I responsibly turned around at the watershed).

I will probably never run Smithbrook in the winter, digging a ramp up many feet of snow is some serious work! There are better roads to run.

--------------
Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Dalekz

Dalekz

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 8:32 am 
And if you get stuck, it could end up like this one

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/03/14/jeep-found-under-twenty-feet-of-snow/
Brucester

Brucester

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 7:01 am 
In the wilderness yesterday headed to Lake Valhalla with a friend, all we heard for awhile were revving machines. It was almost as if they were trying to annoy the wild out of us! But you know after we basked in the sun before a spectacular view while sipping bourbon we totally forgot what we heard earlier. Boots and silence is where it's at kids!!!
Celticclimber

Celticclimber

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 4:36 pm 
I've been skiing that road for decades.
And overall , as much as I   don't  like 'em, most of
those crotch rocket types have been OK.
Sucks that there are some that can't respect us non-motorized types.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 2:23 pm 
Sometimes you gotta watch out for these guys losing their 'biles!!!! Guy comes around a corner hot on a 'bile, it can slip out and go thrashin' into the trees!!! Gets to be a wild scene out there some days

--------------
i go to the FITNESS GYMS!!!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
ale_capone

ale_capone

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 9:42 am 
I drove up smithbrook and over rainy pass on Tuesday. seen the sled tracks. somebody is probably gonna need new carbides on their skis...

I'd say maybe 1 foot max at the pass. seemed more like 8"s. road is slippery, but should be passable for most AWD with good winter tires.

snow creek trail access was fun. someone finally removed the giant log, and boulder that where partially blocking the road.

lots of evidence of vehicles getting stuck, or sliding around. seen someone was doing boot/ski laps down the road from the pass on my way out.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Smithbrook and Slednecks
Jump to:   
Search this topic: