Forum Index > Trail Talk > The last northbound PCT thru hiker
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 8:26 pm 
Thanks for posting the video. The clip from Katharina's phone shows she was really scared and knew she was in trouble.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 10:25 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
Rumi, that person was Sargeant John Adams, the Snohomish County Sheriff who called me back shortly after I made the second 911 call. I told him I had figured out approximately where Katharina would be,
Yes, Sergeant Adams was a key part of the success of this mission. He didn't delay. He reached out to Chelan County, Stehekin and Holden Village to see if Katharina had been spotted. Then back to Nancyann and finally the pilots. You can see him in this KOMO video during the first part of the interview. Great teamwork all around. ~z

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Nov 16, 2018 8:35 am 
From Snohomish County Sheriff's Office
Quote:
Last night Sultan resident Nancy Abell and Search and Rescue Chief Pilot Bill Quistorf were honored by Ulrich Fischer, Honorary Consul of Germany, for their outstanding work in the October 29th rescue of Pacific Crest Trail hiker, Katharina Groene of Germany. Mr. Fischer started the evening with presenting Chief Pilot Quistorf and Nancy Abell with German-American Friendship Awards. It was an honor for the Sheriff's Office to be a part of such an incredible event. Thank you to the German Honorary Consulate in Seattle for such a special evening.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 16, 2018 7:11 pm 
wow! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
bk

bk
PostMon Nov 19, 2018 2:10 am 
A few more story references: German Embassy Washington (FaceBook) has two photos of Nancy and Mr. Quistorf at the ceremony. • radio station Spirit 105.3, short, 1:45 segment (mis-pronounces name "Green" and puts age down from 34 to 20's; but still a nice take on the story). • 3-minute podcast, Good News Gurus, Los Angeles, CA.

Scramblin Rover

Scramblin Rover
PostFri Nov 03, 2023 3:13 pm 
Wanted to bump this amazing thread - surely one the finest moments in the history of this site - to mark the 5-year anniversary of Katharina Groene's rescue. Nancyann is a national treasure.

seawallrunner, Navy salad, reststep, contour5, Seventy2002, solohiker, Roly Poly, Aussie, RichP, awilsondc, day_hike_mike, Anne Elk
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Nov 03, 2023 10:00 pm 
That was a pretty exciting time, for sure! Thanks for the kind words, but “National Treasure” is a bit of a stretch. lol.gif That reminds me, I haven’t talked to Katharina lately, I should check in with her. She’s a very unique and adventurous young lady, always has interesting plans in the works.😊 Three years ago, I was able to go to Mica Lake, where she tried to shelter from the storm. Even in August, it was cold, windy and inhospitable. I shuddered when I pictured her trying to stay alive all by herself in much more severe conditions and with much less daylight. She was incredibly brave and resourceful. She told me it was because she is only half German, the other half is Russian. I also visited the site where the Snohomish County SAR helicopter pilots rescued Katharina, just below Fire Creek Pass. My pals Paul and Erik were with me, and the three of us were in awe at the skill and heroism they displayed to save her life. It was a pretty emotional time for me, picturing her as she put it “running for her life” for a mile down the hill to make sure they saw her. Such heroes!

Navy salad, bullfrog, sooperfly, reststep, contour5, Silas, Anne Elk, day_hike_mike, melc, RichP, Mountainfisherman, Chief Joseph, Bootpathguy  Scramblin Rover, geyer
Scramblin Rover

Scramblin Rover
PostSat Nov 04, 2023 12:39 pm 
This is a very cool update! It must have been quite an experience to visit Mica Lake after all that transpired - it seems like a very wild and remote area.
Nancyann wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, but “National Treasure” is a bit of a stretch. lol.gif
Don't sell yourself short.

Nancyann
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostSat Nov 11, 2023 4:03 pm 
I agree..do not sell yourself short. Saving another person's life is amazing and give the conditions..for her to be able to get out to the Suiattle trail would have been near impossible. You rock.

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams

Nancyann
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 4:20 pm 
I remember this well, remember checking the weather forecast twice a day until she was picked up, and thought it was quite a moment for this electronic village. Nancyann, you do deserve recognition.

Off trail rambler

Nancyann