Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Camp Fire in California deadliest US fire in more than a century
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostSat Nov 17, 2018 9:54 am 
The terrible news about this fire is that in addition to 71 killed, over 1000 people are at this time missing. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/camp-fire-missing-person-list-doubles_us_5bef8a53e4b0b84243e27cd4

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Nov 17, 2018 11:45 am 
I have heard on high authority that the fires occurred because people had not been raking up leaves by their houses wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSat Nov 17, 2018 3:22 pm 
1,000 people missing! Seems like media has been slow to focus on this. Much smaller incidents, or even potential incidents, have has more attention. This is a tragedy of major proportions.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Nov 17, 2018 4:04 pm 
Sadly, I think the final toll will significantly exceed that of The Great Fire / Big Blowup of 1910 that killed 87. I hope that that almost all of the missing are logistical issues, but that may be wishful thinking.

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostSat Nov 17, 2018 4:09 pm 
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Nov 17, 2018 6:23 pm 
Jaberwock, could you please describe what that link is? An article, a website, a ??? Thanks. ~z

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Nov 17, 2018 6:24 pm 
And it is still burning. And the east part of the fire has a red flag warning complete with high wind gusts forecast until tomorrow (Sunday) evening. Here is the map I posted this morning with the perimeter based on an infrared flight late yesterday afternoon. https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=39.717754,-121.507051&zoom=11&basemap=USA_basemap&overlay=VIIRS_24_hours,MODIS_24_hours&txtfile=https://mappingsupport.com/p2/special_maps/disaster/USA_wildland_fire.txt&fire=CA,Camp

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Nov 17, 2018 8:05 pm 
Compare to the 1910 Fires, or to Tenerife runway disaster?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostSat Nov 17, 2018 8:41 pm 
It's been tough to watch the coverage. 70mph winds on the first day, at one point burning the equivalent of a football field every second... Ugh. I also fear for the final body count. Scenes like this make me want to scream at this dude to get the hl OUT. https://mobile.twitter.com/SBCOUNTYFIRE/status/1062630744927813634

~Mom jeans on wheels
Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostSat Nov 17, 2018 10:21 pm 
Sorry guys, but the raking leaves comments, etc are in poor taste. My in laws are all from Chico, I know multiple people that have had their homes burned to the ground. None of the locals are in a joking mood.

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostSun Nov 18, 2018 2:04 am 
The link is a podcast episode from 99%invisible web page with audio interviews, pictures and captioned text. They assert that the increase in wildfires is a trend and must learn to deal with it. The main question posited is "what causes houses to burn in wildfires" and much attention is given to house construction and habitat. The primary source is Jack Cohen so there is inevitably a slant but approach is less focused on blame and more on solution. Give it a look Z, or a listen.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Nov 18, 2018 9:45 am 
Jack, unfortunately that was not a joke it is what a very high government official said, whose name cannot be mentioned.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostSun Nov 18, 2018 10:51 am 
Well, my apologies then.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Nov 18, 2018 10:58 am 
Michael Lewis wrote:
The link is a podcast episode from 99%invisible web page with audio interviews, pictures and captioned text.
Awesome. I appreciate it. ~z

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Nov 18, 2018 2:18 pm 
It is terrible. I am wondering if any of those communities have ever thought of making one or more safety zones. Large clearings like a multi soccer field area? A place where people might go to as a last resort. Places within walking distance? For example, should something happen here, and I doubt that it would, I would go to the Stampede Grounds which has river on two sides, highway on two sides and not many trees or burnable things. Second choice might be a large parking lot at a store--Home Depot, North 40, etc. I hope they look into it while rebuilding. I am not familiar with that scale of a fire though,(high winds, flame lengths, intensity) so may be on the wrong track. They'll probably have a lot to think about as well other towns. Doesn't sound like all the fire safe hype worked. Lordy, just finding a place to live in for the survivors. It sounds daunting. I fear it will be. Pretty depressing. Jake, I hope all is well for your family and friends.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities