Forum Index > Gear Talk > RescueME Beacons?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostMon Nov 19, 2018 6:46 pm 
Been watching the multiple threads about InReach, SPOT versus PLBs and wanted to know if anyone has looked at the Ocean Signal RescueME PLB? I do a lot of backcountry hiking and usually have a lot of comm gear with me (Forest Service Radio if I'm doing an "on-duty hike", 2meter HAM mobile radio, and cell phone (t-mobile, mostly useless unless near Snoqualmie Pass). So I usually have some means of getting a non-emergency message out and some methods of receiving inquiries. My real challenge what to do if I'm hurt and out of touch. I generally don't want to pay a monthly service charge so people can TM me (or I can TM them), mostly because I'm cheap. I ran across a review the RescueME and I'm impressed-- less than 1/2 lb, not much bigger than a box of matches, waterproof (but won't float-- too dense). https://oceansignal.com/products/plb1/ Anyone have one of these or thinking about one?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hbb

hbb
PostTue Nov 20, 2018 11:14 am 
Edit: INevermind, I had posted a response, but I mistakenly thought you were asking about the MOB1 (rather than the PLB1), which is a different product entirely.

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostTue Nov 20, 2018 8:53 pm 
I've carried a RescueME PLB1 for the last couple years. Haven't had to use it, but I feel confident in it. I chose a "dumb" PLB over a satellite messenger (like inreach or spot) because I want to not have the obligation to check in with family/etc. while I'm out. I used to have a spot device, but got tired of feeling like I had to check in every night with family. And when I chose not to check in or my message didn't go through I knew people were worrying/wondering at home. I also appreciate the uncertainty of condition changes/etc. that come from not knowing what the weather is going to do every day. One of my fiends had an inreach that would tell her the weather every day, where's the fun in that?! When I'm out in the hills, I'm out in the hills. Unless I break a leg... Then I want a heli smile.gif