Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Camp Fire in California deadliest US fire in more than a century
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Nov 20, 2018 12:06 am 
It’s not just the composition on siding and metal roofs, which of course are important. It is the risk of embers entering the building. Much of the risk of a structure catching fire is the wind driven embers that find their way into vents, as well cracks in soffits and dormers. A lot of recent research has gone into looking at this, and some new building codes are now requirements and recommendations. An example from the CA. Coop. Extension Service: https://ucanr.edu/sites/fire/Prepare/Building/Vents/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Nov 20, 2018 1:51 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Hardiplank and other cement boards come in a variety of styles. I had that on my last house. It had a fake wood grain on it. Then add a metal roof. Metal roofs also come in a variety of shapes and colors. Some here in town have steel shingles, or some kind of metal shingles that look quite nice. The good thing about metal roofs is that if they have a nice slope, needles and snow slide off.
Tile would also be a good choice.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Nov 20, 2018 4:40 am 
All, We have been getting news feeds from a Paradise resident who is retired USFS firefighter. Two cool stories: Paradise HS volleyball qualified for playoffs but uniforms and equipment burned up. HS athletic assoc. says they can play in shorts and tees, but when they arrived at opponents' court the opposing team/parents/local boosters had bought them all uniforms! Paradise HS crosscountry runner qualified for state competition but could not attend meet due to evacuation. HS athletic assoc. says he can do solo "run in" and see if he can hit qualification time but with no "pacers" almost impossible. So, one of state best runners travels to "solo run in" and paces the Paradise runner who, with pacer help, PR's and easily qualifies for state comp. Tom

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Nov 20, 2018 7:13 am 
jinx'sboy wrote:
It’s not just the composition on siding and metal roofs, which of course are important. It is the risk of embers entering the building. Much of the risk of a structure catching fire is the wind driven embers that find their way into vents, as well cracks in soffits and dormers. A lot of recent research has gone into looking at this, and some new building codes are now requirements and recommendations. An example from the CA. Coop. Extension Service: https://ucanr.edu/sites/fire/Prepare/Building/Vents/
I realize this. But it's a hell of a lot better than having a cedar shingle roof or siding. Nothing is 100% and we have to realize that. Don't forget having to clean out gutters. I also thing CA has a building code where wooden decks have to be solid without cracks. Mine in a rental had plywood nailed below the two by sixes. Meanwhile, in the subdivion I visited near Grass Valley, people have built decks around the pines.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostTue Nov 20, 2018 9:45 am 
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostTue Nov 20, 2018 11:02 am 
jinx'sboy wrote:
If your house is otherwise fairly fire resistant, maybe it would be worth keeping some of that fire house wrap stuff around. It wouldn't help much if you have only 10 minutes warning to get out, but if you have a day or two to prepare, you could cover up the vents and other openings.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Nov 20, 2018 11:06 am 
I follow some people on twitter that listen to scanners and post info about fires. So I knew the morning of the 8th that the Camp fire had started. There are usually 4 to 6 satellite pass each 24 hrs that sense hotspots. But it takes NASA ~3 hours to process the raw data before it can be displayed on any map. And there can be up to 9 hours between satellite passes. As soon as satellite hotspot data became available on the 8th I posted maps on social media. Here are the first three screenshots and roughly when I posted those. The satellite pass happened 3-4 hours before I posted. MODIS = red triangle VIIRS = orange square 11:40am, Nov 8. https://mappingsupport.com/p2/disaster/2018/california/camp/2018_11_08_3_hotspots.jpg 12:50pm, Nov 8. https://mappingsupport.com/p2/disaster/2018/california/camp/2018_11_08_4_hotspots.jpg 3:40pm, Nov 8 https://mappingsupport.com/p2/disaster/2018/california/camp/2018_11_08_5_viirs.jpg Late on the 11th the fire made a big push to the south and burned around both sides of the Oroville reservoir. Here is the screenshot I posted very early on the 12th. The additional data is from an infrared overflight which is analyzed by fire staff and posted on an FTP server run by the NIFC (National Interagency Fire Center). 4:50am, Nov 12. https://mappingsupport.com/p2/disaster/2018/california/camp/2018_11_12_1_perim.jpg Late on the 12th here is a PM I received via the social site Reddit. Hey, I just made this account to be able to let you know how awesome this tool has been for myself and my family members. I passed the link around our group. We haven't had much outside of literally hiking in past police blockades to get information on where this f### fire is (which I did three times) or talking to people on social media who have done the same. Even personnel you run into from emergency services are completely in the dark, there is zero communication right now. The local news coverage has been HORRIBLE, I don't understand how they can be behind (information wise) NASAs public satellite information. It's so bad, they keep showing footage from days ago or just talking about the aftermath. All the while the fire is STILL GOING ON! PEOPLES HOUSES ARE BURNING DOWN RIGHT NOW. And they are having 30 minute segments on local land marks that burned down 2 days ago. The smoke was so thick and we weren't even under mandatory evacuations, but I had my family pack up and roll out because of one little red square on your map that appeared last night. I felt like i should play it safe. My house is currently being consumed as we speak. So thanks for a useful resource in a sea of confusing information and panic. I hope to support the development of your project and the other tools/code behind it in the future. Seriously. There are around 7-8 interactive fires maps out there. NASA has one, Google has one, ESRI has one, etc. Most only display the satellite data do not display the infrared data. Or if they do display the infrared data they only display the perimeter data which they get from the GeoMAC ArcGIS server. Maybe they just don't know that the data on GeoMAC is often a day old and the most recent data is on the NIFC server.