Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Scopehenge: exploring the Universe from the yard
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun May 13, 2018 10:37 am 
It was exceptionally dark and clear last night, nice calm, still air, and the drive was running super smooth, got a pic of globular cluster M13, the brightest in the northern sky. A million stars crammed into this puppy, and I managed to nail the focus so you can see right down into the core...
A crop from the core region

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon May 14, 2018 12:52 am 
Goat, Although my wife and I are retiring this year, the next generation of high school science tests will have Earth and Planetary Science questions after many years of just Life Science. Unfortunately, as you can imagine, most high school science teachers are having trouble switching over to the more comprehensive tests(basic chem. and phy. sci. as well). Labs, textbooks, equipment, are still focused on biology. Tom

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri May 25, 2018 9:15 am 
I'm glad the curriculum is being broadened to earth and space sciences, that's awesome! Had OK conditions two nights ago for Jupe, it was average seeing but I managed to pull this out of the muck. I think I overprocessed it a bit and it appears I have a dust speck on the sensor to get rid of, but I'm pretty happy I got this much.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Nov 19, 2018 9:28 am 
My second try at a night's worth of the sky. I built a housing for my ZWO120MC camera, including a dome and heater. My first run ended when the dome frosted over. This time the heater worked great! A few Leonid meteors make an appearance towards the end, plus a sporadic meteor or two, a couple airplanes...and what may be a meteor smoke trail. 10 second exposures, so anything light streak which is more than a single frame of vid is an airplane

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Nov 20, 2018 4:47 am 
Goat, Very cool pics. Such a patient nightowl you are! My $120 Nikon binoculars must have got dropped or bumped cause they won't collumate anymore! Crud!! Anacortes gun/optics store says "so sorry" not worth sending to Nikon to fix them, but Youtube has several do-it-yourself tutorials on how to re-adjust the collumation. Wish me luck. Off to buy a .050 Allen wrench! PS: I do not remember dropping the binos. Can collumation just go out of whack through age and use? I noticed the double image right away as I use them a lot. Tom

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Nov 20, 2018 9:16 am 
last night

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Nov 20, 2018 9:18 am 
tmatlack wrote:
Can collumation just go out of whack through age and use? I noticed the double image right away as I use them a lot.
It usually takes a whack of some kind. It's odd that the collimation screws would just decide to shift without a bump!