Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sennin

Sennin
PostSun Oct 28, 2018 2:47 pm 
Sunday 10/21/18 Lake Lillian Beautiful day for a hike if I remember. We got a late start, hiking by 1pm....didn't make it to Lillian. Had one route finding error and ended up going down to Lara Lake. Decided to eat and hightail it back to the parking lot. While packing up to leave, I left my trekking poles leaning up against my truck....I drove off. There was one vehicle left in the lot, a Dodge Sprinter Van. I'm assuming they would have spotted my poles when they got back.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Oct 28, 2018 3:54 pm 
Skyline Divide on Saturday. Started out beautiful and sunny, then a high cloud layer moved in. Could still see all the surrounding peaks so it was okay. A bit icy to start, thawed out later. Teeny traces of fresh snow in just a couple spots. Rained hard on the drive home, glad to be in the car rather than on the trail at that point.

User-Name

User-Name
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 1:44 pm 
Conditions Report: Pratt / Melakwa Loop up.gif Did the Pratt / Melakwa Loop yesterday and had a fantastic time. Started getting a little nervous after gaining Hemlock Pass to begin the descent--not a single boot print in the light dusting of snow. Was Denny Creek really that bad? I didn't feel like reversing the entire loop, but given the amount of water on the trail to this point, I was really starting to think I might have to. The volume in Denny was insane, but after poking around for a few minutes, I found a boulder link-up that only required a couple of knee-deep plunges. My runner's gaiters were useless, of course--fisherman's waders would have been a better choice. The route is fun, and the moisture kept the crowds down. Oh, and they finally hacked up that giant blowdown on the stretch between Lower Tuscohatchie and the climb up to Melakwa--Thanks trail workers!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 6:25 pm 
User-Name wrote:
The volume in Denny was insane
No photo? frown.gif

User-Name

User-Name
PostMon Oct 29, 2018 8:12 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
No photo? frown.gif
No camera this time. I've done this loop so many times, it feels like just another day at the office. Kinda regretted not packing it, tho...the waterfall was epic; there was even another major falls forming along the cliff in a place I'd never seen one before--weoulda made for some good pix...owell.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 1:15 pm 
Looking for some sun and snow, we decided on Lake Valhalla and Mt. McCausland. The Smithbrook Road was a bit slippery, but somehow a motorhome containing a mom and three teenagers made it to the trailhead. The trail was compacted from a lot of use over the weekend, and very slippery in many places. There were a few groups up today, some were well prepared, and some just wore tennis shoes, not sure how well they did on the icy trail! The forecast of sun was a little off, instead there was a high overcast most of the day. It still felt great to get up in some snow and enjoy the beauty of the mountains.
On the trail to Lake Valhalla 11/12/18
Lake Valhalla 11/12/18
Lake Valhalla 11/12/18
Lake Valhalla 11/12/18
Lake Valhalla 11/12/18
Lake Valhalla 11/12/18
Lake Valhalla 11/12/18
We only went part way up Mt. McCausland, because we wanted to get an early start back down the icy trail to the parking lot.
On the trail to Mt. McCausland 11/12/18
On the trail to Mt. McCausland 11/12/18
Snow Sculptures and Lichtenberg Mountain 11/12/18
Snow sculptures on the trail to Mt. McCausland 11/12/18
Snow sculptures on the trail to Mt. McCausland 11/12/18
Animal tracks on the trail to Mt. McCausland 11/12/18
Animal tracks on the trail to Mt. McCausland 11/12/18

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 1:57 pm 
Looks like winter up there Nancyann! Ruby dog and I stayed firmly in autumn Sunday and yesterday with a quick trip to Buckhorn mountain. No snow yet and surprisingly warm! Trail is in excellent shape with just a bit of avoidable ice near Camp Mystery and on the approach to Buckhorn’s summit. It was a little breezy on the ridge above Marmot Pass so we camped just below and hiked up to Buckhorn for sunrise. Such a treat to get in a snow-free overnight up high in November!
sunrise
sunrise
mystery - deception at dawn
mystery - deception at dawn
climbing up the ridge
climbing up the ridge
rainier at sunrise
rainier at sunrise
sun rising on mystery, fricaba, deception and the needles
sun rising on mystery, fricaba, deception and the needles
golden tips on constance & warrior, stone & skokomish in background
golden tips on constance & warrior, stone & skokomish in background
buckhorn
buckhorn
buckhorn
buckhorn
mystery, fricaba, meany, deception
mystery, fricaba, meany, deception
looking SW, stone - anderson
looking SW, stone - anderson
buckhorn summit view + ruby sunbathing
buckhorn summit view + ruby sunbathing

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Nov 13, 2018 4:29 pm 
Baker and Sherman via Squak Glacier Sun/Mon. Able to drive to TH (a few inches of snow on the last mile or so of the road). Trail was barely skinnable with a few short carries on Sunday, nearly bare on Monday. Lower portion of the Squak was easy skinning, middle portion was heavily crevassed (found a snow bridge that allowed passage with a short section of front-pointing required) and mixed ice/arduous postholing, upper Squak and Roman Wall were in fantastic shape for skiing and skinning (booted the Roman Wall but could have skinned). Skiing was excellent from the summit to 9500', and decent from 8500' to 6800'. Baker was pretty lonely for a sunny holiday weekend, didn't see anyone else up there.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Nov 17, 2018 6:11 pm 
it's November 17 and the trail to klahhane ridge/victor pass, ONP, is snow free! up.gif I returned November 5 from my awesome Nepal trekking adventure, https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8028617 and finally made this hike. I've been dreaming about it, but weather and cataract surgeries kept me home. sunshine and I had the trail and pass to myself. I was so very happy!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
reststep

reststep
PostSat Nov 17, 2018 7:57 pm 
All that oxygen after hiking in Nepal must have been intoxicating.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Nov 17, 2018 8:06 pm 
reststep wrote:
All that oxygen after hiking in Nepal must have been intoxicating.
ha ha! went to the doctor and my oxygen level was at 97%.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
reststep

reststep
PostSun Nov 18, 2018 9:58 pm 
I hiked to the top of Green Mountain today. This is the Green Mountain in Olympic National Park between Deer Park and Maiden Peak. This is such an obscure peak that I doubt if even Stefan or Fay have been there, also it is not in the climber's guide and I have never heard of anyone going there so I thought I might get a first ascent but someone had left a cairn. It is just a bump on the ridge so it makes me wonder why it is named on the map. It is appropriately named however. From a distance it is green with trees and there is not much in the way of views from the summit because of the trees. I dropped off the traveling summit register and continued on to Maiden Peak for some good views.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Nov 19, 2018 12:07 pm 
ha! new home for Oly! wow, deer park road is still open! hoping someone gets it before the road closes! I've been on green peak, I was just there this summer. great views! a few Oly registers ago, I left it on Maiden Peak. thanks

Cosmic Sun Beam
Ryan C

Cosmic Sun Beam
Ryan C
PostTue Nov 20, 2018 12:10 pm 
Hiked Guye Peak on Saturday with a friend. Bluebird day! Class 3/4 exposed scramble to the true peak. Gonna try and bag Red Mt this weekend : )

Nature melts away all worries
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Nov 25, 2018 12:27 am 
Hiked on the Oregon side of the Gorge for the first time since last year's Eagle Creek fire. Went about 7 or 8 miles up Herman Creek. Immediately east of PCT. Interesting seeing the different degrees to which various areas burned. Transition from the worst scorched area of all to completely untouched by the fire was almost instantaneous and rather dramatic. I found out later several trails on the west end of the Gorge were just reopened today--Larch Mountain, Wahkeena, Angel's Rest. Middle portion still closed with no target date for reopening yet. I would post pictures, but screw flickr! down.gif