Forum Index > Trail Talk > Smugmug buys Flickr (free accounts now limited to 1000 photos w/ excess purged Feb 2019)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostTue Jan 01, 2019 2:30 pm 
http://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/01/changing-flickr-free-accounts-1000-photos/ Good news is we have cached* flickr images posted on NWH so there is no need to pay flickr a ransom in perpetuity to preserve display of your images here (we will display the cached version). If you only use flickr to post images here it should be safe to delete them on flickr (to get under the 1000 photo limit to be able to post more). *Flickr images posted prior to and still available as of Jan 2019 were cached. Flickr images posted thereafter are automatically cached. Due to space constraints we only cache the largest size available up to ~1600 pixels wide or tall. If the image is a panorama or a very tall image (longer side more than 2x the shorter side) we cache the largest size available and resize as necessary to constrain the shorter side to 1024 pixels. The lightbox will display the cache (with links to flickr to view larger sizes or video). Flickr videos will not be cached so if you are debating what 1000 photos or videos to keep on flickr, videos would be the logical first choice.

Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:22 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
iron

iron
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 11:47 am 
boot up wrote:
But hey, some CEO wants to get another Lamborghini so what the heck,
you can always set up your own photo sharing/storage site and invite 8 billion people to use it for free. it would be the noble thing to do.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Nov 19, 2018 3:10 am 
I ignored the email about the changes for a while, read it the other day. I see most folks here feel about the same as I do. This seems like a huge F U from flickr to all their users, I'm fairly inclined to respond the same to them. I haven't checked how many images I have but it's way over a thousand. Sounds like paying to upgrade to pro status is a waste of money, so I'll probably just let them delete most of my pics. Fun while it lasted I guess.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Nov 19, 2018 9:43 am 
I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention, because this is the first time I noticed this thread. I spent the better part of the day yesterday deleting several thousand images from my "Flickr" accounts. (Yes, I have a few, because they used to limit the number of images you could have posted, so I just went around that with multiple accounts.) After reading through this thread, and after deleting so many images because of this change, it will be a very cold day in hell before I ever trust "Flickr" or "Smugbug" or "Yahoo" again - they are in for a huge disappointment if they think they will ever see a dime of my money. I was able to retain all the images for my piddly little number of trip reports here, but the non-hiking related stuff was significantly cut, meaning that an information source that has been used by hundreds of people (going by the view counts) over the last decade has been considerably reduced. I really wish I could more candidly express my sentiments about this, but Tom doesn't allow that sort of language here. BK

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Nov 20, 2018 7:59 pm 
I am just going to pay the $50. At least for 2019.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Nov 21, 2018 12:41 pm 
Tom wrote:
I'll see what I can do to download a backup of all flickr images posted here.
That's what I've been doing. Slow process, but keeping at it. 1,000 images or $50/year? No thanks. Time to find another repository method.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Dec 21, 2018 1:53 pm 
Taking longer than expected. There are roughly a half million pictures to backup. I hope to have them downloaded by mid January. Please do not delete any flickr pictures until we have a backup. Flickr won't start deleting them until February.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Jan 06, 2019 11:06 pm 
Tom, you are amazing. I somehow only just heard about this Flickr debacle, and the only reason I have photos on there is for TRs here. I have well over 1000 photos, and no way am I paying $50 a year for the "privilege". I understand it costs money and all that to run a storage site, but still... I post on my website, that costs enough as it is. So now I need to figure out how to add photos to TRs with another method. waah.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jan 07, 2019 12:44 am 
Just keep using flickr to post. I'm putting the finishing touches on it (lost a day due to power outage) but the plan is to back up any new flickr images as soon as they're posted here so you can just delete them if you need to free up space. More details forthcoming but short story is nobody needs to pay flickr a dime of ransom.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Jan 07, 2019 8:59 pm 
Thanks Tom! I have other reasons for keeping my account, so like slugman am just anteing up for the pretty reasonable subscription rather than trying to chase the free dream with companies that view me more as a product than a customer (e.g. Google, who has state-of-art image understanding tech that they grind on all those photos people store with them, no doubt building interesting profiles that are cross-linked in their profile data with all the other stuff they track on people to sell to advertisers and data brokers etc.).

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 15, 2019 6:17 pm 
BTW, for those of you now limited by 1000 photos it seems Flickr has left the barn door open and allowing uploads *if* you use the uploader (or possibly an older version of it). I haven't tried it myself but I noticed Fletcher posted a TR with new images without a pro account and guessing that's the loophole.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 15, 2019 7:02 pm 
Yes, if you are under 1000 it doesn't matter, you can still upload either way. If you are over 1000 you won't be able to upload directly on the flickr website (as of last week), but I suspect the desktop uploader or apps might still work.