Forum Index > Trip Reports > Olympics Grand Loop & Pacific Northwest Trail July 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostMon Nov 19, 2018 7:27 pm 
We had planned to be over on the east side for our annual backpacking trip but 90 degree weather had us on a ferry to the peninsula for walk up permits instead. First in line and not heading to the High Divide meant no problem getting what we wanted. I wanted to do more of the PNT but my friend drew the line at 40 miles. lol.gif Would definitely add an day or two next time, doing Lost, Cameron and Grand in one day didn't leave much time for an afternoon nap. And thank goodness there was some snow near Obstruction, that last day was pretty dry. Wrote up a trip report and put together a fun little video, enjoy! https://www.musthikemusteat.com/olympic-peninsula/deer-grey-wolf-lost-cameron-grand-pass-loop/

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Nov 21, 2018 7:34 pm 
I really enjoyed your trip report and video, snuffy! You traveled through so many beautiful areas in those four days, and enjoyed good weather the entire time! I didn’t realize that was where the PNT goes at the western end. We really enjoyed traveling on the PNT when we did part of the Boundary Trail through the Pasayten this past summer. I also checked out your other trip reports on your blog and discovered you explored a lot of cool places in 2018! up.gif

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostWed Nov 21, 2018 9:22 pm 
Thank you, Nancy Ann! It was a good year, between visiting Colorado twice, Utah and Arizona plus all the beauty up here, it’s hard to decide which was my favorite. I’m looking forward to seeing you again at the potluck and I think we have a PCT talk to chat about. Maybe after the weekend? 🙂

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Nov 21, 2018 9:30 pm 
Yes, let’s talk early next week. smile.gif up.gif

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostThu Nov 22, 2018 10:46 am 
Hesman, missing Cedar Lake was the reason I would add another day or two to the loop. We had intel it was a bit of a bushwhack we wouldn’t be able to in a few hours! Glad to know it would be worth it. 🙂

wanderwild

wanderwild
PostFri Nov 23, 2018 1:07 pm 
I did this loop just a few days before you, July 20-22 parking at Obstruction. Doing it in 3 days, adding Cedar Lake, and with a weird sprained knee tendon to boot - was hard, to say the least. Bushwacking the last bit into Cedar Lake in pain with a full blown limp after starting at Obstruction that day definitely made me feel "alive".

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Nov 25, 2018 8:53 am 
Great report Snuffy! Really liked the video with the catchy music!! up.gif up.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSun Nov 25, 2018 6:14 pm 
Lookout Bob, I'm so glad you liked it! It is even fun for me to go back and watch the video and remember how much fun we had. smile.gif

markweth

markweth
PostMon Nov 26, 2018 10:48 am 
Great trip report and brought back some wonderful recent memories for me. I hiked approximately the same loop late last August over 5 days, with side trips to Cedar Lake (where I camped the first night, starting from Deer Park) and then spending two nights at Dose Meadows with a day hike to Mt. Sentinel, Hayden Pass, and Thousand Acre Meadows. There are also some neat small waterfalls in the Dosewallips River behind the Dose Meadows campsite that I spent some time appreciating.