Forum Index > Trail Talk > Poll: Do Northwest Forest Pass fees support USFS trails?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

When I buy a Northwest Forest Pass, I expect this part of the fee supports trails:
Over half
42%
 42%  [ 12 ]
More than half
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Over 25%
21%
 21%  [ 6 ]
More than 1/4
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Over 10%
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
More than 10%
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Over 5%
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
More than 5%
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Over 2%
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
More than 2%
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
At least 1%
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Less than 2%
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Less than 1%
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 28

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Dec 01, 2018 8:17 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
wish there could be a changing area without a gross toliet. It wouldn't even need to be enclosed, actually. Just a fence panel, really. A hook and a bench would be nice.
That would be so great. When you get really sweaty or sleep outdoors a few nights, having a clean set of clothes to come back to feels like a luxury.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Dec 02, 2018 2:28 pm 
I buy them every year, because at some point In going to need it. There should be an "I dont know" question in the choices, because I have no idea.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Dec 02, 2018 8:36 pm 
I just like having one of those tags. I feel cool buying it and I keep the old ones around as a momento of great hikes. That said I do think public land should be accessable to all and I fault no person for not wanting to buy one. Something about the State pass irks me though. Isn't that wierd?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 8:25 am 
Don't forget...you can earn a Forest Pass by doing volunteer trail work with a couple of groups.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 9:07 am 
We get them because it is far less hassle than to fight them and possibly achieve a Pyrrhic victory. The state one is necessary as we use Tiger for training along with Si, Rattlesnake, DH, and stop at state parks for lunch etc.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 3:24 pm 
Quote wrote:
The rangers at the ONF will actually tell you where you need one and where you don't
All rangers at a fee forest will do the same. The Forests that have fee sites have a list of fee sites published on their website. Go to the Forest website, choose Passes and Permits, and depending on what verbiage they use, click on the link that supplies the list of sites that require a pass. Like others, I always have a pass. I have never purchased one; I have always got one by volunteering in one way or the other; from a partner organization or from the Forest directly.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 3:41 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
I just like having one of those tags. I feel cool buying it and I keep the old ones around as a momento of great hikes. That said I do think public land should be accessable to all and I fault no person for not wanting to buy one. Something about the State pass irks me though. Isn't that wierd?
Nope, not so weird. I have pretty much the same set of feelings. I qualified (i.e., staying alive to my 62nd birthday) for a geezer ATB pass earlier this year. It'd be nice if the state had a similar program for seniors.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 5:17 pm 
this better not be one them deals where they're just pocketing the mon!

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 10:58 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
It'd be nice if the state had a similar program for seniors.
I agree!!

When I grow up I wanna play.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 11:21 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Don't forget...you can earn a Forest Pass by doing volunteer trail work with a couple of groups.
True but to get a state pass they require 24 hr of volunteer work for a $30 Pass = $1.25/hr i.e. slave wages, and county or Fed land don’t count. Nonetheless we do the work not because of the reward but because we want to help. We even got our kids to do it to teach public service. Some things are worth more than money. cool.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Dec 04, 2018 9:42 am 
Yeah, 24 hours is a lot of time. That's 3 days (I think the state counts each day as 8 hours even if the work day is less; it often is); then if you're doing work for the NWFP, that's 2 days (they count days, not hours). Five days of volunteer work for one cause. This isn't a complaint, really; but someone with limited time to volunteer might rather spread around their volunteerism to other causes. We're not limited to trail work to earn volunteer hours. You can help with fish or vegetation surveys, plant new vegetation, restore wetlands or salmon habitat, and volunteer as an interpretive ranger, or front or back country ranger.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Dec 05, 2018 2:36 pm 
Whats the best way to find out if there is going to be trail maintenance in my area. Id be willing to partake in a little labor....... hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
RodF

RodF
PostWed Dec 05, 2018 6:14 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Whats the best way to find out if there is going to be trail maintenance in my area. Id be willing to partake in a little labor....... hockeygrin.gif
WTA Volunteer Opportunities on Trail or your local BCHW chapter are good starting points statewide, and there may be other volunteer groups that work in your area.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva