Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wait Time for Selfies/Instagram
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Dec 01, 2018 8:38 pm 
https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-46342915 rolleyes.gif I hate to wait for a picture of myself. arrow.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Dec 01, 2018 10:47 pm 
It's similar to the huge lineups of photographers and their tripods at some places and times such at the bridge over the Virgin River just upstream of Springdale Utah looking out at The Watchman. Some people want and are happy with a formula.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Dec 01, 2018 11:55 pm 
Saw this sort of action at Delicate Arch last spring.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Dec 02, 2018 2:56 am 
dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Dec 02, 2018 1:59 pm 
Reminds me of an ad campaign that I saw the Jackson Hole tourism folks running. Here's a sample:

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSun Dec 02, 2018 8:45 pm 
I don't understand this need to take selfies and post for hundreds (or more) people to see. Isn't it enough to go there and enjoy the scenery - maybe take a photo of scenery and/or photo of your group? Why the need to spread the word to as many people as possible?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Dec 02, 2018 9:46 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Saw this sort of action at Delicate Arch last spring.
Arches was designed by Dali; Canyonlands by Escher.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Dec 02, 2018 9:47 pm 
Joseph wrote:
I don't understand this need to take selfies and post for hundreds (or more) people to see. Isn't it enough to go there and enjoy the scenery - maybe take a photo of scenery and/or photo of your group? Why the need to spread the word to as many people as possible?
Sometimes I get the same question about why I need to burn a tank of gas and spend the day walking uphill to see something you can see on Google Images. To each his own.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSun Dec 02, 2018 11:44 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Joseph wrote:
Sometimes I get the same question about why I need to burn a tank of gas and spend the day walking uphill to see something you can see on Google Images. To each his own.
"to each his own" can be an excuse for lots of questionable behavior.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 2:36 am 
The Jackson Hole campaign that joker referred to was mentioned in this recent NYTimes article: Is Geotagging on Instagram Ruining Natural Wonders? And lest anyone doubt that the selfie craze and Instagram are major contributors to overcrowding at assorted beauty spots, consider what happened at a farm in Hamilton, Ontario: A Sunflower Farm Invited Tourists. It Ended Up Like a ‘Zombie Apocalypse.’ Poor farmer Bogle was so overwhelmed he had to pull the Canadian equivalent of "Get off my lawn!" vent.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 1:05 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Be vary wary of people who want to determine your 'need'.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 2:34 pm 
What if you just want to sit down and enjoy the view and don't care about a selfie? Do social norms dictate that you have to move? Will people become angry or will they realize that you have a right to sit wherever the hell you want?

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Dec 08, 2018 11:41 am 
Layback wrote:
What if you just want to sit down and enjoy the view and don't care about a selfie? Do social norms dictate that you have to move? Will people become angry or will they realize that you have a right to sit wherever the hell you want?
I'm thinking there are surely more pleasant places to sit and ponder the view with the nice result that you won't end up pissing off a long line of trophy photo seekers, but if you feel strongly about it go down there and find out!! wink.gif While up at Observation Point in Zion a month ago, setting up my tripod for this photo, I had a bubbly couple as nicely (but kind of firmly) if I could let them quickly snap a photo of themselves w/o me on the point there before returning to my intended task. I thought about telling them I'd be done soon too and they could wait but frankly it seemed like my day would be more pleasant if I just let them do their thing. They got a quick "selfie video" of themselves chugging licquor shots from those tiny bottles in front of the view - clearly their insta schtick, which then let them to get into a deep conversation about awesome insta trophy viewpoints elsewhere in the region that they should be hitting (The Wave, The Subway, etc.) with another and super hyper selfie obsessed crew on the next little point over. It was kind of fascinating in a very weird way. The guys they talked with were packing in a tremendous amount into each of their days, in such a way that by my way of thinking was too frantic and trophy-photo goal obsessed to allow for much actual connection to the landscape or to allow for the sort of happenstance discoveries one can make when simply curious and allowing more time to explore (they'd hit The Subway, which is a non-trivial effort in and of itself, that morning, and were doing this as the capper to their day - not one but two classic selfie ops!!). But they all were clearly having the time of their lives and it was a lot better than any number of things they could have been doing back in the cities. And I didn't see any of them leave trash behind, nor were they hammering any sensitive ground at least on this particular hike. And I ended up with my own trophy shot from up there (though frankly not nearly the best of my time in Zion - my faves were all from unnamed spots that I'm sure aren't showing up on multiple social media feeds), which is at least a tiny bit different from the classic photos I've seen from that viewpoint... To each our own, and can't we all just try to get along?
Observation Point View-
Observation Point View-

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Dec 08, 2018 12:49 pm 
FWIW: When I visited Delicate Arch last spring with hordes of others, the density of other people decreased radically when we took a slightly different return route. We ate lunch from the location where I took the picture posted above. We certainly weren't alone, but far fewer people than along the "herd mentality" route. Hyper popular places are popular for good reasons, but I've found that only a minor amount of additional effort will separate you from the bulk of the horde.