Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Oct 13, 2018 9:27 am 
That looks sweet. I need a rear rack for my backpack. LOL.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rossb

rossb
PostSun Nov 25, 2018 8:32 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
I was also surprised by how friendly and helpful NYC residents were. For example: Pushing a stroller with my twin granddaughters towards a subway stairway, random strangers just say let me help you and help carry the stroller and girls down or up the stairs.
I was just having a conversation with two (transplanted) New Yorkers about this. One lives in Brooklyn, the other Manhattan, and they said the same thing. Folks will just ignore you most of the time. You can curse, scream, cry, jump around, and they will walk right by you, pretending you don't exist. But if you genuinely look like you need help, they are right there for you. Anyhow, back to talking about e-bikes. Great stuff. One of these days I have to get one, but like all technology, the longer I wait, the better the things get.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Nov 27, 2018 8:45 pm 
Full on two wheel drive. http://www.ubcobikes.com/us/product/2x2-2018/

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
whitebark

whitebark
PostFri Nov 30, 2018 2:49 pm 
Of course, the ubco is not a bicycle, it is an electric dirt bike. We are just one battery breakthrough away from having extremely capable electric motorcycles. Land managers are soon going to have to face a difficult question: what type and power of electric bicycles to allow on mountain bike trails, since electric bikes will soon achieve the power (and trail-ripping destructiveness) of gas powered motorcycles.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Nov 30, 2018 9:43 pm 
I think their intent is that it’ll be able to be licensed as a motorcycle.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Dec 01, 2018 9:00 am 
whitebark wrote:
Of course, the ubco is not a bicycle, it is an electric dirt bike. We are just one battery breakthrough away from having extremely capable electric motorcycles. Land managers are soon going to have to face a difficult question: what type and power of electric bicycles to allow on mountain bike trails, since electric bikes will soon achieve the power (and trail-ripping destructiveness) of gas powered motorcycles.
According to my motorcycle enthusiast friend, he was watching electric MOTORCYCLE races and they were going pretty fast and were almost up to the speed of gas powered. You need to realize that what is considered to be an E-bike is a bike that is pedalled. I have one that can be run by throttle also, but I like to pedal. I use the throttle to get going. It really comes in handy on intersections. Or, riding in the woods on old roads that I guess could be called trails, I use it to get some power to get out of what could become a situation. E-bikes are quiet and I will say that I'd be driving more if I didn't have one. In fact, if it isn't raining or snowing, I might buzz to a store today. The more rules stuck on because of perceived "dangers" or annoyances may make fewer people wanting to use e-bikes and that means the same or more cars on the road. Keep the bikes fun, and maybe some folks like me will replace some of their car use by using the bike. Now, please put some plug ins out in the woods at camping spots for recharging. Perhaps some of that trail pass money can be used. up.gif up.gif I am waiting for Rad Bikes to send me another battery so I can have more rides when camping.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Dec 02, 2018 8:08 am 
Im looking into this Cube Stereo Hybrid. https://propelbikes.com/product/cube-stereo-hybrid-140-pro-500-27-5/

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Dec 02, 2018 10:06 am 
And then there's the Johammer

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Dec 02, 2018 1:05 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Im looking into this Cube Stereo Hybrid. https://propelbikes.com/product/cube-stereo-hybrid-140-pro-500-27-5/
A little over 50 pounds but looks like it only has a 250W motor with 80 NM of torque and no throttle. They claim 1000 watt hours total for the battery but that's deceptive. The battery is only 36V x 14.4 AH = 482 watt hours. Apparently they round up to 500 and then double it for 2 batteries. If I was going to invest that kind of money I'd probably go this route: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=96461 Carbon fiber frame, high end components, under 50 pounds, 500W motor with 120 NM of torque, throttle, and 48V / 14 AH battery (672 watt hours).
If you're looking for a bargain eMTB and happy with with only 80 NM of torque (350W motor) and no throttle, Volton has their A-Trail on sale for $1999 (350W "max" motor, 17" frame only): https://voltonbicycles.com/shop/a-trail-emtb/

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Dec 02, 2018 4:26 pm 
This is what the dealer emailed me. "From Cube I have the Stereo Hybrid Pro 140 that would offer one of the smoothest, efficient and powerful rides that we have! The stereo pro is a full suspension bike equipped with the Bosch Performance CX motor and the new hidden 500 watt-hour Bosch powertube battery! That gives you a hand-built in Germany frame, durable Shimano drivetrain and the best motor/battery combo on the market! This bike set up with the Thule pack-n-pedal rack system, you'd be all set for hiking adventure in no time with plenty of leg strength to enjoy your hike!"

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Dec 02, 2018 5:37 pm 
Those bikes made for the EU market are castrated by EU e-bike regulations (maximum 250W motor). I wouldn't invest $4K+ on a handicapped eMTB.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 7:51 am 
Thanks Tom. I dont really feel like building a bike. Isnt there a US manufacturer that sells a bike at the top of the technological list? I like that dang Ubco, but its not a bicycle? Couldnt a person get in trouble on that thing riding up the middle fork road???

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 8:41 am 
This thread is showing the problem with having an eBIKE. Ebicycles are not motorcycles. There are 3 classes of ebikes, I think that has already been mentioned on here. Ebikes have limiters that do not allow them to exceed 20mph using the motor. Of course, like a regular bike, you can go over that by pedalling or coasting down a hill. People with a lot more technical skill than I are modifying their bikes so they can go faster, but legally, it is 20mph in WA. Most have pedals to use. The way I ride is not much different than on a regular bike except I do not have to get off and push it up hills. The problem lies in people imagining ebike users to be like dirtbike riders and imagining the worst. I laugh at this as I am off my bike pushing it through a muddy spot because I don't want to ride through it and risk getting mud on the electronics. There are people on this forum who equate any kind of bike with extreme danger for them on trails. Then there are mountain bikers who do not want ebikes on their trails because the ebikers have not "earned" getting up to some of the high spots. Sound familiar? Some road bikers are echoing that sentiment when riding on roads. My source for this infor is from a couple of ebike sites. Think of them as a normal bike, but with less pushing. Ebikes are in the beginning stage and I fear they will soon be over regulated because people who have never seen are fearing the worst. Posting pictures of motorcycles adds to the confusion.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 9:26 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Ebicycles are not motorcycles. ...... are modifying their bikes so they can go faster, but legally, it is 20mph in WA. Most have pedals to use. The way I ride is not much different than on a regular bike except I do not have to get off and push it up hills. The problem lies in people imagining ebike users to be like dirtbike riders and imagining the worst. ............. There are people on this forum who equate any kind of bike with extreme danger for them on trails. Then there are mountain bikers who do not want ebikes on their trails because the ebikers have not "earned" getting up to some of the high spots. Sound familiar? Some road bikers are echoing that sentiment when riding on roads. My source for this infor is from a couple of ebike sites.
Ebike is a cycle with a motor powering it. Therefore it IS a motor cycle. A rose is a rose.... You are already admitting they are being modified to exceed their limits. When I get passed by an overweight, out of shape person, in street clothes, not even breaking a sweat going up a hill, on a 50 pound "bicycle" you can not tell me they are just like a "regular bike". Not earning it is irritating, but I would rather see a person not earning it than getting transported with an internal combustion engine. There is definitely a place for Ebikes. What ebikes have NOT earned is their right to use the trails. I battled for bicycle rights on the trails for decades, getting all sorts of tired knee-jerk arguments against people powered bicycles on trails, which were effective about 90% of the time in getting bicycles banned from trails especially in Western WA. Much fear was tossed down by hikers and equestrians that letting people powered bicycles on the trail was a slippery slope. With ebikes that slippery slope got much steeper. Oddly, many people that were anti mtn bike, where you actually have to earn your downhills and your average speed is not much if any faster than many reported hiker speeds on this forum, are now all pissy about not being allowed to cruise up a trail at 20mph without breaking a sweat. Letting ebikes on the few places and trails that people powered mtn bikes have managed to be allowed is a sure way of getting all "bicycles" banned from all trails due to the hiker and equestrian fear if nothing else. Stick with roads for ebikes, as that gives them plenty of places to ride. That is the argument tossed into the face of mtn bikers over the years...including by many people now jumping on the lazy person's mtn bike and wanting trail access.

friluftsliv
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 10:33 am 
Boot up, you seem to have a problem with fat people? I are one, by the way. I ride my e-bike for longer and more frequent trips than with my non ebike. Guess I should stay at home and watch videos instead. Oh, and fatness does not necessarily mean too out of shape. I was the roundest body at the bottom of the Grand Canyon--no raft trips at that time, and overtook quite a few skinny even younger folk on the hike back up. I suggest you work on your prejudice a bit. If you read a bit, those fat people on ebikes are actually losing a few pounds since getting their evil bikes. You even remark on their clothing? Boy, have you got some hang ups. Guess only slim, lycra clad people should even go outside, eh? Hope you are not around to offend this afternoon. I'll be bundling up in "regular" clothes and going for a bike ride. Shame on me!