Forum Index > Trail Talk > GPX Maps
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
n16ht5

n16ht5
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 11:05 am 
Anyone have a source for GPX files that cover large areas like the North Cascades or even the whole State? I can't find anything... frown.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
day_hike_mike

day_hike_mike
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 11:30 am 
Not totally clear on what you mean. I use nwtopos for my Garmin GPS. Free and covers the whole state. Though that hasn't been updated since 2014. Do you mean converting like Google Maps into a GPX file? Though even with terrain those wouldn't be great. I found this YouTube vid that may be able to help?
I haven't looked because I'm just taking a stab in the dark, and gotta run to work, but it'd be cool if something like that existed in Caltopo, where I could export a map to my Garmin. I watch this thread and see what others have to say.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 11:54 am 
I too am confused. Are you looking for waypoints in GPX format for specific trails or routes? If for trails, check out the MapBuilderTopo database in CalTopo. IME, MapBuilderTopo usually has the best current trail position info, and you can set waypoints on your own. If you're looking for GPX format waypoints for off-trail routes, you're mostly on your own (as it should be) although you'll find some resources for some routes per a Google search.

wildcat

wildcat
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 12:38 pm 
If you are looking for gpx routes - peakbagger is a good source for that.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 4:29 pm 
here's the deal if you go to this site you can convert em http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

bk

bk
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 6:48 pm 
There is a Forest Service dump of all(?) trails in Region 6 (Wash. & OR) at this obscure location. Even once on the page, it is not obvious. Scroll down the second-to-last brown-header, "Free, Downloadable Maps". Below that is a black header, "National Forest trails in the Pacific Northwest" . . . and below that header is a list of blue links, one for each of the National Forests in WA and OR. The blue-link list is like this:
  • Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area
  • Colville
  • Deschutes
  • Fremont-Winema
  • Gifford Pinchot
  • Malheur
  • Mount Baker-Snoqualmie
  • Mount Hood
  • Ochoco
  • Okanogan-Wenatchee
  • Olympic
  • Olympic discovery
  • Rogue River-Siskiyou
  • Siuslaw
  • Umatilla
  • Umpqua
  • Wallowa-Whitman
  • Willamette
  • Pacific Crest Trail in Oregon and Washington
Each blue link is a link to a big kmz file that has a huge number of trails in it (all, for that area). It can be opened in Google Earth, for instance. Between "Mount Baker-Snoqualmie" and "Okanogan-Wenatchee", that would cover most of the North Cascades, right? It's information-overload, but also might make apparent some of the roads-less-traveled that may be interesting to explore. (Maybe there's a number of abandoned trails in there?) Sites like AllTrails and peakbagger, or whatever, probably have more up-to-date verbiage describing whether something's current or not. There are probably conversion utilities on the 'net to convert kmz to gpx or whatever.

FredV

FredV
PostTue Dec 04, 2018 5:33 am 
Not a gpx file but... The smartphone app OsmAnd allows you to load (while online) the map of the entire state including all trails in the state. Also can load topo of entire state. All free. Then while hiking ( no service) you see your location and the trail route too. In addition you can load a separate gpx file that you get/make elsewhere, like a Caltopo export.