Forum Index > Trail Talk > "New" cave discovered in BC - which of you has been there??
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 10:04 am 
Canadian team confirms presence of huge unexplored cave Coordinates: https://goo.gl/maps/GhT1scK3FzT2 Pretty neat, but I'm sure somebody has visited it before. Will be interesting to see pics from the inside.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DadFly

DadFly
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 11:16 am 
Any unknown water hazards? lol.gif

"May you live in interesting times"
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 11:48 am 
DadFly wrote:
Any unknown water hazards? lol.gif
Oh, this is on a golf course? hockeygrin.gif Actually, what an interesting find. And what further caught my eye is the apparent past stream path beyond the cave entrance, before the water found its way down into the cave. I wonder how long ago the stream was diverted, the old stream bed looked to be recently vacated.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 12:53 pm 
I do not really know if there is a cave there or a sinkhole. The area was recently glaciated and glaciers in that area in rapid retreat. I have been in the area as far as Huntley col. Travel is not that difficult there and all the major peaks have been climbed. There are however large grizzly in the area which I have seen evidence of. The rock appears to be low grade metamorphic which seldom forms traditional caves. My guess is it is a sinkhole leading to a porous layer where the water disappears to emerge as springs on the hillside below.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 1:53 pm 
This is very cool, sooperfly. First I've heard of it, so thanks for posting. The still photo gives the illusion that you're looking at a horizontal entrance (no depth cues). The helo video shows what's really going on. When I was in school in Alberta during the 70's, the Castleguard Cave was getting a lot of attention, thanks to a documentary made around that time (link is in the article). Unfortunately, the film's music score sounds like it belongs in a spaghetti western. Spelunkers are a different breed of I-don't-know-what. Discovered fairly late in life that I have claustrophobia when it comes to caves. Even have trouble with the really short old RR tunnels at Robe Canyon Park. Can't go in there w/o being creeped out by the thought of collapse.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
DadFly

DadFly
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 2:07 pm 
Spelunkers are a different breed. I dabbled at it in Montana decades ago. Lots of muddy rope work and long cool days. The additional large creek flowing into the cave presents a whole new level of terror. I have also dabbled in white water kayaking and found it too dangerous for when my kids were little. Putting white water forces, total darkness, little chance of rescue and the potential for a freezing dip all together,..... JUST NO. But I would love to see the documentary.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 3:04 pm 
Dadfly - the Castleguard doc llink is at the bottom of the Wikipedia article I cited. Pretty good for the era, I guess, except for the corny music. Seems like many of these caves aren't particularly interesting re the usual ooh-ahh stalactite formations, so as you say, mostly a lot of high danger misery - cold plus wet plus dark. The recent incident in Asia when a group a school kids was trapped deep in a cave by water from an unexpected early rain comes to mind.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 3:25 pm 
Cool find I see reports from inside complex or tricky caves as fascinating but not at all enticing!

DadFly

DadFly
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 7:20 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Pretty good for the era, I guess, except for the corny music.
Gold line, carbide, external frame packs, unkempt hair. The music was fine. lol.gif

DadFly

DadFly
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 7:31 pm 
What a great film! It totally captures the epic nature of the trip.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 9:36 pm 
Near the end of the film there's mention that it took a support team of 17 to shoot that doc. Amazing effort by those guys, assuming they weren't likely cavers themselves. Watching the film again after so many years has piqued my interest in looking around t0 see what more current explorations have yielded.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 10:32 pm 
Way cool find !!! I find caves really interesting though scary when there's water or vertical drops.., fun to hear about!!!

When I grow up I wanna play.
pcg

pcg
PostTue Dec 04, 2018 1:29 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I have been in the area as far as Huntley col. Travel is not that difficult there and all the major peaks have been climbed. There are however large grizzly in the area which I have seen evidence of.
The area north of Azure Lake has been on my go explore list for awhile. My wife and I had planned to do Huntley Col as an overnighter from a base camp on Azure Lake this fall, but we arrived the day the jet boat concession shut down so had to settle for Trophy Meadows instead. We did see a sow grizzly and cubs in Trophy Meadows though so that made up for it, but we still have unfinished business north of Azure Lake. This post makes me want to go back even more. No denying that the Internet sends more people to previously unknown places. That's why I never post trip reports, but I certainly admit to mining info that others have posted...