Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suggestions for mellow roads or routes to skin and ski
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jeff

Jeff
PostSun Dec 02, 2018 3:17 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 6:53 am 
Best to find a gated road as with all the jeeps and other 4WD out there you run into a high chance of them. Not saying they are going to run you over or off the road but it often makes it more difficult for skinning on roads after they have been thru and tore it up. Is there a particular you are leaning towards?

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 8:06 am 
8 mile road can be a good one as long as the snow isn't too firm. 8 miles round trip? the first 2 miles are steep enough to make it a challenging ski in firm conditions. the only 2 rolls are short enough to manage with duck walking, or a short boot..gated, minimal sled traffic.. great views of cannon up. climb on top of the outhouse at the end for best views of the stuart range. bet its skiing great right now.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 9:53 am 
These Salmon Le Sac area roads have not required a sno-park, in prior years, but it's been three year since I been there. Hex Mtn near Ronald. U turn where the Hex Mtn road leaves the Salmon Le Sac road and park in wide area just before the bridge over Newport creek. Howson Creek road NF #128 , drive a little past the road and U-turn on Salmon le Sac road and park in wide spot. Walk back Salmon le Sac road ***** Tronsen basin area. Just north of Blewett Pass, in Chelan county. Two small parking areas where NF 7240 and 7245 meet HWY-97. The official sno-park right at Blewett pass requires a permit and is popular with snowmobiles. Some loops possible in Tronsen basin as well as out and backs. Snowmobiles not permitted in Tronsen basin. http://www.justgetout.net/Wenatchee/18351

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 10:47 am 
Jeff wrote:
a constant grade (too many bumps mean too many skin/ski transitions)
Get a pair of fat fishscale skis FTW. Seriously, fat fishscales are way better for FS roads than skins. We have a blast with FF on the Kendall Lakes Road, doing turns between the switchbacks and human slalom. Also, you'll like FF for many tours, e.g., most T-way and WA Pass spring/summer tours.
Jeff wrote:
ideally no snow park pass required
Best o' luck on that. IMO, better to buck up and get a SnoPark pass, which opens you up to more options. I'll PM you with one non-SnoPark pass idea. (ETA: Randy beat me to it, although IMO that would be better exposed to one person with a PM).

whitebark

whitebark
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 12:43 pm 
I'm fond of the Jungle Creek Road that starts at the end of the plowed portion of the Teanaway River Road. And it is a voluntary no-snomobile area, too. The first portion of this road is very flat, however, so you won't get a speedy free ride on the way back. Check out roads in the nearbyTeanaway Community forest, too. Indian Creek is nice, but parking may be a problem (due to road side snowbanks).

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 1:15 pm 
If you suck up the sno-park pass then Mt Margaret (Kirkendall describes in his XC book but USGS maps show the road network and you can figure out which gets you highest bestest :-) ) and Amabalis work. You will share the road with snowmobiles on Margaret - the number typically drops off once you branch off the groomed-for-snowmobiles road that goes over to Kecheelus Ridge. And their sometimes-presence does help in terms of nicely packed down snow in the road, which is for the most part not quite steep enough to make for fun downhilling if you're in deep untracked there (there used to be some good shortcutting of the switchbacks possible but trees in old clearcuts have a way of growing!!). Kirkendall describes several other decent "road tours" in his 100 ski tours Mounties published guidebook.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 1:17 pm 
Also check out a combination of USGS maps and aerial images to find other potential road skis. Some will have annoying brush on the road at points (e.g. Rampart Ridge from Gold Creek side for instance) but may be overall a decent outing if you don't mind a bit of that.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 1:21 pm 
The Burgdorfer (sp?) guidebook also has some tours that include a decent chunk of road skiing -in some cases you can continue on the road versus veering off as he may suggest in his descriptions.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 2:06 pm 
joker wrote:
and Amabalis work
Some XC skiers might get a bit bothered by someone skinning up there after the XC grooming starts. Tronsen is great for accessing numerous touring routes when there's ample snow, but most of the marked "trails" are rolling and better enjoyed on fishscales than skinning. The exceptions are Lilliby, Side Step and upper Haney, which have mostly steady descents. I figured Jeff, a ski tourist, would already know about the area.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 4:55 pm 
Quote:
Some XC skiers might get a bit bothered by someone skinning up there after the XC grooming starts.
I don't see why if you stick to the skate lanes. Not like you are punching holes in the ski track, or generating enough speed to cut big turns. Or am I missing something? Thats a sno-park lot with a groomed sticker if I remember correctly, so if you are looking for cheap that aint it. Great XC spot though if you are looking for some vertical!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 10:54 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Quote:
Some XC skiers might get a bit bothered by someone skinning up there after the XC grooming starts.
I don't see why if you stick to the skate lanes. Not like you are punching holes in the ski track, or generating enough speed to cut big turns. Or am I missing something?
There was a large thread last year about folks snowshoeing and booting up the Amabalis road, leaving bumpy snow and resulting in skiers falling down. But really who cares what the lycra clad skiers think? I mean the grimace on their faces probably has more to do with their current latase level than anything to do with you. Amabalis/cabin creek is a very crowded place. Plan on arriving either very early (7-8) or late (after 2) to find a parking space. Mid-day on weekends it is frequently 1 in 1 out parking.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Dec 04, 2018 7:50 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
But really who cares what the lycra clad skiers think?
They are people too. More importantly, the Kongsberger members work hundreds of hours each year getting the Cabin Creek trails and Amabalis trails in shape for winter. Give them some respect.

timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Dec 04, 2018 7:54 am 
Too close to home? hihi.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Dec 04, 2018 7:58 am 
timberghost wrote:
Too close to home? hihi.gif
Nope. Wrong answer. I'm not a Kongberger member, nor do I wear lycra. (Years ago I did some races at Cabin Creek, but I treated them as short loppets, not races.) I just appreciate and respect what the Kongsberger members do, and I think all users of the Cabin Creek system should show some respect for those who toil to make those trails possible. That's all there is to it.