Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suggestions for mellow roads or routes to skin and ski
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Dec 04, 2018 8:39 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
But really who cares what the lycra clad skiers think?
They are people too. More importantly, the Kongsberger members work hundreds of hours each year getting the Cabin Creek trails and Amabalis trails in shape for winter. Give them some respect.
The Kongbergers work hard maintaining and grooming the trails. But it is public land and the funding for the grooming machines and their operation and maintenance comes from sno-park funds. So if Kongbergers are discouraging other sno-park permit holders from using the area that's wrong. People on skis skinning up the Amabilis road out of the set tracks shouldn't be getting frowny faces from the lycra skiers, that should be reserved for people in boots postholing the groomed tracks and skating lane. That said Amabalis is a kinda lousy place to go for the OP request: 1) It requires a groomed sno park permit. 2) It is busy and crowded on weekends.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Dec 04, 2018 8:41 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
So if Kongbergers are discouraging other sno-park permit holders from using the area that's wrong.
Do you have any evidence that is happening? The vast majority of XC skiers on Amabalis road are not Kongsberger members.
RandyHiker wrote:
That said Amabalis is a kinda lousy place to go for the OP request: 1) It requires a groomed sno park permit. 2) It is busy and crowded on weekends.
This is more to the point. IMO, Amabalis is a silly place to skin. The obvious answer for Jeff is to get some fat fishscales

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Dec 04, 2018 8:55 am 
Oh ya, people that boot groomed trails should be thrown in jail with a tiger. But skins seem OK!

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Dec 04, 2018 11:28 am 
OK ok I retract that one suggestion which has been more beaten than some dead horses by now. wink.gif I'm wondering if there are any other on-point suggestions that aren't sucky road skis or alternative gear suggestions that will be forthcoming hockeygrin.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Dec 04, 2018 11:47 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
So if Kongbergers are discouraging other sno-park permit holders from using the area that's wrong.
Do you have any evidence that is happening? The vast majority of XC skiers on Amabalis road are not Kongsberger members.
Just from you earlier in this thread....
DIYSteve wrote:
joker wrote:
and Amabalis work
Some XC skiers might get a bit bothered by someone skinning up there after the XC grooming starts.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Dec 04, 2018 12:12 pm 
Just a thought, and it has been a couple-three decades since I was sporting around the west side: Once there is enough snow down low, how about some of the roads off HWY 12, near Rimrock Lk, or are those areas overrun with sledders? Or off 410, up around or past Cliffdell, Whistlin' Jack's, and Goose Prairie? maybe the same situation...lots of sledders? No snow right now though... frown.gif

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostWed Dec 05, 2018 1:08 am 
How about Highway 20 past the gate?

rossb

rossb
PostWed Dec 05, 2018 10:55 am 
First thought: Buy the book(s). They will provide a lot of different destinations, and also give you a heads up as to the areas that have avalanche danger. You shouldn't rely on the book for avalanche safety (don't go through an area while saying "the book said it was safe"). Conditions change over time. But the book(s) reduce the chance that you will go somewhere, encounter a big avalanche path and turn around before you have gotten very far (or worse yet, keep going, risking your life because you don't want to get back into the car). Originally there were two books, volume one and two. Now they have been condensed into one book. As you would imagine, there are trips in the two volumes that aren't in the "100 best". The newer book is kind of like a "greatest hits" book, which means it might leave out your favorite songs. That being said, the older books are, well, older, and some of that information may be out of date. Sometimes routes get overgrown. I do most of my road skiing on Kendall and Amabalis (probably about 20 times each one each year). I usually make it out to a couple other roads each year. But it has been a while since I've visited a lot of the places I am about to mention, so keep that in mind. It means that if you do go that way, you could be in for a lot of brush, or a messy trip in general. Here are some other areas worth checking out, from north to south: Anderson Butte -- Pretty sure this is still a good ski, although I haven't been there in years. Segelsen Creek Road, up by Darrington -- May be overgrown, or at least lost its view. Had snowmobiles last time I was there, but not a huge number. Skyline Ridge -- This is the backside of Stevens Pass, so parking may be an issue. This is the steepest road mentioned here. I think this would be a tough one to ski with cross country gear, unless there is enough snow to minimize the effects of the road (so that you can make your own traverses). What you use now would be a great choice for this trip. Nothing else on this list is in that category. Foss River -- There are a bunch of options here, including ones closed to snowmobiles. I usually get out there every year. No snopark required. You may have to carry your skis a little bit (depending on where they end the plowing) but it is a nice area, similar to Deer Creek (maybe even nicer, as the road is in better condition). Bandera Road -- Only makes sense if the snow level is low. It is basically a free for all, so for the first bit you will encounter tracks, and maybe eventually a stuck vehicle (at which point the skiing gets a lot better). But it is a nice ski, especially when you factor in the drive. Sun Top down by Rainier -- I haven't been down there for a couple years, but it is a pretty fun tour. One drawback, though, is that is a challenge to get a view of the mountain (the last quarter mile of the road has extreme avalanche danger). I think you can get a view by going the other direction (when I was there the last couple times it was cloudy, so I didn't try). I agree with Steve, fish scales would make every trip mentioned (except Skyline) a lot easier and more enjoyable. I disagree about skinning up Amabalis, though. I don't think it would bother anyone. It is a lot different than snowshoeing, let alone booting. I have seen a few people skin that area, but most of them are folks who either just switched their plans, or are new to the area. I didn't think the tracks were worse as a result (it is hardly noticeable). I would say the bigger problem is that you would find it tedious. It isn't just that Amabalis is groomed (often right to the top) but that it has a very low grade. Skinning would be less fun. That being said, there are some side roads up there that are fun to explore, so if you really want a workout (and want to pay the extra fee, and put up with the crowds that tend to dwindle as you go up) it is worth checking out. In general, though, I would say it is more appropriate with skinny skis on fish scales (or kick wax).

rossb

rossb
PostWed Dec 05, 2018 11:10 am 
Quote:
Has anyone done the road that goes to Twin Lakes on Hwy 542?
You might want to ask about that area on turns all year. If memory serves, the area has come up in discussions about snowmobiles versus protected areas. I think Lowell Skoog has skied that area (probably as a way to get into other stuff). I wouldn't hesitate to ask your general question there as well. People tend to be a little less protective of road skiing. There are people who want to protect their private stash, but more would like it if you lay a nice track, especially on the road.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Dec 05, 2018 11:31 am 
Regarding Twin Lakes - I have seen multiple reports through the years of folks heading up there, most often to get up to the Winchester summit area. If you're looking for a continual uphill climb and downhill grade, this is not what you're looking for. It has a lot of relative flats (and some rolly-polly upsy-downsy) between the first climb away from the highway and the final push up the switchbacks to Twin Lakes. And fwiw it sure looks to me as if you are very much in prime avalanche terrain once you get out of the woods right there by the YAB trailhead. This seems more like a great route if you're planning to spend time up on the slopes of Winchester or other nearby stuff.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 6:05 am 
nice list ross. I agree re skyline at Steven's. I split ski it on occassion, and it can be fairly challenging. throw in herds of snowshoers, boy scout snow shelters, and even an odd snowmobile. it's more of a snake line then a road ski. smile.gif I heard there was a nice road all the way to camp Muir right now. if you can ski the skyline road at Steven's, Muir would be a piece of cake. 😉

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 9:02 am 
Yesterday I skied the full length of FS Road 800 (Wenatchee Crest) out of Blewett Pass -- my first day on skis after total knee replacement surgery! chickenleg.gif It's a great mellow 7.8 mile out & back workout on fishscales, usually goes fine on wider XC gear, but too much up and down for skinning. It'd go now with kick wax, blue or blue X. The current snow is cold pow and road is on the N side of the ridge and gets very little sun. There were tracks from a party a few days earlier (Pico and Margy?) but I was compressing snow most of the way. Not fast conditions but hey, it was great getting back on skis again so no complaints. I didn't see another soul yesterday. Tomorrow it'll likely be a mob scene. It's a popular snowshoe stroll.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 9:30 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Yesterday I skied the full length of FS Road 800...
W00t! Yeah, I've been seeing Pico's reports of good snow up there. up.gif I've been fat biking out of Ros on my lunch hour this week, waiting for enough snow for skis.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 10:19 am 
You probably saw my report from skiing the road to Artist Point. It's a pretty short ski but there is more room to just poke around on foot from the Artist Point parking lot for more views and exercise. Soon though the snow will really start dumping and the road will just disappear into an avalanche slope. Also the ski area will open and it will get busy and noisy. Is the Miller River Road a good option, at least when snow levels are very low? I seem to recall that being marked on the map as non-motorized winter rec.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 11:29 am 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
W00t! Yeah, I've been seeing Pico's reports of good snow up there. up.gif I've been fat biking out of Ros on my lunch hour this week, waiting for enough snow for skis.
Telemetry shows 14" earlier this week settling down to 12" today, but it seems a bit deeper than that on Road 800. Not enough yet to explore via Tronsen turnout, certainly not enough for my 5-month old titanium knee. A few inches forecasted for next week, which will help. Yesterday I saw only 2 sets of pole marks past the first 1-1/2 mile, which I surmise were Pico and Margy. I pounded their track, so much faster conditions today. I hope the mob doesn't mess it up too much this weekend. As you likely know, some years parallel snowshoe and ski tracks get set and honored, other years a rouge snowshoer messes it up.