Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 11:09 am 
boot up wrote:
What ebikes have NOT earned is their right to use the trails.
I have ZERO desire to ride on trails. I want to be able to eat up ROAD miles to be able to hike sooner. That's why I want an e-bike. For example: 1. Ride the Middlefork to the Dutch Miller trailhead. 2. Ride the road to the trailhead for the Kendall Peak Lakes 3. Ride the road to the end to hike into the Falls lakes. 4. Ride the road up to the SnowKing trailhead. For starters.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 1:18 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Boot up, you seem to have a problem with fat people?
nice job of taking my statements out of context and changing what I said, while entirely missing the point. Your weight doesn't bother me....your attitude does. When I road biked centuries a lot there were some very physically fit people that were rotund. But not rotund, out of shape and zinging up hills at 20mph. I also said there is a place for ebikes. But it is much easier to quote of of context and ignore the main point.

friluftsliv
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 1:19 pm 
BJ has a point. I don't really want to ride on most trails cuz they might be too scary. But the comments about "earning" and clothing and body shape are too much! There is one trail I'd have like to have seen what was on it. I may do it yet because I think very very few people ever ride on it. There just aren't a lot of people in the area. It is very enjoyable to just go ride around in the woods and not burn up a lot of gas. Nobody is around to evaluate one's clothing choices or anything else. Out with snootiness! BJ, I originally got mine to ride on the terrible, partially washed out roads to my super secret huckleberry patches. But I moved away so instead I ride around town a lot. It's still fun and as soon as the weather and snow allows, I'll be back in the woods riding.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Dec 03, 2018 1:24 pm 
boot up wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Boot up, you seem to have a problem with fat people?
nice job of taking my statements out of context and changing what I said, while entirely missing the point. Your weight doesn't bother me....your attitude does. When I road biked centuries a lot there were some very physically fit people that were rotund. But not rotund, out of shape and zinging up hills at 20mph. I also said there is a place for ebikes. But it is much easier to quote of of context and ignore the main point.
So then would you be OK with fat people in "casual clothes" going by at 19 mph? Should we slow down so as not to hurt your fragile ego? What is your problem? By the way, at max power and pedaling, I can only hit about 10mph going up a local grade on a paved road. The throttle would most likely slow me down more. Have you EVER actually ridden an ebike?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 04, 2018 4:55 pm 
Found this timely article. Ebikes are https://averagejoecyclist.com/guide-for-fat-cyclists/mentioned towards the end.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Dec 05, 2018 2:53 pm 
boot up wrote:
What ebikes have NOT earned is their right to use the trails.
I am not sure how any user group earns the right to use trails. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Dec 06, 2018 9:59 pm 
You have to understand that (regular) bikes have been prohibited from most west side trails for decades, and a lot of east side ones too. Even before the trails were as crowded as they are now. There are a lot of mountain bikers who feel like they've been unfairly excluded. It's taken a lot of lobbying and a lot of trail building to get MTB cyclists the access they have. That's what boot up means about having earned the right to his trails. I love that people are using e-bikes instead of cars. It's more fun and less stressful, better for everyone because traffic is a real problem here, and it helps other cyclists because it means less cars and more awareness.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 8:45 am 
I wonder if each MTB rider is questioned thoroughly to make sure they have lobbied or done trail work. After all, they must have to "earn" the "right" to ride also. They also must meet the dress code and be weighed during the same process, i guess.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 12:41 pm 
You're better off not taking things people on the internet say personally. smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 1:30 pm 
Not many e-bikes can zag up a hill at 20 mph off pavement (much less with a heavy rider). Perhaps the sur-ron (although technically not an e-bike) https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=surr+ron+single+track

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 4:17 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
There are a lot of mountain bikers who feel like they've been unfairly excluded. It's taken a lot of lobbying and a lot of trail building to get MTB cyclists the access they have. That's what boot up means about having earned the right to his trails.
That assumes that people on ebikes haven't done any of that, which is a huge assumption. I have found that most attitudes like this are based on false assumptions such as that. YMMV Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 9:11 pm 
Tom wrote:
Not many e-bikes can zag up a hill at 20 mph off pavement (much less with a heavy rider). Perhaps the sur-ron (although technically not an e-bike) https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=surr+ron+single+track
The stock Rad bikes need to be in a middle or low gear(pedaling) for any sustained climbs and the power level also not too high or you risk frying the motor. That's why I doubt the getting passed on the hill by a fat rider going 20mph is true. At least a hill with any grade. And yes, there's probably a bike that is juiced up to go fast somewhere with somebody on it. I am now seeing posts about making sure you charge up the battery in the house and not out in the cold, and a bit reduced battery performance in winter conditions. I'll try to ride mine tomorrow on a short trip and will see how it handles the steep road to my neighborhood in 30 degree temps.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Dec 08, 2018 10:51 am 
Im just interested in eating up miles on old logging roads.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSat Dec 08, 2018 11:03 am 
You can get super fit on your E-bike: GCN does Ebikes

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Dec 08, 2018 1:25 pm 
My bike did not do so well today. I rode it and it was parked outside in 31 degree temps for 3 hours. I did not take the battery inside with me. On the steep ride home, where I work my way up in power levels and still pedal, it cut out at level five on the steep part. It would turn off then on and I rode kind of jerky up the hill. It used a lot of juice too. I'll let it warm up to room temperature and then charge it. That jerking is kind of hard on the knees.