joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostSun Nov 25, 2018 11:35 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
alien landscape (1 of 1)
alien landscape (1 of 1)

Sunset over Soda Springs Basin, looking across at the Maze and the Henry Mountains from Island in the Sky, Canyonlands NP.

Sometimes Utah just looks so much like an alien planet to me. Maybe that's because it's one of the places they go to film scifi flicks...
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike

PostTue Nov 27, 2018 8:36 am 
^^ awesome golden rays
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostTue Nov 27, 2018 2:46 pm 
Yeah, the rays were definitely what I considered to be the "subject" of that shot. I was busy trying  to capture pixels for a  much wider and more classic view  across this basin of the Green  River, and noticed this  starting  to happen, so swapped  lenses and zoomed in on this cool effect - the  shadows of the topography are what  really made it for  me.

Here's something a  bit different - a sunrise shot from  the apex of the Bruneau Dunes which inexplicably rise up  about 500 feet from the plains near  Boise.  This  is a good stopover spot on trips  to/from  UT canyon country, at least based on my tolerance for daily mileage. At least in the  off season of  mid October, the campground was nearly deserted so very easy to cruise into late at night after enjoying some Detroit style pizza (yes that's  a thing, and definitely in  the  "comfort food" category!) and a brew near the  highway in Boise. Going after this shot helped  get me up and going  nice and early  too :-), I typically need a goal to get up  while it's still mostly dark out.

bruneau dunes sunrise (1 of 1)
bruneau dunes sunrise (1 of 1)
joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostThu Nov 29, 2018 11:21 am 
And a pair from Antelope Island on the edge of the  Great Salt Lake, taken the evening of the morning I  shot the Bruneau  Dunes. I've been to Antelope Island twice now on drives down to  southern  UT, and have a feeling I'll be back again - it's a nice stopover with some decent hiking ranging from an  hour of leg stretching to big day  hike options,  and the evening and  morning light was pretty different  but pretty amazing the  two  times I went (though it was  very BUGGY in May of 2016  - I think I'm still washing some of the bugs off my Van's front end  in fact...).

Salt LakeSunset (1 of 1)
Salt LakeSunset (1 of 1)
Salt Lake Pastels (1 of 1)
Salt Lake Pastels (1 of 1)
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker

Have camera will use
PostThu Nov 29, 2018 1:40 pm 
I like the "bruneau dunes sunrise" photo and the first of the two "Salt LakeSunset" pictures. up.gif

From the Thanksgiving break:

Mount Monadnock, New Hampshire
Mount Monadnock, New Hampshire

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!"
Photography: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani/albums
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike

PostThu Nov 29, 2018 6:15 pm 
^^ more snow than here at Stevens Pass
joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostFri Nov 30, 2018 9:59 am 
Monadnock  is one that for whatever reason I  never went up in NH. Cool snow and rock texture.
joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostSat Dec 01, 2018 12:22 pm 
Another from the edge of the Great Salt Lake. Looking across toward one of those military test-and-drill "ranges" that dot the desolate parts of UT/NV etc.
Salt LakeSunset2 (1 of 1)
Salt LakeSunset2 (1 of 1)
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike

PostSun Dec 02, 2018 7:57 pm 
Alki Sunset Fuji GFX50s and Contax Zeiss 50mm
Alki Sunset Fuji GFX50s and Contax Zeiss 50mm
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostWed Dec 05, 2018 8:53 am 
The King of the Cascades.....

Stuart from my driveway
Stuart from my driveway

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

Abraham Lincoln
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostWed Dec 05, 2018 12:49 pm 
Nice driveway view, BPJ!

Here's yet another from my recent foray to the SW... this  one from Snow Canyon State Park near St George, which has some very  nice crossbedded sandstone formations as well as some cool  lava intermixed here and there (the  latter isn't shown in this shot though).

Snow Canyon Layers (1 of 1)
Snow Canyon Layers (1 of 1)
joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostThu Dec 06, 2018 3:20 pm 
Another day, another picture of Snow Canyon SP  in UT. This time  of one of the  so-called "petrified dunes" - 180-190 million year old Navajo sandstone surrounded by 1,000-10,000 year old lava flow.

Petrified Dunes (1 of 1)
Petrified Dunes (1 of 1)
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker

Have camera will use
PostThu Dec 06, 2018 4:54 pm 
^ Very cool, both of them. up.gif

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!"
Photography: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani/albums
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 10:19 pm 
Very cool joker!  up.gif   Years ago I spent about a week in St. George w/ my family.  We only briefly visited Snow Canyon SP, I was impressed.  Hidden gem that is overlooked because of nearby National Parks.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 11:35 am 
Yeah - the locals seem to know  all about  its goodness - it was busy leading into  Veteran's Day weekend!! There's other nearby stuff I'd like  to check  out next time I hit that corner of UT, including some crazy candy-colored cross-bedded sandstone formations.

Here's one more, looking out to and beyond the bottom of Snow Canyon.

Snow Canyon And Beyond (1 of 1)
Snow Canyon And Beyond (1 of 1)
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Picture of the Day
Jump to:   
Search this topic: