Forum Index > Gear Talk > Folding cook pots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
andypandy

andypandy
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 9:58 am 
Someone got about 70 uses out of it, which at 2 boils/day would be 35 days. For most people here that is less than 2 years of backpacking. There are a lot of compromises made on this product just to get it to fold flat. 'We have yet to test the Bear Bowl, but the concept of something so light and, more important, with such a slight profile is appealing. The handle over the top could make stirring a bit difficult, and the flexible material isn’t as durable as traditional aluminum or stainless steel (Santiago says he has gotten about 70 uses out of a single Bear Bowl before it started to break down). But for trips where every ounce and cubic inch matters, those are worthwhile trade-offs. Others agree: the Santiagos raised over $41,000 on Kickstarter and nearly $80,000 on Indiegogo in 2017, and they got a $100,000 deal on the season-ten premiere of Shark Tank earlier this month.' https://www.outsideonline.com/2353951/bear-bowl-camping-pot-size-your-wallet

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Oct 24, 2018 10:14 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Here it is, obviously intended as a passive aggressive slur:
Schenk wrote:
Did you mean to say "if you do it DIY's way"?
If you can define that at a "slur" then I can't really disagree...it is a purely subjective opinion. However, I did indeed intend it as a poke in the ribs because you frequently take the position that the way you do something is the best way, or the only correct way . You should consider that when you say something like" if you do it the right way" it automatically implies anything else people do is "wrong". That seems passive aggressive to me... Have a great day DIY, I'll try to remember you're a little sensitive about rib-poking sometimes. Maybe I should have used the correct emoticon to convey "rib poking"? prod.gif Thanks for the the video contour5, I think I might still try one out, but they are a little $pendy to just try one...

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
contour5

contour5
PostThu Oct 25, 2018 8:17 pm 
Here's an older style folding cook pot. Seems like a greasy mess, but they only cost about a nickel. Single use, probably.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Oct 26, 2018 7:50 am 
Crazy...proof that you can take any idea a bit too far. Eggs looked OK, the bacon looked underdone and rubbery though...ugh, phooey. I boiled water in a cabbage leaf when I was a kid, just to see if it worked. It did. I never did it again.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostSat Nov 03, 2018 2:40 pm 
Kind of cool. If it was a little cheaper it might be a nice "extra" pot for group trips when you need the additional volume, could just slide into a side pocket

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Dec 06, 2018 5:59 pm 
Cooking food in plastic. Nope, not gonna happen. Too many chemicals in plastic, I don't want those in my food.