Forum Index > Trail Talk > Good training hike near Vancouver BC?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
asdf

asdf
PostThu Nov 15, 2018 7:12 pm 
I'm looking for a good training hike near Vancouver BC. Sort of their equivalent to Seattle's Tiger Mountain - short, plenty of elevation gain, close to town. Any pointers?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostFri Nov 16, 2018 7:17 am 
Not that familiar right near Vancouver, but Deeks Lake is likely a good workout.

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostMon Nov 19, 2018 8:56 pm 
Besides the Grouse, I hear Lynn Peak and Dam Mountain are good training hikes.

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Distel32

Distel32
PostTue Nov 20, 2018 6:10 pm 
The Grind usually closes in winter, but BCMC is open and the entire North Vancouver area is covered with trails. Do some google searches and you'll find ample material. Each mountain (Cypress, Grouse, Fromme, Seymour) has multiple trails both for hiking/running and mountain bikes. The Caltopo "mapbuilder" layer shows many of them.

alozzy

alozzy
PostFri Dec 07, 2018 3:55 pm 
For future reference, this site provides lots of good info on hikes in the Vancouver, CA area: https://www.vancouvertrails.com/ The North Shore area is close to downtown Vancouver and has tons of trails. A little further, towards Whistler, is the Sea to Sky corridor and the Squamish Valley area. Highlights include Mt Seymour, Black Mountain via Eagle Bluffs, Tunnel Bluffs, St Marks Summit, Mt Gardner (ferry ride to Bowen Island), Big Cedar & Kennedy Falls, Al Habrich Ridge Trail, Sea to Summit trail, Big Chief, Brohm Lake via Paradise Valley, Elfin Lakes, High Falls Creek, Watersprite Lake (overnight hut available) - I could go on and on :-) Tri-Cities area also has lots of nice walks and Burke Mountain area has tons of mostly biking trails, but a few good hiking trails too (ie Sawblade Falls). DM me on IG (alozborne) if you want someone to hike with, as my hiking group gets together almost every Sunday all year long and newcomers are always welcome :-)