Forum Index > Trail Talk > Three Lakes/Irely Lake Area Question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSat Dec 08, 2018 7:31 pm 
I'm coming back out for Christmas and want to get a hike in. Looking at this area to get out and see some old growth. Questions (at the risk of sounding like a wimpy tourist): 1) Is the road to the trailhead ok for a low clearance car? My sisters are concerned I'll ruin their mini van - ha! 2) Is the bridge still over Big Creek? If not, is there a decent spot to ford Big Creek in late December or will the snow run off be too severe? I will have a couple kids with me. 4) I would like to see the Pacific silver fir stand, ultimately, that is on this trail before you get to the meadows. Do you suspect snow will be an issue?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSat Dec 08, 2018 7:33 pm 
I think I may have answered my own question with a WTA trip report that contained this fantastic trail survey, complete with pictures and waypoints: Gaia GPS Track from WTA Blow down city as of June 12th. Big trees though. Man that is a slick way to report on trails. Feel free to chip in with any additional tips.

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSat Dec 08, 2018 7:41 pm 
Looks like I should read more on WTA before I ask here: Work Party Trip Report

RodF

RodF
PostSun Dec 09, 2018 5:20 pm 
HermitThrush wrote:
1) Is the road to the trailhead ok for a low clearance car?
Yes. The road is maintained by three jurisdictions: Gray's Harbor County (good, paved), Jefferson County (poor, slow down to dodge potholes, but OK), and Olympic NP (gravel, OK).
HermitThrush wrote:
I will have a couple kids with me.
Might also consider the Rain Forest Nature and Quinault Loop Trails linking Willaby and Falls campgrounds above the south shore of the lake. It offers a variety of less challenging hikes you can choose depending on how wet the weather is, with lots of old-growth trees to marvel at. Kids might also enjoy Santa with his llamas at Quinault Lodge on Christmas eve?

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSun Dec 09, 2018 6:36 pm 
Thanks for the suggestion and for the tips, really appreciate it. The boys can handle something a little more aggressive. We did 10 miles on the North Skokomish after Thanksgiving.