Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Who gets to use the Teanaway Valley?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostWed Dec 05, 2018 12:15 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
You'll get a range of views, just as you would from W-siders.
I expect so, and I didn't mean to single out West siders. I love the West side and the natural resources therein. See my avatar for evidence. I wouldn't expect to tell Gray's Harbour county how to manage their coastline though. I only visit a few times a year... And I don't have much at stake. I'm just thinking that people living in Bellingham need to make decisions about Bellingham issues, people living in Kittitas County should be able to make decisions about KitCo issues. If I live near the Teanaway and visit 10+ times a year, and have friends and neighbors who do the same I have a better understanding and frame of reference than someone who visits 2 times a year.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Dec 05, 2018 1:07 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
I can't imagine how anyone could think such a thing.
Must have something to do with me working in Redmond with people that commuted from Cle Elum and remarking that their commute was far better than their father's was from "the valley" to Los Angeles.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Dec 05, 2018 1:08 pm 
MesiJezi wrote:
I'm curious, how many of the contributors to this thread even live in this county and use this land? Or even live downstream of it, for that matter?
Local* representin'. *for values of 'local' for over 20 years, which may still make me a newcomer by some, but... yeah. I've got skin in the game on this one.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Dec 05, 2018 1:10 pm 
MesiJezi wrote:
I'm just thinking that people living in Bellingham need to make decisions about Bellingham issues, people living in Kittitas County should be able to make decisions about KitCo issues.
H'mm hows that apply to the I-90 improvement project between Hyak and Easton?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Dec 05, 2018 1:11 pm 
MesiJezi wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
Why do you ask?
To put it simply, it's a "community forest," and as the ones who stand to gain/lose the most due to decisions made about the forest, the local community members voices need to be taken in to careful consideration regarding changes to policy. I would be more interested in hearing from people who live in Cle Elum, Thorp, or Ellensburg than folks from say, Tenino or Bellingham.
The locals have been participating. Local input is one reason motorized use is being retained, as well as motorized use not being expanded. DNR and partner organizations have done a lot of outreach. Anyone who acted on the outreach materials is free to participate, including locals. So yes, you are right. A community forest means the local community has input. But a community is also those of us who visit it. That is why people from Yakima, Seattle, and elsewhere have received information the last couple of years and are invited to comment.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 05, 2018 1:59 pm 
If those involved in the decision making processes of public lands were limited only to local residents, there would most likely never have been an Olympic National Park.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Gregory

Gregory
PostThu Dec 06, 2018 5:11 am 
And boy do the Hulesdonks. Fletchers and Brandeberrys wish that were the case. It amazed me how many of the old school original settlers hated the national park. Actually, I think it was mutual, as in the national park people hate them. Years ago now they redid the upper Hoh road and protected the road from the river with a bunch of big rock. They did the curve of the road such that it pointed the river right at the homes off Rainforest road or the Brandeberry estates. Just downriver of the SF. The river washed. some of the properties away and when they tried to protect it with Rock they were denied a permit. They could only use wood as rock would be bad for the salmon. I helped one old boy fix an old Forks city dump truck to haul stumps to keep the river from taking his place. The relationship between some of the old school locals and the park employees could be downright adversarial. It is one thing to go visit a beautiful national park and another to have the feds roll in and tell ya how to live.
Ski wrote:
If those involved in the decision making processes of public lands were limited only to local residents, there would most likely never have been an Olympic National Park.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 06, 2018 7:42 am 
The same could be true for folks who lived and had outfitter businesses in Stehekin prior to the N. Cascades park being established.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Dec 06, 2018 9:17 am 
MesiJezi wrote:
I'm just thinking that people living in Bellingham need to make decisions about Bellingham issues, people living in Kittitas County should be able to make decisions about KitCo issues.
West Fork T-way valley use is a state issue. It's state land, funded by state taxpayer money. Many users are from outside Kittitas County. AFAICT, most snowmobile use in Kittitas County is by westside slednecks.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Dec 10, 2018 9:54 am 
MesiJezi wrote:
Nobody cares what your HOA requires of you, that's a local issue. Teanaway is public land, it belongs to all of us. It's not the private property of folks who kind of live nearby. The Teanaway is a Washington issue. I can't believe that needs to be explained. frown.gif

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Dec 10, 2018 5:18 pm 
ME. I get to utilize the Teanaway going forward

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Dec 13, 2018 9:24 pm 
I got this email update from the state parks Teanaway Community Forest Recreation Plan Completed https://mailchi.mp/dnr.wa.gov/may-teanaway-community-forest-updates-1079305?e=b7bd6e20a4