Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Gold Creek Habitat Restoration for Bull Trout
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostMon Dec 10, 2018 7:55 pm 
I saw this over on WTA. I don't know anything more about it than the trip report states. According to the report, it's a done deal and Gold Ck Pond may get "filled in." https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2018-12-10.6804567249 I also found this information from the Kittitas Conservation Trust's website. https://www.kittitasconservationtrust.org/projects/gold-creek-restoration-flow-and-habitat/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Dec 10, 2018 8:57 pm 
It's part of the Yakima Basin Integrated Plan to restore the entire watershed. I don't see in a very quick review of the several enivronmental documents where creating a marsh at the Pond site was expressly discussed in the original plan, but it makes sense, given the studies about Gold Creek dewatering due to less rain and perhaps other land uses.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Dec 11, 2018 2:20 am 
Here is some additional info on the project -- reposted from the "Hyak" Facebook group
Quote:
I imagine that you are all familiar with Gold Creek Pond... an ADA-accessible paved loop hike around a picturesque mountain pond atop Snoqualmie Pass. Unfortunately, it may be gone soon without your involvement! Kittitas Conservation Trust (KCT) is hosting a design charrette on Thursday, December 13th to discuss conceptual design options for the area which could include the filling or partial filling of Gold Creek Pond. They would appreciate public input. You can find more information about KCT’s proposals for Gold Creek Valley and a letter regarding the plans for Gold Creek Pond from a Gold Creek Valley cabin owner at https://skiturvalley.wordpress.com/2018/12/07/kct-and-gold-creek-pond-restoration/ If you would like to attend, please register here: https://www.kittitasconservationtrust.org/event/gold-creek-pond-restoration-design-charrette/ The charrette will take place from 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM and will be located at the Roslyn Masonic Hall - 120 W Pennsylvania Ave, Roslyn, WA 98941.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 10:28 am 
Friday April 3, 2020 Scoping Reminder for the Gold Creek Valley Restoration Project In mid-March we contacted you about an open scoping period for the Gold Creek Valley Restoration project. We are reaching out with this reminder that we are still eager to hear from you. If you would like to share information or send comments about the proposal, this initial comment period will close April 12: https://cara.ecosystem-management.org/Public//CommentInput?Project=57415 We also want to let you know that if your focus is elsewhere during this time, we will be offering additional comment opportunities for this project. We anticipate reaching out again this summer through this online notification system with updates on ways to stay involved. Public involvement is a valuable part of the process and the Gold Creek Valley Restoration project will benefit from your thoughtful engagement. Our project page is the best place to go to access current information, find updates, and sign up for electronic (email) notifications and submit comments. Find it at: https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=57415 You can also learn more about the project through our online Interactive Story Map: https://usfs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=316435cb3ff047faaf312a221a301ca8 or this partner produced video:
-USFS-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 10:40 am 
Thanks, Ski. Looks like a really nice plan. Read up on it a couple of weeks ago.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 1:16 am 
Ski, Kim, I watched the vid. Three options, pushed importance to local bull trout population. No discussion of whether any option was better than others in short or long term. Hmm.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 8:00 am 
I'm all for habitat, but I am not fond of "here is what we are going to do, we value your input." I watched the video first and was immediately suspicious of the pond-dewaters-creek claim. Then I saw in the wta report that the creek dewatered in low flow summers before the work was done. What is going on here? confused.gif Gold Creek follows the Gold Creek Fault, the biggest anywhere in the area if I am not mistaken. My guess is that the creek drops below the surface into all that broken rock, and there is not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 11:23 am 
Gold Creek pond is an old quarry, so breaching it and re-contouring the landscape to its original contours puts hyrdologic features back to as close to its original state than it is now, and it dewaters when Nature dictates it, not a man-made feature. It should have been done decades ago. . Comment or not, agree or not, it's anyone's choice. up.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 9:14 pm 
up.gif