Forum Index > Trail Talk > Off-season conditioning hikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 12:54 pm 
Another one: Mount Washington off I-90. It's 3250' of elevation gain, spread over about 4.25 miles (each way). I've never seen this trail crowded (although I've never hiked it on a sunny Saturday in August...). One thing that can be really helpful for these winter hikes is a set of microspikes in your pack "just in case".

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dharmabum

Dharmabum
PostThu Dec 13, 2018 3:18 pm 
Tiger Mtn. is my go to area for winter training hikes. If you want to avoid the crowds stay away from the main Poo Poo Point Trail... Chirico, and the one up to Summit 3 off of I-90. There are many trails which would meet your requirements and can even offer a bit of solitude. My favorite is parking at Issaquah HS and then taking Section Line up to Summit 3, than hitting Summit 2, the Hikers Hut (great views), Summit 1, and from there heading back on various trails until you reach the High School Trail.... which will take you back to where you started. A nice loop which gives you around 8 1/2 miles and 3500' of gain. A Green Trails Map of the area is very helpful.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Dec 13, 2018 3:50 pm 
Dharmabum wrote:
My favorite is
Yep, I used to regularly start at the HS and go up section line to the summits. Or I'd go counter clockwise up the PPP trail to One View to Poo Top to WT1 summit. Then hop the summits to Section Line and down SL back to the HS. Expect for the WT3 summit, I would usually only cross paths with a couple people the entire route.

neek

neek
PostMon Dec 24, 2018 10:58 am 
When I worked downtown, climbing the 43 flights of stairs in our building was an excellent winter workout. Rinse and repeat as necessary. If you don't work in such a building, I'm not sure whether there are any that allow public access. Would be curious to find out. It's boring as heck of course, but beats the gym IMO.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Dec 24, 2018 10:58 pm 
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 1:27 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Cable line on tiger is good for uphill training. 2kft gain and often near/below snowline. Can be muddy. Don't leave valuables in your car there... some tweakers/homeless nearby. Failing that poopoo/cougar/si are my winter workouts. cougar is real boring.
Good call. close, simple, steep. My son and I were there on Christmas day, sloppy but fun. If it's not hard enough, put more weight in your pack.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 1:36 pm 
There's no such thing as "off-season." I prefer Mailbox year-round for training. Unless you go immediately after a big storm there's almost always a hard packed boot path to the summit.