Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trimming Brush on Kendall Peak Lakes Road
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Oct 08, 2018 7:56 pm 
That's a sad story. Will it be cut again someday?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 08, 2018 7:58 pm 
Dat true Lynda and I met on a ski trip in 1981 where we were hit with tree bombs between Kendal Hump and first Kendal Lake.😻

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
bk

bk
PostTue Oct 09, 2018 8:40 am 
Ross, It's probably less than a 50% chance that it would be practical for me to join the effort, but out of curiosity: What day of the week are you aiming for?: Mon. through Fri.? Weekend? What range of week(s)? (Two weeks out? Within two weeks?) Is it a bring-your-own-tool thing? (Cutting tools recommended? to avoid?) Rain-or-shine? Fair weather only?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 09, 2018 10:19 am 
I used to do this quite a bit and found it (for me) to be more productive if I went mechanized. The time consuming part was scooping up the brush and getting it off the road.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
rossb

rossb
PostTue Oct 09, 2018 11:54 am 
bk wrote:
Ross, It's probably less than a 50% chance that it would be practical for me to join the effort, but out of curiosity: What day of the week are you aiming for?: Mon. through Fri.? Weekend? What range of week(s)? (Two weeks out? Within two weeks?) Is it a bring-your-own-tool thing? (Cutting tools recommended? to avoid?) Rain-or-shine? Fair weather only?
I'm flexible. I don't work, and if you (or anyone else) is interested, I would probably work around their schedule. Same with the weather. I don't mind going if it is a little damp, but I think I would rather avoid it if it is raining hard (which is the same approach I take with a lake hike). I was thinking sometime in the next couple weeks. I have enough tools for two, but if you have some, go ahead and bring them. As treeswarper mentioned, much of the time is spent just throwing the brush off the road, so even if we took turns cutting it would go a lot faster. I have a couple good saws though (one folding and a bigger one) which I think would work just fine. Feel free to send me a message if you get more than 50% interested (and want to talk logistics, like the part of town you are in).

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 10, 2018 2:02 pm 
Looks like the weather will be good tomorrow. I think Ill hike up there in the morning. Strangely, Ive never been into those lakes before. Time to correct that one.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 9:08 am 
Bumping thread to give a big thank you to whomever lopped the brush! We had a fun ski up there Saturday, might head back there today.

rossb

rossb
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 9:23 am 
Awesome. I did some trimming this year and happened to run across someone who independently did some as well. It was the funniest thing. As I was skiing up, he was breaking trail on snowshoes. He noted the section we just passed through and pointed out that he trimmed it a couple months ago. I told him I trimmed the area below that. Apparently he has been doing that for years. He has also met a guy who uses a chain saw and mainly goes after the big stuff (something I've noticed as well). Being up there in the summer was weird, and gave me a different perspective. There are long sections where there is really nothing to be done -- they are smooth with moss and maybe a fern on the road, with evergreens off to the side. Then there sections which have tall alders taking up most of the road. With that early wet snow storm, a lot of those fell over, and crossed the road, making it tough to get through. I'll definitely be up there next summer to do some more work. In the mean time, I'll just enjoy what is there. I might head up there today as well.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 11:19 am 
A Safety Alert Just In Case. If anybody is going to cut alder that is bent over by snow, be aware that it will do a mini-barberchair if the pressure isn't released and or snow shaken off, and can do damage to you. I am talking about the small stuff and all alder. Alder is kind of treacherous that way and I have found it to be more likely to do bad things when temps are freezing. Go forth in the spring, when the sap is up and it will stain your clothes. up.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 5:58 pm 
I visit those lakes in the summer quite a bit. Thanks to all for clearing the brush. ~Slim

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
rossb

rossb
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 6:17 pm 
Cool. Is the trail (from the road) really overgrown; if so is it hard to follow? I ask because I was up there today, and had a tough time getting from the road to the lake. This has been the case the last couple years early in the season (when there isn't sufficient snow to cover all the small trees).

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 6:33 pm 
rossb wrote:
Cool. Is the trail (from the road) really overgrown; if so is it hard to follow? I ask because I was up there today, and had a tough time getting from the road to the lake. This has been the case the last couple years early in the season (when there isn't sufficient snow to cover all the small trees).
The last time I visited the lower lake in summer (2015) the trail was easy to follow. But weaved around slash and stumps quite a bit in the first 100 yards or so. With a bit of snow it would be tricky to follow all the wiggles without seeing boot packed dirt.

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostWed Dec 12, 2018 10:35 pm 
re:route to the lake - As Randy says the trail from the road winds its way through blueberry bushes and slash for about 100 yards before reaching the lowest lake/pond. It's a little rough but doable on skis. The middle lake is best reached from the far (north) end of the lower lake. ~Slim

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Dec 13, 2018 8:58 am 
rossb wrote:
Awesome. I did some trimming this year. . . I'll definitely be up there next summer to do some more work.
Great. Hit me up next summer if you want some help.
rossb wrote:
I might head up there today as well.
We skied it yesterday (Wed 12/13). Did we see you? We saw a guy skinning on tele gear, one guy on XCD gear, one snowshoer and two young guys skinning, one on heavy metal bindings. We were on fat fishscales w/Dynafits. We turned around where the route leaves the road bed and turns N through PITA small trees to the lower lake. 7.88 miles R.T./1800' verts. My new titanium knee felt great, although I'd like a bit more ROM (flexion). If the forecast holds, it's gonna get all messed up by rain today.

rossb

rossb
PostThu Dec 13, 2018 9:28 am 
Yeah, we did see each other. I was tempted to ask "Are you Big Steve?" to everyone I passed, but didn't. I was the solo skier on skinny skis. I was the second guy up, and the other solo skier on fatter skis (at least the only other one I saw) turned around about half way up. I did manage to get to the lake, but it was hard, and probably not worth it. As I was heading down and passed you (as well as the other group) I thought (well too late) to tell you not to follow my tracks. It wasn't a great path, but I'm not sure what the best one is. I've been there dozens of times, but only in the winter. I'll have to go up there in the summer and make a mental note where the real trail is (since it would be helpful to follow when there is only this much snow). Nice to know there still is a summer trail. I did bring my little saw and made a few cuts. It is very tricky in the winter, since you don't want to make things worse. It is one thing to have a big branch sticking up, it is another to have a spear. I cut things as low as I could, and packed in the snow around it. Next summer I hope to cut those (and other similar ones) to the ground. Great day to be out and nice to have a bunch of people laying a great ski track. I was afraid I was going to be poling my way down as well, but was able to cruise my way back to the car.