Forum Index > Partners > Baker circumnavigation summer 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostThu Dec 13, 2018 2:00 pm 
Just seeing if there is interest out there for a trip around Mt Baker this summer. I'd like to cross this one off the list, probably in September. I'm thinking 3 days?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSun Dec 16, 2018 3:51 pm 
Not sure what your plans are....all cross country? Here's my trip report for doing this involving biking for a fair portion, but make sure you click on the link in the beginning of the post to access the archived journey of a duo that battled incessant devils club and even took a break to go to the hospital at one point....if this is your plan good luck. I would be interested in a higher ski/skin/hike orbit though...... http://www.williswall.com/willis-wall-blog/2016/8/26/mt-baker-round-the-mountain-823-242016?rq=mt%20baker

I desire medium danger williswall.com

zimmertr
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Dec 16, 2018 10:41 pm 
I thought it was worth extracting the link inside Willis Walls report. https://web.archive.org/web/20070720185015/http://www.pnt.org/hessshepbaker.htm Has anyone seen the mentioned proposal by Bernard Tucker, for a Trail #615, round Baker trail? Best. Pyrites

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostMon Dec 17, 2018 1:34 am 
I've thought about this a couple of different ways, some obviously conceived in a more sober state than others. Some of the navigation on the west side of the mentioned report doesn't make a ton of sense to me from what I've seen of those areas, but maybe (probably) they knew something I don't. I've piece-meal scouted out about 80% of the route, and will probably just defer to lower elevations and established trails whenever possible. I hope to get out on the west side of the mountain early in the summer and survey a little to fill in some gaps in my knowledge of the that area. I don't know as I'd bike the entirety of the north end, as some of the best (imo) off-trail bits of the route are up there. I'll keep putting things together I guess. Thanks for the report, and the link to what sounds like a truly harrowing tramp!

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Dec 17, 2018 8:05 pm 
In revisiting this, if you have done all the research and have a viable plan you can count me in, I'd be up for it. I just had no desire to repeat my bike/hike trip.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostFri Dec 21, 2018 9:38 am 
Yes! Keep me in mind. I am super interested! I studied Willis Wall's route last fall and came to the conclusion that I don't know enough about the area to do a cross-country route. But really don't want to do a bike/hike trip just for aesthetic reasons (even though I am a very avid cyclist). -Jim

ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostFri Dec 21, 2018 10:45 am 
I meant to say, I am totally down for a cross-country route but am not confident I know or can determine the best route on my own at this time. Sounds like a great project though!

TellimaChris

TellimaChris
PostMon Jul 22, 2019 10:26 pm 
Anyone still interested in this? I've long fantasized about a Baker circumnavigation, and have hiked a few segments, mostly on the west and north sides. Anyone want to go on some scouting missions and see what we can piece together?

Jeff List

Jeff List
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 4:28 pm 
I completed a non-stop, on-foot, no glacier travel circumnavigation of Mt. Baker on July 20-21, 2019. My report is here: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxqZWZmc3RyYWlscm91dGVzfGd4OjQ2NjUwMTU4MGY4YWQ4ZTc

Lindsay, zimmertr
jdk610

jdk610
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 9:10 am 
Neat route! Thanks for posting!

ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 4:01 pm 
Indeed. Well done and thanks for posting Jeff List. There is a lot to ponder here. It sounds like the recons were well worth the efforts.