Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The solution to trailhead car thieves?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Dec 21, 2018 6:25 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
One skier in Wisconsin would leave her wallet in her unlocked car while skiing and did not have any qualms about it.
What decade? Things may have changed with opioid addiction in the last decade.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Dec 22, 2018 7:55 am 
15 years ago. It wasn't a very affluent area either--kind of like here in E. Warshington. One of the loggers came across some "kids" who were about to vandalize his equipment. He got them talking to him, without knowing it was his equipment. He got their names, finally told them who he was, and turned them in to ..... the dean of their college instead of the cops. He also did a bit of educating them. I don't know what happened to them. There seemed to be more of a caring way of life. Nope, the meth hadn't hit there yet, but the little town had built a new, bigger jail thinking it would. The plan was for the jail to have a drug treatment facility, because, as one heavily accented guy told me, you gotta treat the people who use dat stuff. I think about half the space had been designed for that. Dunno how that went over as Wisconsin went through the we don't want taxes phase in the last few years and I imagine services were cut. I might have stayed there if family stuff had not come up and if the topography was a bit more interesting. It was a very pleasant place to live. I now live in a place where I guess I can leave doors unlocked because I accidently did for several months. But it is more of a neighborhood thing. No gates but nosy neighbors who keep an eye on things. The first month I lived here, I was out taking my dog on a potty walk at night and was stopped and questioned by the newspaper guy. Nosy is good.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Dec 22, 2018 11:23 am 
There was a recent thread put up about a break-in at the Dickerman TH that Tom locked up just as I was about to post some ranger stories I'd heard. I mentioned one in the support area while commenting on the lock up:
Quote:
the last time I was up on Dickerman (overnight), it was before the parking area was constructed. I stopped at the Verlot station after my overnight...The ranger expressed surprise that my truck hadn't been broken into. Apparently there'd been a rash of break-ins, especially at Barlow Pass. The rangers had a bead on who was doing it (a crew out of Darrington); they'd staked out the Barlow Pass parking lot a few times but couldn't catch these guys in the act. The ranger then told a few horror stories...one of a guy who had his truck broken into, and when they found nothing to steal except a few quarts of motor oil, proceeded to pour at least one quart all around the inside of the cab.
That had to be the worst vandalism story ever - not sure how you'd recover from that one. I always travel with an extra quart, but since that story have taken to caching it in the bushes. In some ways vandalism is worse than a theft; no deterrence for what's purely an "attitude problem".

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostSat Dec 22, 2018 11:56 am 
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/21/glitter-bomb-video-was-partially-faked-former-nasa-engineer-confirms.html

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Dec 22, 2018 1:09 pm 
Your tagline complements this disappointing story twist, CC.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon Dec 24, 2018 10:56 am 
I think the video is awesome.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Dec 24, 2018 12:58 pm 
CC wrote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/21/glitter-bomb-video-was-partially-faked-former-nasa-engineer-confirms.html
Yes, all the powerless victims and potential victims who felt empowered by this (and the other with a man nonchalantly stepping over the dead would be thief) have now been victimized again, LOL. Not that I didn't laugh. . .

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
pcg

pcg
PostMon Dec 24, 2018 1:41 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
...That had to be the worst vandalism story ever...
Until you read this... https://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/topic/102138-tr-bear-mountain-north-buttress-beckey-route-07152018/

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostTue Dec 25, 2018 12:11 am 
Tangent run on post where I share my thoughts and past experiences with regards to car prowlers unrelated to the glitter bomber video. Also, I hate ABBA.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Dec 25, 2018 5:34 pm 
Where would we be if we didn't have tangent intellectual content providers? ABBA is pretty awesome.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Dec 25, 2018 10:07 pm 
If it were not for ABBA, I would not have been able to see "Mamma Mia!" on stage three times! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 9:47 am 
pcg wrote:
Until you read this... https://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/topic/102138-tr-bear-mountain-north-buttress-beckey-route-07152018/
As the above post shows, there really isn't a solution to trailhead thievery or vandalism. Some dingbat can always mess with a car left at the trailhead. <politics removed by moderator>

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 1:37 pm 
^^^^^^ Ding Ding Ding!! It would be hard to top that vandalism story, PCG. Wouldn't have ever thought the Canucks could/would top Yanks in pure malice. shakehead.gif Speaking of awfulness, it's amazing they got Pierce Brosnan into that ABBA retread. When in a certain mood, I sometimes like the music, but even the real ABBA didn't wear costumes that bad. chickenleg.gif chickenleg.gif "This too, shall pass", we kept saying during the disco era. Happy New Year to all ! party.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 4:52 pm 
I'm not so sure about that.... what's worse than sleeveless bell-bottom jumpsuits?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 8:11 pm 
Ski wrote:
what's worse than sleeveless bell-bottom jumpsuits?
Uh, bell-bottom jumpsuits in garish colors with sequins, cowboy fringe and giant collars? clown.gif If it was the film costumers' intent to get cartoonish with the period fashion, they get a "10". I don't know how ABBA got into this thread, but we've careened way off topic now.