Forum Index > Trail Talk > Government shutdown will affect National Parks at the very least
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Damian

Damian
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 7:32 pm 
Maybe. Or likely the exception. That already exists. I'm pleased the gov has eased the rules in favor of trust and personal responsibility. I thought this should happen but never thought it would. Lets get out and use the National Parks and show how it can be done. This is an opportunity for growth. Lets not miss it. And the ocean is the place to go in the winter.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 9:12 pm 
Ski wrote:
Sorry I cannot remove posts where other members have quoted my text, but I've removed all of my previous posts from the thread. Hopefully this will assuage those whose feelings have been hurt. I'm sorry if Santa didn't bring you what you really wanted this year.
Not hurt at all - just like to call out bs when I see it. And its all over this thread. Have a great New Year.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 9:30 pm 
Did I not mention to bring your own potty? How much trail maintenance gets done this time of year? Seasonal trail folks are laid off for the most part.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 10:16 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Did I not mention to bring your own potty? How much trail maintenance gets done this time of year? Seasonal trail folks are laid off for the most part.
All the more reason to find a work party? biggrin.gif I've been enjoying the rainy WTA sessions. I don't usually like group activities but it's a pretty good time.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 11:25 pm 
USGS wrote:
Due to a lapse in appropriations, the majority of USGS websites may not be up to date and may not reflect current conditions.
we are winning now.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 11:52 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Tree, The toilets are being locked over the winter, in part because of the cost of having to pump them out (and the amount that is budgeted is WAY below what it's costing now). Yes, people are crapping in the parking lots (including in front of USFS Volunteer Rangers!). Some light trail maintenance is being done on the popular trails, mostly by volunteers and mostly trash pick up and a little erosion stopping (obviously not when the trail is snow covered). So it's not all gone away, but it's way less this winter than normal as there are less paid people. The volunteers are trying hard to keep things up-- but it's tough! For example, at Greenwater Trailhead last week I picked up 3 large bags of garbage. The problem is that if you don't pick it up, other people think it's okay to just drop trash on top of it!

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 3:04 am 
Several BIG NAMES gonna have to get behind this one!!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 1:04 pm 
xrp wrote:
Merry Christmas! I’m sorry that happened to you. However, did you know that thanks to the trillions of digital photos taken around the world over the past couple of decades, you can enjoy those favorite places without having a carbon footprint? Just use Google images and save the Earth!
up.gif Surely the Earth is more important than a mere personal wish to see a pretty view. smile.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 5:23 pm 
There is more to it than just around the Olympics and Seattle. If yer gonna shut things down, winter is the best time to do it. As I said, and many are not getting..Bring Your Own Potty. THIS is one example of a potty. There are many variations. A Potty

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 5:55 pm 
wonder if this one will still be open?
King's bottom campground outhouse_0317
King's bottom campground outhouse_0317

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 7:25 pm 
that's an awesome one. Tons of ambiance.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 7:46 pm 
just dug that out of an email from 2016 that was sent to my old email account. the story that went with it was kind of interesting. I should probably post it here somewhere more appropriate.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Dec 28, 2018 8:26 am 
Ha! Now we're getting some solutions. Kind of a Back To The Future thing. The Loup Loup used to have a very nice vault toilet. It had multiple stalls just like flushers. It was very cold, but that probably helped with the odor.

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostFri Dec 28, 2018 8:57 am 
xrp wrote:
However, did you know that thanks to the trillions of digital photos taken around the world over the past couple of decades, you can enjoy those favorite places without having a carbon footprint?
Certainly true, but it's just a lot more fun to see in person ya know? smile.gif Plus I need the exercise. Frankly, I hate flying and would far rather drive. Once electric car technology improves to the point where I know there will be charging stations where I need them, I'm all in.

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostFri Dec 28, 2018 8:58 am 
treeswarper wrote:
If yer gonna shut things down, winter is the best time to do it.
My thoughts exactly.