Forum Index > Trail Talk > Volunteers needed in Snoqualmie Ranger District (I-90, SR410 Areas)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostWed Dec 19, 2018 9:26 am 
John...you are truly amazing. The work you do for the FS is important and rare. There are some other folks who do this too, but perhaps not with the diligence that you have. I really enjoyed our trip to Kelly Butte and wish I could participate more in your district. I've made a commitment to WTA and so will continue to give back via them. However, if you find a need for my ( not so ) special talents, you know you have only but to ask. I've already told Marta that I'd like to help with Sun Top/ Kelly butte and will attend the trainings next summer. I've extolled your virtues to her and told her to do anything it takes to keep you happy. ( starting with the missing name tag... smile.gif ) I hope you'll continue to give back to the trails in that district and I hope our paths continue to cross in the future. Your encouragement of others to participate is exemplary and you are a true ambassador and supply a desperate need for the FS. Keep on trucking in whatever truck.... Happiest holidays to you and yours....B cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostWed Dec 19, 2018 10:50 am 
Thanks Bob, but it's guys like you who inspired me to "jump in". The rest of us are just following on the path you've blazed for us! Planning to do a big KB work party in the spring/early summer to tackle the painting/staining/repairs-- and I'll advertise it here and hoping you can come to show us the right way to do some of these things. In the meantime, have a GREAT Christmas! J

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 8:59 pm 
Im in Cle Elum. John, what do they need the MOST of?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 11:06 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Im in Cle Elum. John, what do they need the MOST of?
Thanks Joe, To be honest, it would be great to get more help down on the SR410 corridor, but probably a bit far for you! A bit closer to home, USFS needs help with work on Granite Lookout, trail patrollers on the Snow Lake trail, Melakwa Lake trail, Pratt Lake Trail, and help staffing the Snoqualmie Pass Visitor Center, as well as trail workers on all of the I-90 trails (light trail cleanup, pick up litter, etc) If any of these interest you, PM me and I'll connect you up with the Volunteer Coordinator!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 1:08 pm 
HikerJohn wrote:
As a result, they are talking about closing trailheads, locking toilets, cutting trail maintenance in half, reducing patrols, and locking road gates.
I'm wondering how locked gates means less expediture when they can not patrol and not empty toilets, without locked gates. This gives the impression of the worst customer service ever, where the intention is not making the best of lower budgets, but imposing the most pain possible as a political weapon.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 4:02 pm 
What they stress on volunteers is that they're not to get involved in discussions about politics and funding; a volunteer is there to volunteer and are not to be considered experts. Any questions about budget or management should go to the District Ranger’s office. That way, volunteers continue to volunteer - because who would come back to volunteer again if it they had to deal with fingers being shoved in their faces and being mired in mind-numbing, endless debates. So back to the subject: I encourage anyone who wants to volunteer, to do it! Several on this site do, and it's fun.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 9:13 pm 
JimmyBob wrote:
Can you explain what it would entail, do I need to wear a uniform, or just a jacket/vest/id ? Is there a set schedule, or can it be more of planned hike at a vague time, or check in ahead of time with a coordinator?
JimmyBob, the general rules are 1) pick a date in advance you want to go out and tell the volunteer coordinator (I've done it a day in advance) with a few thoughts to deconfliction with others (so not everyone is going on the same trail on the same day); 2) Check in at the Ranger Station, preferably in person, posting where you are going and when you expect to return, 3) check out a radio, 4) go hike where you said you were going to, checking out of the radio net when you get back to the trailhead; 5) return the radio to the ranger station and log out on the board. I like to go on weekdays and like to go out early, so I tend to head out around 7:00 am, and get back early in the afternoon... the Volunteer Coordinator and the Supervisors are very easy on when and where the volunteers go, so you have a huge amount of flexibility. Does that help??

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 9:14 pm 
Thank-you Kim. Good point!

When I grow up I wanna play.
HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostFri Dec 28, 2018 9:01 am 
This would be fun to do if I still lived out here. Hiking with a purpose!