Forum Index > Trail Talk > Chainsaw use in Wilderness
Previous :: Next Topic  
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 9:12 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Wilderness.net is an interagency website about wilderness management.
Lots of info there, although maybe not exactly what you are looking for.

One report there, might help;  https://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/documents/Wilderness%20Laws-Statutory%20Provisions%20and%20Prohibited%20and%20Permitted%20Uses.pdf
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
IdahoHyker
IdahoHyker

IdahoHyker

IdahoHyker
PostFri Dec 28, 2018 9:19 am 
Thanks Logbear.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 9:38 am 
Chainsaw use within wilderness managed by the USFS is done by a waiver through the District Office (and/or the Supervisor’s Office, depending on temporal & spatial scope of a project). Call and ask to be sure because I might not be remembering correctly. It is not likely the information about what waiver requests were granted is in a reasonable, easy-to-access format. If not, I wouldn’t expect an enthusiastic response. They are a sincere group of people, but government agencies don’t have tight processes and a seemingly simple request usually isn’t.

Check Wilderness Watch’s website; they may have stats, but I don’t know that to be the case; they like to froth up this kind of issue, so there may be something there – but take any info from Wilderness Watch with a grain of salt.

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 9:44 am 
A ‘waiver’, is actually done at Supervisors office, not District.  At least it used to be.
Prior to about 2002 that authority was held solely at the Regional level in the FS.....which is why there were very few waivers granted.
IdahoHyker
IdahoHyker

IdahoHyker

IdahoHyker
PostFri Dec 28, 2018 10:21 am 
jinx'sboy wrote:
A ‘waiver’, is actually done at Supervisors office, not District.  At least it used to be.
Prior to about 2002 that authority was held solely at the Regional level in the FS.....which is why there were very few waivers granted.

The USFS Policy is written at FS Manual Chapter 2320-Wilderness Management and give the Forest Supervisor authority (at 2326.04) to allow motorized (chainsaws) use, except Regional Forester must approve use of tractors for fire fighting.
sooperfly

sooperfly

PostFri Dec 28, 2018 10:50 am 
Here's one verifiable report - I was at the Hidden Lakes in the Pasayten  August 20th-24th 2002.

A small fire was burning above the lakes and on the day I was hiking in the smokejumpers flew in.  They set a camp near Tatoosh Buttes and also down at the lakes.  They wrapped the cabins and other structures with foil, made a tiny dam on Stubb Creek near where it empties into First Hidden and put a gas powered pump there and laid out a lot of sprinkler lines.

They had chainsaws and were putting them to good use.  They felled a large tree that was very close to the main cabin and whacked it up and turned it into a footbridge.  They cleared a ton of trail around the area also.  After working for a couple days a couple helis came in and ferried them and their supplies out.  Took a few trips. 

I looked at my pics of that trip this morning and I didn't get any of the chainsaws in action, but I did get pics of the helis picking them up.

My guess is they got permission to use chainsaws, etc because of the historic structures.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Chainsaw use in Wilderness
  Happy Birthday johncla!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: