Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The solution to trailhead car thieves?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 26, 2018 8:19 pm 
^ those costumes in the final number in the movie are tame compared to the ones they were wearing last time I saw it up at the Paramount. clown.gif clearly what this thread needs is more ABBA! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 2:53 pm 
neek wrote:
Schenk wrote:
Another possible part of a solution: If we take away the paths for criminals to convert stolen property into cash or drugs that would help too. So, therefore I also think a closer watch and regulation (if that is the right term) on Pawn Shops and other mechanisms (eBay, Craigslist, etc.) for criminals to turn ill gotten booty into cash would help immensely. In this day and age it would not be that super difficult to have a central database listing stolen property, at least at a regional level to begin with, eventually expanding to the National level. Many stolen items could be identified (serial numbered, or unique items being the easiest to identify) when some criminal tries to sell them and could be arrested/interviewed/whatever is appropriate for the specific situation.
An excellent idea, but I don't think it will work. Take a look at bike theft. Extremely common. It takes a minute to register your serial number with bikeregistry.com, and it's somewhat effective, but how many people actually do that? If you have, then good for you, but you're in the minority. Serious bike commuters follow a simple rule: have the worst bike on the rack, and the best lock. Kind of like the old saying, you don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than your partner...
I have friends that have had bikes recovered in Spokane because they registered them. I think a pawn shop was involved in one or two of the recoveries, so I think a rudimentary system like this exists already. And, for an example of a similar system that works: auto recycle yards can find a part for your car using a huge network across the US. Recycle yards use a good system to find parts in other yards, and do it all the time. You are right though...people have to buy into the idea and use and support it. A program could be written for tracking property if it is registered and do automatic hunts for stolen property when a pawn is attempted. Yes, there are bigger fish to fry, but the "big fish" are not always as "close to home" like property crime (trail head theft for one) is. It isn't an easy question, but we can keep working on it. Oh...and I think ABBA would be 100% behind this!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Damian

Damian
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 9:33 pm 
Ski you post some weird stuff. But then, a quick search shows 32 pages of posts that include Abba. The site has had this unexplained infection for years. Just doesn't want to die.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Dec 27, 2018 9:40 pm 
What's so weird about ABBA? Besides, touron hasn't posted here for a few years now. If I don't post ABBA, who's going to do it? You want the membership to just forget ABBA? clown.gif
Disco forever!!! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Dec 28, 2018 1:11 pm 
Here's an idea for a potential TH car prowl deterrent: a number of years ago some merchant hit on the "sonic annoyance" method for keeping the local toughs and drug dealers et al from hanging out in front of his shop: he installed a speaker and played opera all day long - it worked! Maybe car alarms could be made which play one or more of the most raucous ABBA tunes, at ear-ache level, in a loop; triggered by any movement within a certain proximity of the car. On the other hand, fast-working smash & grab types might do even more damage because they hate ABBA. hockeygrin.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Dec 28, 2018 2:54 pm 
Schenk wrote:
I have friends that have had bikes recovered in Spokane because they registered them. I think a pawn shop was involved in one or two of the recoveries, so I think a rudimentary system like this exists already.
In the late 1990s a cop told me that since I had a receipt and serial number, if they ever stopped anybody with my bike, I'd get it back. I'm still waiting. I think it's the minority of stolen bikes that ever get recovered, sadly.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Dec 29, 2018 8:31 am 
I like opera sometimes. For instance, here is an example of finding your car broken into after a long and nasty trek.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Dec 29, 2018 11:53 am 
No disrespect intended, but Pavarotti is overrated by modern-day audiences. Sure, he's great, but he just doesn't stand up against a tenor like the incomparable Jussi Björling, here with the oft-imitated, but never duplicated Victoria de los Ángeles. If you're in a big hurry, fast-forward to about 7:40. This is the sound of the angels singing in Heaven:

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Dec 29, 2018 12:37 pm 
While giving that piece above a second listen, just as they were getting to that crescendo at about 12:45 that gives me chicken skin and makes me start crying, the phone started ringing. It was my mother telling me she was leaving for her hairdresser appointment, and she asked what I was doing. When I told her I was listening to Jussi Björling and Victoria de los Ángeles, she asked "Oh! The duet from La Boheme?" I told her "No, "Viene la sera" from Madame Butterfly." "Oh, well the one where they really soar is the duet from La Boheme." So upon Mom's recommendation, here's "Che Galida Manina" (Thy tiny hand is frozen). Reminds me of that scene in The Green Mile where John Coffey is watching Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dancing in Top Hat and says "Angels just like up in Heaven."
A couple weeks ago while I was pulling into the parking lot at the "Dollar Store" to pick up the pie pans, 98.1 KING FM started playing this, and I had to sit in the parking lot with the engine running until it was finished. My mother says she does the same thing, sitting in her van in the garage with the engine running, catching the coda from the Black Swan Pas de Deux or something along that line. She said "It's like the 1812 Overture - you have to wait for the cannons!" I wonder if other people do that too.

contour5

contour5
PostSat Dec 29, 2018 1:46 pm 
Quote:
what's worse than sleeveless bell-bottom jumpsuits?
Male rompers are... strangely intimidating...

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Dec 29, 2018 2:30 pm 
You know, I had a lot of guys laughing and making cat-calls at me in the early 1970s because of some of my "outfits" (like the canary yellow pinwale corduroy bell-bottoms with the two-inch cuffs topped with the black and while chiffon blouse with the little bumblebees and hummingbirds printed on it under the powder blue embroidered jacket), but that "romper" there seriously goes over the edge.